Run Blocking Clinic

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You guys watch this game? Here are the big play highlights:

Look at the 49ers blocking. Bears OL is terrible.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I honestly don't understand why every team doesn't just copy the old Shanahan zone blocking schemes. When have they ever NOT worked?

that zone blocking scheme works as an integrated part of a larger system built on lateral motion, crossing routes and TE posts. Its a system that has like 8 money plays that all run out of the same look.

you wont get the same success trying to pluck it out a la carte

And it doesn't work all the time, anyway

check this out

Alterego

Master Debater
Donator
Liked Posts:
worst year i can find is 2015 with the Falcons where the O averaged 3.8 ypc avg as a team but still have 4.11 ypc avg with Freeman and Coleman

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
What’s odd is that under fox they looked like that quite often for Howard and now they couldn’t open a hole for my grandmother.

I hate the constant shifting of tight ends and shivering them in a hole that the running back is then supposed to follow!

One thing is for sure and that is the current blocking scheme is fucking shit and not working! What do they say about trying the same shit and expecting different results?

When Patterson and Cohen run out wide they at least get 4-6 yards but they do it at most twice a game!

What about throwing on first down and running on less predictable downs. Problem is also that our throws are most often so short that the defenses usually creep up to the line.

Nuremberg Bear

Liked Posts:
Did anyone already saw a toos play this season? I can't remember.

Shame this offence.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not responding to anyone in particular, but it is funny...

2017 - fire John Fox, too predictable, Fox ball doesn't work today.

2019 - Our QBs suck. Nagy needs to get back to the basics. We need to pound the rock.

:bearstroll:

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Yeah, but it's 2019. You should be passing the ball 90% of the time. Running is only to silence your critics.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Yeah, but it's 2019. You should be passing the ball 90% of the time. Running is only to silence your critics.
Yeah, but you need a QB to be able to do that...

Holy fudge, maybe Fox was right about Trubisky all along.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, but you need a QB to be able to do that...

Holy fudge, maybe Fox was right about Trubisky all along.

I've thought about that.

When people criticized Fox for not opening up the offense and letting Trubisky throw....there was one point where he said ppl are assuming he's ready for that...lol.

Wow. What do you know? An NFL coach saw him throw in practice and knew something the media and fans didn't.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Fox's last 2 seasons = 8-24.
Nagy so far = 15-5

Daniel and especially OL suck but it's still about Mitch.

Last edited:

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Look at how they move.

Look at the blocking they get playside or backside from Kittle.

The Bears OL cannot zone block because Leno cannot cut off the backside and Long gets his ass kicked on the playside. The one thing that cannot happen against Zone run is front side penetration.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Not responding to anyone in particular, but it is funny...

2017 - fire John Fox, too predictable, Fox ball doesn't work today.

2019 - Our QBs suck. Nagy needs to get back to the basics. We need to pound the rock.

:bearstroll:

Has anyone actually said that? Saying they need to pound the rock better isn't the same as get back to the basics and pound the rock. Sunday was frustrating to watch with the awful 1st down runs that kept going nowhere. Reminded me of Fox Ball

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I've thought about that.

When people criticized Fox for not opening up the offense and letting Trubisky throw....there was one point where he said ppl are assuming he's ready for that...lol.

Wow. What do you know? An NFL coach saw him throw in practice and knew something the media and fans didn't.

This is the guy that kept vouching for Delhomme when it was clear he was done in the NFL.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
The Bears OL cannot zone block because Leno cannot cut off the backside and Long gets his ass kicked on the playside. The one thing that cannot happen against Zone run is front side penetration.

Not an expert like you Windy but I see a lot of plays where the Bears lineman never even got to their man. For instance a running play gets nuked early on and then you see a lineman turned around looking at the ballcarrier and he didn't even get engaged with anyone.

Foot speed issue? Not knowing assignment? Playcall (asking them to move too far)?

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
a)
b)
c)
d) all of the above .... X

cubby chubby

Liked Posts:
It's really depressing watching teams with good OL's doing things that good OL's do.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Not an expert like you Windy but I see a lot of plays where the Bears lineman never even got to their man. For instance a running play gets nuked early on and then you see a lineman turned around looking at the ballcarrier and he didn't even get engaged with anyone.

Foot speed issue? Not knowing assignment? Playcall (asking them to move too far)?

The main problem I see is they do not have the power to move the down guys down the line of scrimmage and stretch the first level out.

This means that the guys who are suppose to climb to the 2nd level cannot get up, which means there are no levels or gaps for the RB to get through.

What we saw last night from SF was about foot speed and crossing the face of the defender to create gaps, but you also cannot get blown straight back into the backfield while you are doing it.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
A lot of obvious things to see in those highlights, but one thing that stands out to me: Bears TEs absolutely fucking suck at blocking. Burton is an undersized pass catcher, but the 6'7 280 lbs Shaheen also blows donkey dick at run blocking because he plays with the pad level of a giraffe. It's telling to me that a guy they brought in 25 days ago (Holtz) is getting multiple snaps, they found a guy off the street who blocks better than our multimillion $ FA, and "traded up to get" 2nd round pick TE. FUcko even runs routes, he dropped a key pass around the 8 minute mark in the 4th, on a 2nd and 8 .

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Look at how they move.

Look at the blocking they get playside or backside from Kittle.

Look how they sustain blocks for a minimum 4 yards upfield and often much further

There are some runs in that highlight where the HB doesn't have to worry about a single defender for 8 yards