Roster Projection: DL, OLB, ILB

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
DL [6]: Hicks, Goldman, Nichols, RRH, Bullard, Williams

This is pretty much chalk. I do not see much value in cutting Bullard as he does provide good run reps. Williams may get the boot, but they seem to like him and with RRH kicking outside to rush in the 4 man front I think they can afford to keep more DLmen.

OLB [4]: Mack, Floyd, Lynch, Irving

Man, I wish there was more depth here, but I am not sure there is a 5th guy worth keeping on the roster. If something comes up on the waiver wire I would release Williams from the DL, but right now Fitts looks lost and Betts and Harris are 2 years away. I am not sure that we can waste a roster spot on one of those deep developmental guys.

ILB [5]: Trevathan , Smith, Pierre-Louis, Iggy, Woods

This is one position where I think we could be a little surprised by the cuts. Kwik simply cannot cover and he makes 2 million this season to only play special teams and I am not sure that is worth it. Pierre-Louis popped off the screen in game 1, Woods looks pretty good making the transition and can run, and Iggy is a 4th round pick from a year ago with serious athletic ability. I think Pierre-Louis makes it as the primary backup and special teams ace and the other to are athletic developmental special teamers.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
If Pagano is going to blitz more, ILB's need to be able to cover even more so than in Fangio's defense. Kwik needs to go to a different defense.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
DL [6]: Hicks, Goldman, Nichols, RRH, Bullard, Williams

This is pretty much chalk. I do not see much value in cutting Bullard as he does provide good run reps. Williams may get the boot, but they seem to like him and with RRH kicking outside to rush in the 4 man front I think they can afford to keep more DLmen.

OLB [4]: Mack, Floyd, Lynch, Irving

Man, I wish there was more depth here, but I am not sure there is a 5th guy worth keeping on the roster. If something comes up on the waiver wire I would release Williams from the DL, but right now Fitts looks lost and Betts and Harris are 2 years away. I am not sure that we can waste a roster spot on one of those deep developmental guys
You mean they've lined RRH up as a OLB rusher on 3rd down? I can't remember if I've seen that or not. How'd he do?
Yeah, if he's better than Lynch, Irving and Fitts, give him those reps (when Mack/Floyd rest). He was a OLB, so he should know how to play it correctly, such as being called to set the edge or the very unlikely need to cover. Now that we have Nichols, we still need to give RRH a ton of reps.

Nick Williams always looks pretty good against the backups, and last game was no detour to that. Would be nice if a new guy outplayed Bullard or Williams, but yeah, I haven't seen a better player yet. Why not keep Hicks, Goldman and Nichols fresh and injury free with a some rests. I don't know that we need both Bullard and Williams (with the ascension of Nichols) to do that, but I certainly agree we don't need 5 OLBs if one of them is Fitts, especially with RRH taking some reps.

We kept those 6 DL last year. Williams had 44 snaps in 2018, none for ST, but he is PS eligible. Maybe put Williams and Fitts on PS?

Last edited:

1000ftditka!

Throbbing
Liked Posts:
Civilization, also known as Massachusetts
Woods has played himself onto the 53 Roster. Pierre-Louis is also too important to Special Teams......I think that the obvious is that Kwit gets cut or traded. (He really was exposed in coverage.....just too slow.) Interested in seeing Woods in Blitz pages.....the guy's a Baller....Fast & Strong....reads the field well too.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Well once again one of my biggest worries right now is our depth at OLB just like it was last year. I wish they would just sign Nick Perry or C.Barwin on a cheap one year deal. I like the speed I.Irving brings but he's useless until we get the o-linemen tired enough for him to be able to use his speed cause he doesn't have great hand moves or strength to get around them.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Well once again one of my biggest worries right now is our depth at OLB just like it was last year. I wish they would just sign Nick Perry or C.Barwin on a cheap one year deal. I like the speed I.Irving brings but he's useless until we get the o-linemen tired enough for him to be able to use his speed cause he doesn't have great hand moves or strength to get around them.

Are you more worried about this than OL depth, or TE? how many biggest worries do you have in total?

Natedogg8023

Liked Posts:
Is Kwit trade-able for a 6th to anyone in the league?

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
I expect the Bears to make a couple of trades before cut down day.