Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Military will make more medical equipment and rooms to treat people.

Hotels can be turned into rooms.

Experimental drugs are already in trial with good results. They can be used on patients in need.
Anything beyond that and we can just forse residents to turn their homes into makeshift hospitals.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
I don't think a lot of people know this. Worst case they're thinking they have a hospital stay. Well what happens when there is no room left?
The next phase is for the military sets up make shift hospitals, but they aren't equipped to handle an air born virus transmission, so they handle things like broken limbs. Essentially their role is to take a lot of the 'non-critical' items out of the hospital. All the same there are still capacity constraints that will hit and if overwhelmed people start being turned away for what could be life saving care.

This is going to sound terrible, but I think the US will continue to take this lightly until someone everyone knows ends up dying. Could be Rudy Gobert, Tom Hanks or Sean Payton. It's like all illnesses, until you see someone actually die from it you have some sort of connection with you just don't take it that seriously.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Here is what I don’t understand. On that site Pegger provided, it said there were over 13,000 cases active with only 60 in serious or critical. The rest were in good condition. If you are in good condition, don’t they just have you quarantine at home? How could they be out of rooms at this point?

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
The next phase is for the military sets up make shift hospitals, but they aren't equipped to handle an air born virus transmission, so they handle things like broken limbs. Essentially their role is to take a lot of the 'non-critical' items out of the hospital. All the same there are still capacity constraints that will hit and if overwhelmed people start being turned away for what could be life saving care.

This is going to sound terrible, but I think the US will continue to take this lightly until someone everyone knows ends up dying. Could be Rudy Gobert, Tom Hanks or Sean Payton. It's like all illnesses, until you see someone actually die from it you have some sort of connection with you just don't take it that seriously.
How is the US supposed to take it any more seriously than they are? Should we have a soldier holding an automatic rifle at everyone’s door step while some dude in an astronaut suit delivers us a month supply of liquid food?

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
I don't think a lot of people know this. Worst case they're thinking they have a hospital stay. Well what happens when there is no room left?
Just to add, the President, who has the largest voice and reach on all issues related to America, was calling this a hoax less than 20 days ago and was downplaying it's impact as of March 9th. I'm not picking political sides, just stating facts. It's understandable that the American population aren't thinking it's that big of a deal because that's been the leadership's stance on the issue until recently.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Here is what I don’t understand. On that site Pegger provided, it said there were over 13,000 cases active with only 60 in serious or critical. The rest were in good condition. If you are in good condition, don’t they just have you quarantine at home? How could they be out of rooms at this point?
Currently you are not out of rooms, so there's no immediate issue. Per the stats there are:

13,325 active cased composed of:
  • 13,261 in mild condition - meaning they should self quarantine as they can still past the virus onto someone else
  • 64 in serious condition - They will need a hospital bed in an area they can't transfer to another patient
297 closed cases which is comprised of:
  • 189 deaths
  • 108 recovered/discharged

The issue is not the 64 people occupying beds now, it's the 13,261 active cases along with an unknown number of people with mild symptoms who have not been diagnosed. The larger, mild case number will eventually make it's way to more serious cases.

Let's look at Italy currently. Just remember, Italy's population is around 1/10 of the US, so think of this in scale.

Currently Italy has 2,498 serious/critical cases and 30,692 in mild condition. If the US follows the same trajectory of Italy that would be roughly ~25K serious/critical cases and ~300K in mild condition. Here's the kicker, Italy is having more people be diagnosed as carriers (serious and mild) than they are healing people each day. Their numbers are getting worse every single day.

There's not only issues around beds. Some equipment, like ventilators are needed and cannot be shared. All the same, when you go past your health care capacity line bad things happen. The best way to avoid that is to be cautious and take as many precautions as possible to avoid any transmission.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Military will make more medical equipment and rooms to treat people.

Hotels can be turned into rooms.

Experimental drugs are already in trial with good results. They can be used on patients in need.
All of these are very reasonable solutions and there will be more suggestions that come in time.

The flip side of this is that humanity is extremely adaptable and has lived through many horrible global events. The black plague wiped out 3% of the world's population. WW1 had ~40M people die and WW2 was ~85M. There's no question that most of us will survive, but that doesn't mean living through a pandemic will be easy.

I really feel for those that will end up needing an unplanned, emergency surgery while capacities are being tested. All their expectations on what the medical system could offer them will not map over to the reality.

SD Bears

Liked Posts:
Just to add, the President, who has the largest voice and reach on all issues related to America, was calling this a hoax less than 20 days ago and was downplaying it's impact as of March 9th. I'm not picking political sides, just stating facts. It's understandable that the American population aren't thinking it's that big of a deal because that's been the leadership's stance on the issue until recently.

He changed his tune pretty fucking fast, and rightfully so. I agree that added to the country's cavalier attitude at first, but now everyone knows better. No excuses not to shelter in place for 2 weeks unless you're deemed essential. The Florida governor is failing the rest of the country.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Italy numbers HAVE to start to go down in the next 3 or so days. Because if after being in lockdown for 14 days and you still are getting more cases than the prior day, it proves the lockdown is not working.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
I think you build more hospitals
I think that is a great idea, but building a hospital, getting the needed equipment and staffing it with professionals is not something you can do overnight.

It will be the American people through their tax dollars that not only pay of the build/equipment, but the long term cost of single use items (needles, gloves, etc...) and the employees working there. What you are proposing is more government, which the country is often split on.

Hell this $1 Trillion 'bail out' that the President is offering will eventually be paid by.... the American people. I'm not saying we let the economy fall and that stability is needed, but rather the economic impact of COVID-19 will be felt by Americans for the 10+ years that follow.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Right, "likely start date." Nothing definitive, BUT, a decent sign.
Not sure if their lockdown is gonna work or not in the end. Either way, at some point you have to open up the economy and let the general public develop herd immunity. UK was gonna do it right away. That was a mistake. But after a month or so, even if social distancing through a lockdown is not working, the economy has to try and get back on their feet or else everyone will suffer.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Nonsense. 6 weeks ago he was alerting the country and Liberals were calling him an alarmist and racist

jtreal3

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Not official but they said that was the likely start date and the players would resume practicing next week.
:jonesy:Yeah they also said my kids school would only be closed for ONLY3 weeks.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Italy numbers HAVE to start to go down in the next 3 or so days. Because if after being in lockdown for 14 days and you still are getting more cases than the prior day, it proves the lockdown is not working.
I don't think that's the right conclusion to draw.

Italy, like the US, is actually starting to get a grasp what it's exact numbers are. The 4,207 new confirmed cases as of yesterday should not be looked at as that many cases are brand new, but rather of the people infected (serious or mild) they conducted a bunch of tests and that's the number they were able to confirm. It would be almost impossible at this point to figure out where people are within the 1-14 day incubation period.

One thing is clear, the self quarantine is the best defense to avoid healthcare capacities being stretched at this time. Then again, this is still the attitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.