Schefter just said robbie refusing to sign with 9ers.

gpphat

2020 CCS Fantasy Football Champ (ESPN League)
Donator
CCS Overall Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Virginia Commonwealth Rams
Gould is forcing Lynch to find another kicker, why would Lynch do Gould a favor? SF doesn't have to cut him, just don't take the franchise tag off the table, no roster spot, doesn't cost anything, fans are happy, Lynch is fucking Gould over. No reason to remove the tag offer, nothing to gain.

I'm not advocating trading for Gould, I've already said if Pace really wants him, okay, if not that's fine.

If I recall correctly I was the only one pissed at Pace for only having one kicker in camp. The only position with one roster spot. Yeah, I know, because of Parky's contract no one was going to beat him out, not the point. The Bears would have been familiar with at least one other K in case of injury of Parky sucking. If they had another guy they knew was good maybe Pace pulls the trigger before Philly.

I think Lynch eventually lets Gould go...once they get another kicker I don't see any GM really holding that grudge for very long. especially for a kicker.

Pace going into training camp last year with just Parkey was stupid...Parkey hadnt had that great of a year before to deserve a 4 year contract, stupid move by Pace. Hopefully he learns his lesson this year.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I think Lynch eventually lets Gould go...once they get another kicker I don't see any GM really holding that grudge for very long. especially for a kicker.

Pace going into training camp last year with just Parkey was stupid...Parkey hadnt had that great of a year before to deserve a 4 year contract, stupid move by Pace. Hopefully he learns his lesson this year.

Reasons to help Gould = 0
Reasons to fuck Gould = 1

Read the SF forum, the fans are freaking out, super pissed that Lynch is being held up buy a kicker, they want blood. Rescinding the tag would be a giant favor to Gould who is forcing Lynch to find another K, the fans would lose their shit. It would be viewed as a weak move that helps Gould and the Bears and does nothing to help the niners. Leaving the offer on the table has no impact on Lynch and the niners other than send a message, "don't fuck with us".

There is literally no reason to take the tag offer off the table, unless Lynch believes making Robbie Gould and Bears nation happy, while pissing off his own fans, is somehow in his best interest.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
The Bears already have a cap hit from Parkey's contract this year, they trade even a 7th rounder for Gould then they will have to pay him what another $3-4M/year? So yes I would much rather hold onto that 7th round pick and use it on a kicker or PS player and use that $3-4M on a FA that will provide some depth or compete for a starting job. You keep claiming that Gould will guarantee success at the position, are you implying that an UDFA will not be successful? If so, I can list out current kickers who were undrafted or drafted in the 7th round that are very successful...one of them being Gould. Again the only reason anyone has a hardon for trading for Gould is because he is a former Bear, any other kicker and no one would be suggesting trading anything.

ok your all over the place here.. first you say trading a 7th round for a kicker is stupid because you can get any UDFA kicker.. and now you want to use that 7th on a kicker and want to list successful 7th round kickers? I'm really not following the logic here. Either your for using draft picks for kickers or your not.

Im not implying that a UDFA will not be successful, but we both have no idea how they will play in the NFL.. in game winning situations.. in "Bear weather" etc.. we know how Robbie has played.. and other then 1 year he has played at a very high level and is currently playing the best he has ever played.

listen if you want to say he will be to expensive, that is a legitimate concern. But we also dont know what kind of team friendly deal Robbie would do either..

gpphat

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Reasons to help Gould = 0
Reasons to fuck Gould = 1

Read the SF forum, the fans are freaking out, super pissed that Lynch is being held up buy a kicker, they want blood. Rescinding the tag would be a giant favor to Gould who is forcing Lynch to find another K, the fans would lose their shit. It would be viewed as a weak move that helps Gould and the Bears and does nothing to help the niners. Leaving the offer on the table has no impact on Lynch and the niners other than send a message, "don't fuck with us".

There is literally no reason to take the tag offer off the table, unless Lynch believes making Robbie Gould and Bears nation happy, while pissing off his own fans, is somehow in his best interest.

How often do GM's have fans dictate their decisions? Lynch isn't going to let Gould go until he has replaced him, once he gets a kicker I don't think it will be long after when he just let's him walk. I get you logic and Lynch could very well do that, but it doesn't seem likely that a GM would hold a kicker who isn't under contract hostage because the fan base may not approve of the decision. Him holding on to Gould to send the message of "don't fuck with us" will end up looking like he is being petty, where letting him go and actually saying "we want players who want to be a part of our team" has Lynch taking the high road

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
How often do GM's have fans dictate their decisions? Lynch isn't going to let Gould go until he has replaced him, once he gets a kicker I don't think it will be long after when he just let's him walk. I get you logic and Lynch could very well do that, but it doesn't seem likely that a GM would hold a kicker who isn't under contract hostage because the fan base may not approve of the decision. Him holding on to Gould to send the message of "don't fuck with us" will end up looking like he is being petty, where letting him go and actually saying "we want players who want to be a part of our team" has Lynch taking the high road

Lynch is petty and already has shown it with his whiny tirades about all the trades he could have made but i doubt he holds on to Gould. I doubt anyone trades for him too so unless Lynch plans on having two spots filled by kicker he will release him

gpphat

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
ok your all over the place here.. first you say trading a 7th round for a kicker is stupid because you can get any UDFA kicker.. and now you want to use that 7th on a kicker and want to list successful 7th round kickers? I'm really not following the logic here. Either your for using draft picks for kickers or your not.

What type of contract does a 7th round pick get? Javon Wims received a 4 year contract for $2.5M last year. So yes I am fine with Pace using the 7th or 6th round pick on a kicker, but trading it for a Gould who's most recent contract with SF was $4M for 2 years along with the Parkey cap hit doesn't make sense financially.

Im not implying that a UDFA will not be successful, but we both have no idea how they will play in the NFL.. in game winning situations.. in "Bear weather" etc.. we know how Robbie has played.. and other then 1 year he has played at a very high level and is currently playing the best he has ever played.

listen if you want to say he will be to expensive, that is a legitimate concern. But we also dont know what kind of team friendly deal Robbie would do either..

Gould didn't do team friendly contracts when he was a Bear what makes you think he would take a team friendly contract now...considering this could be his last NFL contract

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Lynch is petty and already has shown it with his whiny tirades about all the trades he could have made but i doubt he holds on to Gould. I doubt anyone trades for him too so unless Lynch plans on having two spots filled by kicker he will release him

If Lynch keeps the tag offer on the table and Gould doesn't sign it, Gould will not be on the roster. Not on the roster, not getting paid, no negative impact on the niners.

As far as a GM making a move to keep the fans happy, I agree that should never be the motivation. In this case rescinding the tag offer Lynch gains the appreciation of Gould and maybe Bear nation and nothing but scorn from his fan base. For the 15th time why would he want to help Gould and the Bears while pissing of SF fans, it makes no sense.

I would love to see Lynch commit career suicide and take the offer off the table, open up the possibility of a cheap reunion. If Robbie is still having trouble feeding his family, fuck him, too pricey, move on.

gpphat

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
If Lynch keeps the tag offer on the table and Gould doesn't sign it, Gould will not be on the roster. Not on the roster, not getting paid, no negative impact on the niners.

As far as a GM making a move to keep the fans happy, I agree that should never be the motivation. In this case rescinding the tag offer Lynch gains the appreciation of Gould and maybe Bear nation and nothing but scorn from his fan base. For the 15th time why would he want to help Gould and the Bears while pissing of SF fans, it makes no sense.

I would love to see Lynch commit career suicide and take the offer off the table, open up the possibility of a cheap reunion. If Robbie is still having trouble feeding his family, fuck him, too pricey, move on.

I don't think the fan backlash would be that bad over a kicker

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don't think the fan backlash would be that bad over a kicker

I'm basing that on the niners fan message board, so that could be overstated, because those guys were acting super pissed. It could be the same shit that happened here when Roquan Smith held out.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
@number51 one thing to consider is Lynch's standing with players in general.

The one thing that might drive him to pull the tag and let Robbie go at some point would be him not wanting to gain a rep with players that he is a malicious asshole.

Not saying this would guarantee he does it, but there would be a downside to fucking Robbie's entire season, albeit a small one IMO.

At some point he might say "I found my kicker, I made you sweat, now I will let you go as a goodwill gesture towards future players who sign/re-sign with me"

Otherwise you are right, there is nothing really pushing Lynch to let him go.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
@number51 one thing to consider is Lynch's standing with players in general.

The one thing that might drive him to pull the tag and let Robbie go at some point would be him not wanting to gain a rep with players that he is a malicious asshole.

Not saying this would guarantee he does it, but there would be a downside to fucking Robbie's entire season, albeit a small one IMO.

At some point he might say "I found my kicker, I made you sweat, now I will let you go as a goodwill gesture towards future players who sign/re-sign with me"

Otherwise you are right, there is nothing really pushing Lynch to let him go.

I'll buy that, although if Lynch does something nice for Gould it could enrage Robbie's mortal enemy Brandon Marshall.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts: