Review of Draft Capital Spent Since 2017

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I question if the Bears indeed needed to trade up at all for Trubisky OR Miller OR Montgomery.

Had they stayed where they are I have seen crazier things. Trubs for sure, biggest threat was somebody trading to 2 for watson.

Miller...we might have been only team that accepted his attitude. I'd guess though of the 3 we needed to jump.

Montgomery was 3rd or 4th or 5th running back on many boards.

fenderpfunk

Liked Posts:
LoL

Going back only halfway through the last hundred seasons...I would still put Finks, Vainisi and Angelo in front of Pace.

People really undervalue what Jerry Angelo did in his "rebuild" years.

Exactly - early Angelo was on fire.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Finks yes

Already kind of makes your original post moot then, but I'll keep playing.

Vainisi No

How is the only GM to have a Super Bowl ring a no?

Wilbur Marshall...Ron Rivera...William Perry...Neil Anderson...even Kevin Butler is a no?

Angelo hell to the no.

Jerry Angelo's teams won three division titles, made two NFC Championship appearances with one Halas Trophy and the only other Super Bowl appearance in franchise history. Seven players he drafted had at least one All-Pro season.

But....yeah...Ryan Pace is just crushing those two.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:

Wilbur Marshall...Ron Rivera...William Perry...Neil Anderson...even Kevin Butler is a no?

Jerry Angelo's teams won three division titles, made two NFC Championship appearances with one Halas Trophy and the only other Super Bowl appearance in franchise history. Seven players he drafted had at least one All-Pro season.

SB ring had little to do with Vainisi, but he was the current GM I guess.
Angelo was horrible and put us in cap hell for shitty players like Mohomad.
Maybe you just don't like Pace but his drafting has been stong, not perfect but strong.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
We all knew that the way Pace went about building this roster, trading up to get his guy, if his guy doesn't work out - your pretty well screwed.

Also, I wasn't so crazy about the Mack trade because I felt this is something you do if you're only missing one piece.
If you get a chance to get a HOF type player in his prime you jump on it everytime. 2 late first round picks is a steal. No chance Oakland would have traded him for 2 late firsts, they expected 2 top 10 picks.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Maybe you just don't like Pace but his drafting has been stong, not perfect but strong.

I think Pace is improving a little more each year, but "better than any other Chicago GM" is laughable. Maybe you just don't like Jerry Angelo, but saying he put us in cap hell with a FA receiver makes it seem like you are clueless.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
I think Pace is improving a little more each year, but "better than any other Chicago GM" is laughable. Maybe you just don't like Jerry Angelo, but saying he put us in cap hell with a FA receiver makes it seem like you are clueless.
Well it was more then just one WR but that was the biggest blunder. Why did they fire him again? My only memory of him is how happy everyone was when he was fired.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
A younger, proven QB? That sounds nice. but how does that actually happen? Young, proven QBs are NEVER available without major injury concerns.

Your questions are moot because the Bears were executing their plan, they spent high draft capital on a young QB who they thought would be the franchise QB and then they surrounded that QB with weapons and an offensive coach. They then capped it off with Mack. I think that was a great plan. Has it worked out like they planned? No. But that's hindsight.

Again, it seems like your whole questions/criticism is about hindsight.

Furthermore, in hindsight, the price CHI paid for the Mack trade seems like a steal with what other lesser players are getting traded for this season.

I just don't seem how anyone can criticize the Mack trade on any level really.

Hindsight and CCS fit better than OJ and a glove.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Yes, a younger proven QB, which is so rare they would be available, hence teams shouldn't really trade two firsts for anything.

And it's not hindsight on my part. I posted these concerns immediately after the trade. At that point I had already reached the conclusion that Trubisky wasn't going to be special. It seems so risky to me.

And I'm not complaining like it's a top concern for me...we got a great player out of it. But how nice would it be to have a couple of firsts now that our o-line is struggling? You have ppl on the board who believe that no QB or RB can be successful here because of the line. (I don't necessarily agree with that...but i'd be nice to have more picks.) Guys will continue to get injured and regress...we need picks.

Nobody went into this season thinking C.Leno, C.Whitehair, J.Daniels or B.Massie would struggle. K.Long is another question, but many thought that a fully healthy K.Long would be someone we could at least get by with, but it's turned out different with K.Long (not sure if he was ever truly fully healthy) C.Leno (Nobody saw him being this bad coming) and the J.Daniels and C.Whitehair position switch hasn't worked, so to now act like ANYONE knew this would be the case before free agency and the draft would be going off of hindsight. If Pace thought it would be this bad i'd have to think he would of taken action in the offseason.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Finks yes, Vainisi No, Angelo hell to the no.

I do think Angelo was better then many think of his time with the Bears but still wouldn't put him ahead of Pace at this point.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Starters
QB - Mitchell Trubisky [Disappointment]
S - Eddie Jackson [Star]
DE - Khalil Mack [Star]
LB - Roquan Smith [Unsure]
C - James Daniels [Disappointment]
RB - James Montgomery [Unsure]

High Level Subs
RB - Tarik Cohen [Good]

Roster Depth
TE - Adam Sheehan [Bust]
DE - Bilal Nichols [Good]
WR - Anthony Miller [Disappointment]
LB - Joel Iyiegbuniwe [Push]
WR - Javon Wims [Good]
WR - Riley Ridley [Unsure]
CB - Duke Shelley [Unsure]
RB - Kerrith Whyte Jr. [Unsure]
CB - Stephen Denmark [Unsure]

Not on roster
G - Jordan Morgan [Bad]
DE - Kylie Fitts [Bad]

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
And before someone jumps on me about James Daniels, he has not been good this year. Moving him to his "natural position" was suppose to help, but he has regressed.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

So J.Angelo, just like every other GM to ever be a GM in the NFL had plenty of hits and misses.

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I was on the Uncle Phil train heavy, Emery drafted some guys some of us actually did agreed with but he hired Trestman and then fucking John Fox(&Pace) came here, I always knew John Fox couldn't develop football players, but the Bears did bring in Pace and he was confusing his first season but Pace grew onto me. So I definitely like Pace more so (b/c of Nagy), even though Pace does frustrate the hell out of me on the first night of the draft(round 1), besides for the last draft(Mack). I guess I'm not sure when we should all actually start believing that we may have found our GM? Isn't that because we had so many shitty GM's the past 30 something years? Kinda feels like the QB situation, we never had longevity at the fucking QB position.
Hopefully Pace takes an TE, or a OT within out first two picks in the next draft. So, we need the Raiders to fuck themselves, hard. I'm trusting Trubisky with room to improve, that's why I'm hoping for an TE/OT.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
So J.Angelo, just like every other GM to ever be a GM in the NFL had plenty of hits and misses.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well it was more then just one WR but that was the biggest blunder. Why did they fire him again? My only memory of him is how happy everyone was when he was fired.

Angelo had plenty of blunders...signing a Pro Bowl receiver was not even close to that list. The Bears were never even in "cap hell", they just had to make some decisions after the Super Bowl appearance...like every other team in the NFL.

He was fired because the team fell short during their Super Bowl runs. Is that the only reason Ryan Pace is the best GM is franchise history? Because he is still employed?

GTFO

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
ooooohhh pleease...not yet Windy.

At this moment it is a disappointment. Both he and Daniels are in sophomore slumps and neither has taken the step we expected.

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
At this moment it is a disappointment. Both he and Daniels are in sophomore slumps and neither has taken the step we expected.
take away his drop this season and than think on that, he's golden man. Last season for rookie he was pure, he got hurt and then we sucked.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
Angelo had plenty of blunders...signing a Pro Bowl receiver was not even close to that list. The Bears were never even in "cap hell", they just had to make some decisions after the Super Bowl appearance...like every other team in the NFL.

He was fired because the team fell short during their Super Bowl runs. Is that the only reason Ryan Pace is the best GM is franchise history? Because he is still employed?

GTFO
I neversaid pace was the best GM in history. I said I think he has drafted well overall. Hits and misses but I like the fact he tried addressing qb and bring in a modern offensive mind. Still needs work out before he gets credit for it but already he is trying to modernize.