Roster Cuts and The Final 53

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well...yes. Absolutely. Bears are in somewhat of a unique situation. The Khalil Mack trade, while being the best acquisition in team's history, has a significant cost. They are losing two first round picks on rookie contracts. David Montgomery trade did the same thing albeit to a much lesser degree. So, it is a mathematical certainty that they will not be able to do things like pay Burton and Shaheen after the next couple of years. So, they need things like a UDFA stepping in without a loss in productivity. Clearly, they set their sights on TE and came up short.

And, yes, they committed valuable resources. Those UDFAs took up valuable preseason snaps. In modern day NFL, you need to find value everywhere.

You need bodies in the preseason......signing UDFA to take up spots is a necessity....you are not necessarily looking for guys to stick on the roster.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Bars ain’t going nowhere.

Cutting Nall sucks but we saw it coming.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Brad Biggs thinks the Bears are going to keep Lucas over Bars. Cutting Bars to keep Lucas would not be a smart move.
I am betting he is wrong, unless they can trade Bars. Where does the Coward injury stand? Maybe they keep both and pup Coward

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Packers cut K Sam Ficken.

napo55

Liked Posts:
Yep (again...). Makes zero sense for the Bears to tip their hands prior to the deadline tomorrow on who they're waiving. Some of those people they want back on the PS. No reason to give other teams advanced notice on their cuts and additional time to decide on claiming or extending PS offers.

Since the Bears have a practice tomorrow (Saturday) due to the short week, all they really need to do is let the 37 "others" know to not report for practice in the morning. The Bears may well ask them to keep the 'cut' information quiet, and dangle the open PS positions as an incentive to do so. Of course, the cut players will inform their agents, who will have competing incentives to cultivate interest in their clients by other teams. Anyway, that would all happen outside of our sight-lines...
The reason to

I can see Nall going to another team if there's interest. The Bears apparently don't value his skill set.