Roster Projection: CB, S

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
CB: Fuller, Prince, Skrine, Franklin, Shelley, Tolliver

Franklin has looked very good in camp and in the preseason game, Shelley has been praised throughout the offseason, and Tolliver has flashed. This is a young deep group and with Prince possibly being a cap cut in 2020 the development of Tolliver and Franklin is going to be an important long term story line.

S: Jackson, HHCD, Bush, McManis

This group is pretty obvious. McManis is better than DHC so he makes the team.

Mikeropod

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. San Antonio Spurs
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Cleveland Browns
  1. San Jose Sharks
  1. Miami (Ohio) Redhawks
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I'd keep Joseph on the PS still, I like him.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

Franklin has looked very good in camp and in the preseason game, Shelley has been praised throughout the offseason, and Tolliver has flashed. This is a young deep group and with Prince possibly being a cap cut in 2020 the development of Tolliver and Franklin is going to be an important long term story line.

You don't think it's a little early to say McManis can play safety better than D.Houston Carson since he's only ever played there in the Carolina preseason game last weekend? I love him on ST and think he's a great backup at NB but we have Shelley for that now. He'll definitely be one to watch and see how well he plays at safety and also that Michael Joseph kid played pretty well last week as well.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
You don't think it's a little early to say McManis can play safety better than D.Houston Carson since he's only ever played there in the Carolina preseason game last weekend? I love him on ST and think he's a great backup at NB but we have Shelley for that now. He'll definitely be one to watch and see how well he plays at safety and also that Michael Joseph kid played pretty well last week as well.
McManis is a core special teams player. He is making the team.

napo55

Liked Posts:
I'd keep Joseph on the PS still, I like him.

Joseph is a better tackler than Tolliver. I think Tolliver is still a question mark. If Joseph shows well in coverage, he could beat out Tolliver. The preseason games will tell the story.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:

I expect Tolliver to take a big step up towards being a starter in the NFL. He has a good strentgh size combination and could be used to cover big targets in situations. Its possible he is a better fit fir this defense given hes not expexted to chase guys for forty yards but stuff them at the line while the pash rush gets after it.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:

CB: I could see that group...

But I'm not yet sold on Franklin. I thought Joseph was one of the best backups in preseason last year, and he's looking good this year so far too. He's at least a lock for PS, but has a shot at the 53.

Toliver is still the heir apparent, and safest guess after Fuller, Prince, Skrine and Shelley, but I want to see more of Toliver, Joseph and Franklin. Who knows what we'll see from Denmark, if anything, this preseason...

CB: Fuller, Prince, Skrine, Shelley, Tolliver, Joseph

Safety: The switch of McManis to S is a bit odd, but certainly something he can handle. He's more important to ST than DHC, but DHC has been steadily improving at ST and S. Bears aren't going to want to demote him. And Bush has been playing well too. At the moment I think it's likely they keep those 5 Safeties - those are 3 core ST guys.

Incidentally, DHC is ahead of McManis on the depth chart. I wonder if they wanted to tell him he isn't a lock?

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
McManis is a core special teams player. He is making the team.

Yeah i agree he's making the team but just not sure if we keep him as our 4th S or keep one of DHC or M.Joseph and list McManis as something other than safety. The coaches have been watching him all TC so they'll know if he can come in at safety if he had to and if it would hurt us or not.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I don't know if McManimal will be safety or reserve nickelback but I know we have coaches and those coaches are paid to do a job and part of that job is to set the 53-man roster but I don't know if the NFL rules association might change that roster limit in the future but they probably won't in 2019 so I'm going to say the coaches probably have an idea about where they are going to put McMansion on the 53-man roster he could be #47 or he could be #33 we just don't know but I bet the coaches know

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
I've always really like DHC. He is a nice under the radar player that I feel the staff feels comfortable with substituting in without a drop in performace. I think he has some experience at CB too and may be versatile to fit in if needed. I like him as a FS backup. He will get his in preseason..I'm sure of it.

I need to see more from Tolliver. And has Mcmanis ever really cracked himself into the starting lineup? As far as actually playing safety, no ST, I like DHC to get the bulk of playing time in front of him

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I don't know if McManimal will be safety or reserve nickelback but I know we have coaches and those coaches are paid to do a job and part of that job is to set the 53-man roster but I don't know if the NFL rules association might change that roster limit in the future but they probably won't in 2019 so I'm going to say the coaches probably have an idea about where they are going to put McMansion on the 53-man roster he could be #47 or he could be #33 we just don't know but I bet the coaches know
Okay T.Ardigrade

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I've always really like DHC. He is a nice under the radar player that I feel the staff feels comfortable with substituting in without a drop in performace. I think he has some experience at CB too and may be versatile to fit in if needed. I like him as a FS backup. He will get his in preseason..I'm sure of it.

I need to see more from Tolliver. And has Mcmanis ever really cracked himself into the starting lineup? As far as actually playing safety, no ST, I like DHC to get the bulk of playing time in front of him

I think we know that DHC is not a starting safety in the NFL.

I think with Prince needing to come off the books in 2020 they will prioritize CBs that may be able to start and potentially save them 8.5 million that can go into Eddie Jackson's extension.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Yeah i agree he's making the team but just not sure if we keep him as our 4th S or keep one of DHC or M.Joseph and list McManis as something other than safety. The coaches have been watching him all TC so they'll know if he can come in at safety if he had to and if it would hurt us or not.
Good question. I haven't watched the preseason G2 yet, and I don't know if McManis can play Safety. I kind of assume he can, as he has the talent, but he hasn't played the position before, so can't assume anything.

I'd also assume the Bears are comfortable playing DHC at Safety when needed.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
I think we know that DHC is not a starting safety in the NFL.

I think with Prince needing to come off the books in 2020 they will prioritize CBs that may be able to start and potentially save them 8.5 million that can go into Eddie Jackson's extension.
At this point, we'd have to say the Bears don't see DHC as a starting Safety. They didn't see Bush or McManis as a starting Safety either, being they outsourced to buy wild-man Dix to play Safety. DHC never appeared impressive at S either.

Bush has gotten the nod over DHC every time. Of course DHC has had a couple minor injury periods too. But they keep making the team and the field.

Plus Dix is only on a 1 year contract. I wonder how much the Bears will want to play Bush & DHC? Naturally I'd assume Dix will get every snap, unless he starts to screw up. On the flip side, if Dix does well, can Bears afford to sign him long term? Seems like we'd only keep him if he was just average...

Bears only have to pay Prince $500K more this yr than last ($9mil is probably worth it); & will cost $1mil dead cap if cut 2020; & he's a FA 2021. I'm not convinced Bears will cut him 2020. Has any backup proved to be a starting CB? We'll probably draft one, but Pace doesn't like to NEED to draft one.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
At this point, we'd have to say the Bears don't see DHC as a starting Safety. They didn't see Bush or McManis as a starting Safety either, being they outsourced to buy wild-man Dix to play Safety. DHC never appeared impressive at S either.

Bush has gotten the nod over DHC every time. Of course DHC has had a couple minor injury periods too. But they keep making the team and the field.

Plus Dix is only on a 1 year contract. I wonder how much the Bears will want to play Bush & DHC? Naturally I'd assume Dix will get every snap, unless he starts to screw up. On the flip side, if Dix does well, can Bears afford to sign him long term? Seems like we'd only keep him if he was just average...

Bears only have to pay Prince $500K more this yr than last ($9mil is probably worth it); & will cost $1mil dead cap if cut 2020; & he's a FA 2021. I'm not convinced Bears will cut him 2020. Has any backup proved to be a starting CB? We'll probably draft one, but Pace doesn't like to NEED to draft one.

I'd argue the Bears were content going into the offseason with Jackson and either DHC or Bush dueling for the other starting position. Ideal? Probably not, but the Bears were more fortunate with getting Haha, then it was a case of them going out and paying good money for another starter. For 3.5 mil a year you cant say no.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
I'd argue the Bears were content going into the offseason with Jackson and either DHC or Bush dueling for the other starting position. Ideal? Probably not, but the Bears were more fortunate with getting Haha, then it was a case of them going out and paying good money for another starter. For 3.5 mil a year you cant say no.
I don't know if the Bears would have signed another starting Safety if Dix was gone. He was a rather late signing, but Dix may have just been on the top the list of remaining Safeties they could afford. But maybe Bears were 'OK' with Bush.

There's certainly mixed reviews on Dix. Some might even suggest Bush is better. I'm glad Bears signed Dix, I thought he looked pretty good, but Adipost's review sure puts a spectre on what he might be.

I just don't see Bears cutting Bush or DHC this year. They are decent experienced backups who are core ST guys. It won't be odd to have 5 safeties cause McManis has been relabeled. But we can't see cutting DHC as a huge loss, just unnecessary.

Last edited: