Shark to San Fran

85Bears

Formerly known as 85Bears
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm ok with this.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Apparently didn't want that last $10 million.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Breaking news: Shark has informed SF he feels underpaid, and looks forward to free agency in 2021.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
So for an extra 2 mil a year, they could of had a lot younger starter for 3 more years... SMH
Me think it was more of reuniting a familiar trio of Lester Ross and Lackey then anything else..

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
So for an extra 2 mil a year, they could of had a lot younger starter for 3 more years... SMH
Me think it was more of reuniting a familiar trio of Lester Ross and Lackey then anything else..

I understand where you are coming from (I have issues with this offseason thus far but am withholding judgement because it is still early) but is Jeff Samardzija really a better pitcher than Lackey? Is he a difference maker at all that legitimately gets you closer to a WS? If not, I'm not going to sweat not signing him. But I admit I've never been a big Samardzija fan so I'm a little biased ha. What I do know, and I think most will agree, is that this team needs one more quality pitcher.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:

The Cubs know Samardzija better than anybody else. Perhaps the fact that they weren't willing to go the extra years on him is telling. Cubs offered him $18m AAV but wouldn't go to 5 years. I'm assuming it was only 3, but could have very well been 4.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I understand where you are coming from (I have issues with this offseason thus far but am withholding judgement because it is still early) but is Jeff Samardzija really a better pitcher than Lackey? Is he a difference maker at all that legitimately gets you closer to a WS? If not, I'm not going to sweat not signing him. But I admit I've never been a big Samardzija fan so I'm a little biased ha. What I do know, and I think most will agree, is that this team needs one more quality pitcher.
I dont think there much of a difference between the two
Who knows what left in Lackey tank at 37, last year was a career year for him and crazy year for the whole team if you think about it..

The Cubs know Samardzija better than anybody else. Perhaps the fact that they weren't willing to go the extra years on him is telling. Cubs offered him $18m AAV but wouldn't go to 5 years. I'm assuming it was only 3, but could have very well been 4.

Im guessing when they had their conversation, Epstein probably just gave Samardzija the option to return on a 1 or 2 year option deal to gain value if teams were showing little interest in paying him this year..

Interesting after 2 yrs from turning down Cubs offer of 5/85 , he only increased his value by 5 mil overall. ..

CSF77

Liked Posts:
STL didn't get him. Also Cueto and the Cards had issues.

Cards may not get better while losing Lackey and Hayward

CSF77

Liked Posts:
1st year was 9 mil then 18 per for 4. Not a bad deal. But I feel it had more to do with extending Jake and the conflict in dollars for those 4 years.

czman

Liked Posts:
I guess Shark did not suddenly find extra money after the other guys signed. This is just about what most thought he would get coming in.

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Would've had no problem with the Cubs giving out that contract to Shark. Not the end of the world though

TL1961

Liked Posts:

Or going with a guy they can actually count on.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I guess Shark did not suddenly find extra money after the other guys signed. This is just about what most thought he would get coming in.

It's $10 million less than he claimed was on the table.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Or going with a guy they can actually count on.
He 37, more of a chance for him to gas out then Samardzija

So, we really don't know how much we can count on from him

Remember he lost some velocity last year..
he at that age now where he going to lose stuff faster

DanTown

Liked Posts:
Lackey makes more sense for this organization than Jeff did. They're probably going to be similar pitchers yet the Cubs get Lackey for 3 years less and 58 million less. There was very little reason to give Jeff that deal.

Lackey holds of declining: Theo looks great
Lackey declines quickly: Cubs were cheap and it cost them

The Cubs obviously have only so many long term contracts to give out so who else gets them matters.