Shaq Barrett

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Barrett isn't getting out of Tampa. No way. We had our chance to sign him in FA last season and Pace blew that one.

I'd like to see Pace make a run at Matt Judon in FA and draft Alex Highsmith in the 4th or 5th round. Lose Leonard Floyd if he doesn't commit to a 4 year 28m a year deal (7m a season) and the waste of space that is Aaron Lynch. If possible I'd try and top up the OLB ranks by signing Jeremiah Attaochu on a cheap deal as well.

I think Judon is likely going to be asking for $10-13m a season. I'd be interested in him at $10-11m a season.

Vernon Butler is someone else I want the Bears to go after. Potential heir apparent to Hicks (who sadly won't last forever) and someone in the right scheme (with the right attitude) who could be devastating. This money would come from not re-signing Trevathan or Kwiatkoski. You have to make cuts somewhere. I'd roll with Roquan + KPL, Zach Brown or a draft pick and Iggy.

Imagine how devastating this DL would be - Mack, Hicks, Goldman, Butler, Judon. This is perfectly doable as long as Judon doesn't get crazy money elsewhere.

I'd say $13mil is the floor for Judon. I'd bet he gets $16mil, similar to ZaDarius Smith. No brainer at $40mil/4 years but there's no way he's that low imo.

JTaylor072

Liked Posts:
Thats very likely. Barrett however might want to go to a winner. Tampa looks like a literal train wreck. If they do let him go which is unlikely it might be because they intend to fully rebuild.

My guess is you see the tag on him and they go for a sign and trade.

An elite defense could be Paces life saver. Barrett or Dupree could save his career in Chicago
Tampa is not a Train Wreck LOL - They have a coach who we should have hired years ago Arians, they went 7-9 with a Turnover machine at QB.

Tampa has ELITE WR Talent. The Oline is Solid. RBBC approach that works in Arians Offense. The defense is middle of the pack and that is with all the short field's thanks to Winston.

Similar to the Bears they need better play at the QB spot and they are a playoff team. Want to talk about a perfect place for Brady - Tampa is it.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
Tampa is not a Train Wreck LOL - They have a coach who we should have hired years ago Arians, they went 7-9 with a Turnover machine at QB.

Tampa has ELITE WR Talent. The Oline is Solid. RBBC approach that works in Arians Offense. The defense is middle of the pack and that is with all the short field's thanks to Winston.

Similar to the Bears they need better play at the QB spot and they are a playoff team. Want to talk about a perfect place for Brady - Tampa is it.

agreed that tampa is not a train wreck...its not exactly a contender either...they've got a ton of decisions to make on both sides of the ball, C, RT, RB, QB, DE, OLB, CB, S. I don't see brady as a fit maybe when he was younger but arians has always liked to stretch the field vertically...brady has always been more of a short to intermediate passing qb and now with his age i dont think he could fit in a vertical passing scheme...

As for barrett - i dont see him getting away, he will at the very least get franchise tagged and with over 100 mill in cap therre is no concern about being able to fill out the roster and re-signing their own.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
Barrett isn't getting out of Tampa. No way. We had our chance to sign him in FA last season and Pace blew that one.

I'd like to see Pace make a run at Matt Judon in FA and draft Alex Highsmith in the 4th or 5th round. Lose Leonard Floyd if he doesn't commit to a 4 year 28m a year deal (7m a season) and the waste of space that is Aaron Lynch. If possible I'd try and top up the OLB ranks by signing Jeremiah Attaochu on a cheap deal as well.

I think Judon is likely going to be asking for $10-13m a season. I'd be interested in him at $10-11m a season.

Vernon Butler is someone else I want the Bears to go after. Potential heir apparent to Hicks (who sadly won't last forever) and someone in the right scheme (with the right attitude) who could be devastating. This money would come from not re-signing Trevathan or Kwiatkoski. You have to make cuts somewhere. I'd roll with Roquan + KPL, Zach Brown or a draft pick and Iggy.

Imagine how devastating this DL would be - Mack, Hicks, Goldman, Butler, Judon. This is perfectly doable as long as Judon doesn't get crazy money elsewhere.

Vernon Butler is a guy that would be a great under the radar signing. I think your numbers on Judon are a bit optimistic, but Butler, Judon, and Glasgow would be an incredible FA offseason.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
1 - You don't have much cap room (currently 5th last in cap space at $14.5M) - You can make these fantasy arguments to cut players, but so can every team. Let's live in the real world for a second here.
2 - Last year's 19.5 sacks is the outlier, not the norm. Before that in 5 seasons (65 games) he had 14 sacks total.
3 - He plays a premium position and will not be cheap.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
1 - You don't have much cap room (currently 5th last in cap space at $14.5M) - You can make these fantasy arguments to cut players, but so can every team. Let's live in the real world for a second here.
2 - Last year's 19.5 sacks is the outlier, not the norm. Before that in 5 seasons (65 games) he had 14 sacks total.
3 - He plays a premium position and will not be cheap.

Fantasy. These are the most likely thing to happen. Kyle long literally retired most prejected hed be cut.

How is that fantasy?

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Fantasy. These are the most likely thing to happen. Kyle long literally retired most prejected hed be cut.

How is that fantasy?
Long is a reality. He's retired. Papers will be in, but that will be an extra $8.1M. So I was wrong, you'll actually have just over $22M, which is the 8th least cap space (yay?).

When talking about the fantasy moves I'm talking about the thread that asks what you'd do with ~$54M. It's a cute little discussion, but the only teams that fully go into cap creation mode are also the teams that are tanking. I'd add being a fan of the NFL's most active team (Eagles) I'll say sure they always do something, but they never do 1/3 the moves people think are 'no brainers'.

Sure the Bears can create more cap room. They might end up cutting 1-2 players for cap reasons, but then again all teams have similar cap creating contracts, so it doesn't make sense to talk about how flexible your number can be while assuming everyone else's won't move as well.

To focus on reasonable suggestions let's work with the info you have at this time. As it stands the cap space will be around $22M, which leaves you in the bottom 1/3 for cap space. Knowing that is Barrett a realistic option? No.

If you want to go into full fantasy land mode, just do all your moves on Madden, play out the season and celebrate your 'Parents Basement Superbowl' (I'm not implying that you specifically live in your parents basement, just that the Superbowl you have won is extremely useless).