Roster Projection: OL, TE

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
TE [4]: Burton, Shaheen, Braunecker, Bunting

I think the final roster spot comes down to Bunting and Sowell. I think you need to keep Bunting, he may actually become a complete TE and he is clearly a value in the passing game already. I think the Bears will keep Bunting, maybe try and PR him, but they will send Sowell to IR so that he collects his 1 million and the position switch does not screw him.

OL [8]

LT: Leno

LG: Whitehair, Bars

C: Daniels

RG: Long, Larsen

RT: Massie, Coward

I actually think this is one of the easiest groups to project unless somehow Coward doesn't make it. Bars and Larsen both looked good in preseason 1, Coward had a rough game but they are high on him and none of the other OTs stood out at all.

napo55

Liked Posts:
If Coward fails, why not try Bars at RT which he played for a season at ND? It's easier to find an OG, so if Bars can play OT, it's a plus.

Bears_804

Liked Posts:
I think Bunting can contribute this season despite his flaws. Hoping to see a lot more production from him over next 3 preseason games.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
This just makes the Sowell change look silly. Bears don't have a hopeful swing OT right now with experience, and Sowell isn't going to make the gameday roster at TE.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
What if we let Braunecker go and keep Sowell? So far, it seems like Bunting can do whatever Brawn can...

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Coward fails, why not try Bars at RT which he played for a season at ND? It's easier to find an OG, so if Bars can play OT, it's a plus.
Bars played RT for ND somewhat as default due to draft losses(Stanley), Steve Elmer unexpectedly stepping away from the team to begin his career and true freshman Liam Eichenberg not being ready to step in right away. Elmer would have kicked out and played RT and Bars stepped inside at guard had Elmer stayed around. Depth pretty much demanded Bars kick out to RT given his experience and size and ND was left trying to figure out a guard spot among some RS Srs/Jrs.

Bars isn't a tackle at the NFL level. He's not athletic enough to do it.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
There isn't really a swing tackle on the roster. Who protects Trubisky's blind side if Leno gets hurt? Coward isn't playing LT and neither is Bars.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
There isn't really a swing tackle on the roster. Who protects Trubisky's blind side if Leno gets hurt? Coward isn't playing LT and neither is Bars.
Cornelius Lucas is 2nd string on the depth chart and has some (limited) starting experience. I agree you can't go with Coward as your backup LT.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Is Alex Bars good enough to start in the league with some development? Might they let Whitehair leave and have Bars replace him? Or Long? Curious as to your thoughts on his ceiling as a player. @WindyCity

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Agreed. Bears Tackle depth is concerning.

napo55

Liked Posts:
Bars played RT for ND somewhat as default due to draft losses(Stanley), Steve Elmer unexpectedly stepping away from the team to begin his career and true freshman Liam Eichenberg not being ready to step in right away. Elmer would have kicked out and played RT and Bars stepped inside at guard had Elmer stayed around. Depth pretty much demanded Bars kick out to RT given his experience and size and ND was left trying to figure out a guard spot among some RS Srs/Jrs.

Makes sense--as long as Clemmings and Lucas (and Coward) look ok at OT. If not, Bars might as well get a shot at RT. If he can't pull it off, then back to LG.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Lucas is a turnstile. Unless he's done a complete 180 from his time in Detroit...

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Coward is having trouble pass blocking. Seems they were thinking he would be a viable option as tackle, Pace has to be watching other teams cuts for possible options.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
TE [4]: Burton, Shaheen, Braunecker, Bunting

I think the final roster spot comes down to Bunting and Sowell. I think you need to keep Bunting, he may actually become a complete TE and he is clearly a value in the passing game already. I think the Bears will keep Bunting, maybe try and PR him, but they will send Sowell to IR so that he collects his 1 million and the position switch does not screw him.

OL [8]

LT: Leno

LG: Whitehair, Bars

C: Daniels

RG: Long, Larsen

RT: Massie, Coward

I actually think this is one of the easiest groups to project unless somehow Coward doesn't make it. Bars and Larsen both looked good in preseason 1, Coward had a rough game but they are high on him and none of the other OTs stood out at all.
I think it's too soon to predict Sowell is out. Got 3 more preseason games. I think Nagy has something in mind for him. Plus, although he's underweight for LT, it doesn't mean he's completely out for the year.

The PS eligibility is complicated, and I'm not sure of Braunecker's status, but Bunting looks good enough to keep and I wouldn't view Braunecker as unreplaceable. I think Bears go Burton, Shaheen, Sowell, Bunting, or maybe 5 with Braunecker.

1000ftditka!

Throbbing
Liked Posts:
Civilization, also known as Massachusetts
Pretty sure that Sowell is on the 53. Braunecker too. (Special Teams) Curious as to what happens to Shaheen. This is his make it or break it year.....

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Pretty sure that Sowell is on the 53. Braunecker too. (Special Teams) Curious as to what happens to Shaheen. This is his make it or break it year.....
He's a DUD. You can't fix turds.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Is Alex Bars good enough to start in the league with some development? Might they let Whitehair leave and have Bars replace him? Or Long? Curious as to your thoughts on his ceiling as a player. @WindyCity
Yeah. He is. Prior to his injury he was a 3rd or 4th round type guy. Doubtful the Bears let Whitehair leave. Bars will be a great interior swing guy who can play either guard position.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
This just makes the Sowell change look silly. Bears don't have a hopeful swing OT right now with experience, and Sowell isn't going to make the gameday roster at TE.
I think the Bears will keep Sowell as a blocking TE and Braunecker will be the odd man out this time. Depends on how bunting performs the rest of the pre-season.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
I think the Bears will keep Sowell as a blocking TE and Braunecker will be the odd man out this time. Depends on how bunting performs the rest of the pre-season.
I thought BB was a great special teamer.

Porkchop

Liked Posts:

Even if Elmer didn't retire, Bars would've been the starter at RT and Elmer would've stayed at RG. If Bars wasn't athletic enough to play Tackle, then Elmer DAMN SURE wasn't athletic enough. Bars was more of a true guard, but he possessed quality athleticism for a guy his size. He just didn't possess the foot speed to be anything more than a solid tackle. Elmer on the other hand, was a great mauler, but while Bars struggled with footwork, Elmer played like his namesake. It was as if his feet were super-glued to the turf. It showed early in 2014, when Elmer started the year at tackle and was mediocre at best, which prompted Hiestand to bump him inside, and Lombard out (despite Lombard also being a middling at best tackle). If you had to pick one to play tackle, it's Bars without question.