Should Almora play every day?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Seeing how the team D just sucks in general, should they just start playing run prevention considering guys like Schwarber are not doing what they were meant to do.

I'm honestly saying Happ in LF and Baez at 2B with Zo rotating them out.

Then put Schwarber at AAA to figure it out.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
He definitely should be starting vs every LH pitcher right now. He's hitting .359/.432/.564 vs lefties over 44 PAs. He's only hitting .194/.231/.242 vs righties. Honestly if you're just going by numbers Jay should be playing more. He's hitting both lefties and righties at .316/.391/.368 and .286/.375/.371 respectively. The power isn't there at all but average and on base are quite good.

All this being said, I would like to see Almora though I've been more of a fan of his than most here. I'd also probably send Happ back down. He's trended WAY down after his hot start. He's hitting .053/.100/.053 the last 7 days with 8 k's in 20 PAs and .154/.214/.256 the last 14 days with 17 k's in 42 PAs. I'd rather have la stella on the bench at this point. Think you could platoon Schwarber vs LH pitching with Jay in left and Almora in CF or move around zobrist or whomever as needed.

I've said it for awhile now but I don't think sending Schwarber down to AAA will accomplish anything because I think he's just going to destroy AAA pitching and then you may bring him back only for him to struggle again. His plate discipline is likely too good for AAA pitching to handle. Despite a horrific season so far he's 28th in the majors in walk rate. He's really not chasing bad pitches(27.8% swing rate on pitches out of the zone). MLB pitching is beating him in the zone. Really they are beating him pretty bad inside and up in the zone. It's honestly a bit similar to Rizzo in 2013 though obviously Rizzo wasn't as bad. But his heat map shows a similar concept of cold areas..

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Versus lefties I'd have Almora leading off in CF and Jay hitting 2nd in LF..

Almora
Jay
Bryant
Rizzo
Zobrist
Contreras
Heyward
Pitcher
Russell/Baez SS
Go with whoever hitting between them

Versus RHers
Jay CF
Zobrist 2B
Bryant
Rizzo
Heyward
Contreras
Schwarber
Pitcher
Russell/Baez

As much as I like Happ, it would probably do him good to go back down and work on adjusting to how he was being pitched to during this bad stretch and be ready for his next call up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I agree, we watched the bullshit of them "protecting" Heywards feeble mental state by keeping him out of pressure lineup situations. I think it would do Schwarber well to go down to 7th and put pressure on Heyward to leadoff already.

I also think letting Schwarber catch would help him at the plate. Watching 130 pitches a game he will see movement all over again.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
It was more about saving runs vs generating them. Think Schwarber is at -5.

I was also thinking something like:

Jay LF
Almora CF
Bryant 3B
Rizzo 1B
Russell SS
Heyward RF
Baez 2B
Montero C

Remember reading last year Montero catching kept the pitcher ERA at 3.16 vs Contreras over 4. So keep Contreras in vs running teams.

It has more to do with running the team from a run suppression view point and letting the O work it self out.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
I agree, we watched the bullshit of them "protecting" Heywards feeble mental state by keeping him out of pressure lineup situations. I think it would do Schwarber well to go down to 7th and put pressure on Heyward to leadoff already.

I also think letting Schwarber catch would help him at the plate. Watching 130 pitches a game he will see movement all over again.

Maddon must have read the forum today. He's hitting 7th.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

Jesus, are you serious?

A guy who is an awful, awful, awful catcher, and is not hitting should start at catcher?

That is the most absurd thing I have ever heard.

He needs to sit or be sent down. He should NEVER catch, EVER.

Has nobody noticed that since we took Montero out of the lineup, and inserted Contreras, every pitcher is worse? I am not saying he is the only factor, but for shit's sake, catcher is a defensive position, and Montero's framing is a huge difference vs. Contreras. (I hate saying that, because I hope for great things from Contreras, but let's face it - the staff is nowhere near as good when he catches. Same was true last year.)

Schwarber as catcher is your answer?????????????/

Holy shot.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
It was more about saving runs vs generating them. Think Schwarber is at -5.

I was also thinking something like:

Jay LF
Almora CF
Bryant 3B
Rizzo 1B
Russell SS
Heyward RF
Baez 2B
Montero C

Remember reading last year Montero catching kept the pitcher ERA at 3.16 vs Contreras over 4. So keep Contreras in vs running teams.

It has more to do with running the team from a run suppression view point and letting the O work it self out.

Jon jay has no place in any starting lineup.