Second Base

Steve_A

Liked Posts:
Second base

I know that giving it to Hoerner is what most fans want but there are some cheap options out there.

Joe Panik
Scooter Gennett
Brian Dozier
Jason Kipnis
Starlin Castro
Jonathan Schoop
Wilmer Flores
Brock Holt
Asdrubal Cabrera
Neil Walker
Devon Travis
Eric Sogard
Brad Miller
Howie Kendrick
Matt Duffy
Yolmer Sanchez
Cesar Hernandez

But who is your pick?

Last edited:

Castor76

Liked Posts:
Looking at his last contract and then adding in his post season success, Kendrick could be looking at an AAV of 5-6 million. He's not one to take a bunch of walks, but he hits well. If he were brought in, he could fill the Zobrist role.

Walker would cost maybe 3 million per. I just don't see him providing anything that Happ doesn't already bring in. The one thing he does have going for him is he'd cease to kill the Cubs with his bat against them.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Hoerner / Happ/ Bote. Just stop the madness and let Theo get back to development not picking free agents.
Remember, Descalso was supposed to be a better option than Stella.
Putting Nico and Javy on the top of the order is going to have a ton of movement and let the Bryants and Rizzos do what they are being paid to do, drive in runs.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Hoerner / Happ/ Bote. Just stop the madness and let Theo get back to development not picking free agents.
Putting Nico and Javy on the top of the order is going to have a ton of movement and let the Bryants and Rizzos do what they are being paid to do, drive in runs.

I believe it was Baez doing that ton of movement that landed him in on the DL at the worst time.

Hard pass

fatbeard

Liked Posts:

That .316 OBP will really result in a lot of RBIs for Rizzo and Bryant...

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:

Hey, when Joe finally let him lead off, he walked twice in one game.

You put the guy in the position to drive in runs, he drives in runs, not take walks which leaves runners stranded.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Any FAs you like out there?

I'm good with Nico going through growing pains and Happ in CF.

They have Bote, Decasio and Russell as is and Short and Ademan pending.

Almora is still 4th OF quality.

The biggest issue going into 2020 is a 8th inning arm. If they are planning a Mulligan I see grooming Underwood and Wick as the set ups. But if they are looking to contend to then they have to address this

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Hey, when Joe finally let him lead off, he walked twice in one game.

You put the guy in the position to drive in runs, he drives in runs, not take walks which leaves runners stranded.

And those were literally the only two walks he's ever taken while batting first in a lineup. In his entire MLB career. His BB% while batting first is the lowest out of any other spot in the order.

https://www.fangraphs.com/statsplits.aspx?playerid=12979&position=2B/SS&season=0

Your point that "he might walk more if he had a manager who gave him a chance" holds no water.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
And those were literally the only two walks he's ever taken while batting first in a lineup. In his entire MLB career. His BB% while batting first is the lowest out of any other spot in the order.

https://www.fangraphs.com/statsplits.aspx?playerid=12979&position=2B/SS&season=0

Your point that "he might walk more if he had a manager who gave him a chance" holds no water.

Like I say, you can make any argument get backed up by numbers.

What else do you see it that huge sample size of 54 at bats out of his roughly 5000 plate appearances other than he was never given a real opportunity to do it.

What I see, is 13 games, he scored 9 runs. So work the numbers and in a 162 game season, he would be on pace to score 135 runs.

Sounds like a prototypical leadoff hitter to me. But lets just keep him anchored in the middle where his explosive baserunning is moot.

Can you break those down between when it was sunny and overcast, day or night, maybe that will show you the fact that you can cut him up with.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Like I say, you can make any argument get backed up by numbers.

What else do you see it that huge sample size of 54 at bats out of his roughly 5000 plate appearances other than he was never given a real opportunity to do it.

What I see, is 13 games, he scored 9 runs. So work the numbers and in a 162 game season, he would be on pace to score 135 runs.

Sounds like a prototypical leadoff hitter to me. But lets just keep him anchored in the middle where his explosive baserunning is moot.

Can you break those down between when it was sunny and overcast, day or night, maybe that will show you the fact that you can cut him up with.

50 PAs is not a small sample size in this context; it's typically when walk rates and strikeout rates stabilize. Baez is what he is as a hitter at this point. He's not magically going to become a different player by hitting somewhere else in the the lineup, nor is he going to change his approach just because he's leading off. And he simply does not get on base enough to put in front of Rizzo or Bryant.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
50/5000 is not a small sample size.

2 walks in 50 appearances compared to 242 total walks in 4950 plate appearances. I guess I cant write that it sounds like he walks alot.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Look I am pretty iffy about even saying pushing a raw gem like Nico into the lead off also.

But the way I see it is.

Javy is a better RBI stick vs a run due to him being a hitter first. Plus those 30+ HR will have more impact with men on base.

Schwarber sucked leading off. He fairs better hitting 3-6.

Happ sucked leading off. As above.

Heyward sucked leading off. As above.

Rizzo did not suck leading off at all. And his impact as a RBI producer was lessened with Schwarber getting hot at that time.

So that is where it stands. I personally would plug Nico into the role. W/e expect little and see what happens. Worst case AAA to adjust to weaker pitching.

But the main benifit to this is the above statement. Keep the proven in roles that they have found success in and let the unproven (who are more gamble vs required production) figure it out.

Look there is no F/A players that fix this issue. Trade sure if you over pay on Mookie it fixes some issues going on but this team has some glaring issues that it makes much more sense clearing payroll this year and making a major offer to him in the off season

And yes that may mean trading Bryant in season for affordable SP.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
That is the whole point now though, we have people whining that our development is shit. We saw nico, yeah, hit .282, .300 on base, for christs sakes he only took 3 walks, but scored 13 runs in 2o games.
That is almost Javy esque. Nico will slap the ball around, Javy will hit with power to the opposite field. Seems like two guys teams cant shift for, the other 6 spots in the lineup, heavy shifts.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
That is the whole point now though, we have people whining that our development is shit. We saw nico, yeah, hit .282, .300 on base, for christs sakes he only took 3 walks, but scored 13 runs in 2o games.
That is almost Javy esque. Nico will slap the ball around, Javy will hit with power to the opposite field. Seems like two guys teams cant shift for, the other 6 spots in the lineup, heavy shifts.

He had 22 BB in 288 PA in the minors. Which is league avg.

Don't take a call up and make more of it. If anything he had a big first day and went up there to prove that he can hit major league pitching.

That under his belt he has to refine his plate approach now.

Steve_A

Liked Posts:
Looking at his last contract and then adding in his post season success, Kendrick could be looking at an AAV of 5-6 million. He's not one to take a bunch of walks, but he hits well. If he were brought in, he could fill the Zobrist role.

Walker would cost maybe 3 million per. I just don't see him providing anything that Happ doesn't already bring in. The one thing he does have going for him is he'd cease to kill the Cubs with his bat against them.
I believe it was Baez doing that ton of movement that landed him in on the DL at the worst time.

Hard pass
Matt Duffy and Yolmer Sanchez on the block.
Duffy offers contact skills while Sanchez brings great D.
Interested in any of these two?

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Jonathan Villar got waived by the orioles. Cubs should put a claim in on him and hope none of the other teams before them do the same. He would slot in as a lead off hitter and play 2B