RIP John Prine

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
This one really hurts. Some you take in stride and some feel like you got punched in the gut. Haven't felt like this since George Harrison died.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
RIP. I tried to see him perform in 2017, and the show sold out in minutes. Just amazing how many fans he has all over the place without having much if any publicity.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
A true folk legend...
Saw him twice, the last being 2018. He toured with Dan Auerbach from the Black Keys for a limited run.

"That's the way that the world goes round"

R.I.P John

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
RIP. I tried to see him perform in 2017, and the show sold out in minutes. Just amazing how many fans he has all over the place without having much if any publicity.
First show I ever went to was him and Steve Goodman at Ravinia somewhere around '75. Then I saw him and Bonnie Raitt together in Madison in '86. My buddy and I tried to crash their after party in the penthouse of a hotel and got chased out by security. Then I saw all the shows he did on the Cayamo cruise in '15. So I can't complain.

The wold doesn't seem right without that guy in it.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
First show I ever went to was him and Steve Goodman at Ravinia somewhere around '75. Then I saw him and Bonnie Raitt together in Madison in '86. My buddy and I tried to crash their after party in the penthouse of a hotel and got chased out by security. Then I saw all the shows he did on the Cayamo cruise in '15. So I can't complain.

The wold doesn't seem right without that guy in it.

It's nice to know he had this following. I knew his followers were loyal, but it's a bigger group than I originally thought. All my life, whenever I told people I loved John Prine's music, the response was always "Oh yeah, I know him, he's the poor mans Dylan". And it's like... mmmkay, so you only know two folk singers I guess, and are only aware of it in limited quantities, because that's kind of what I hear when people make comments like that. I like Dylan too, so it's no hate whatsoever.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's nice to know he had this following. I knew his followers were loyal, but it's a bigger group than I originally thought. All my life, whenever I told people I loved John Prine's music, the response was always "Oh yeah, I know him, he's the poor mans Dylan". And it's like... mmmkay, so you only know two folk singers I guess, and are only aware of it in limited quantities, because that's kind of what I hear when people make comments like that. I like Dylan too, so it's no hate whatsoever.
I personally know people who believe he is a better songwriter than Dylan, though I don't. What's become even more clear after his death is how many musicians that are successful in their own right (Dylan, Springsteen, etc.) hold him in the highest esteem.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
Maybe we should have a "greatest living songwriter" thread? I'd probably cast an early vote for Joni Mitchell but I'm open to persuasion.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Maybe we should have a "greatest living songwriter" thread? I'd probably cast an early vote for Joni Mitchell but I'm open to persuasion.

I'd mention Rick Rubin, and the conversation would be over.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
I'd mention Rick Rubin, and the conversation would be over.

I didn't realize he wrote. I thought he was a mega producer.

I like John Lennon and Paul McCartney.
Bob Dylan doesn't speak to me like John Prine could

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
I didn't realize he wrote. I thought he was a mega producer.

I like John Lennon and Paul McCartney.
Bob Dylan doesn't speak to me like John Prine could

I really think he is a mega everything in the music world. his wikipedia page is insane.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Love John Prine. So sad to see him succumb to this and I just want to celebrate his life by listening to his music as I always do, rather than let the fact it was Covid19 get me angry.

Prine was well respected and loved within the industry. I really liked the tribute from The Grand Ol Opry in which they said “the Opry staff adored Mr. Prine...”.

Love his sense of humor and humility. RIP, John Prine. The Singing Mailman delivered indeed!

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
I really think he is a mega everything in the music world. his wikipedia page is insane.
I will smoke a J and check it out tonight. That guy has been all over the industry.