Should Bears target an OLB in free agency?

dennehy

Liked Posts:
i think floyd is back only at their price which imo is going to be around 7-8 mill, if floyd is looking for a payday hes gone.

beasley is not an elite rusher and will never be much like floyd. i think beasley fits better as a 4-3 wlb, for everything pace said in the press conference, the bears need someone who can consistently win 1on1s and beasley has not shown that he can be that...if hes willing to take 4-5 mill on a prove it deal maybe but i doubt he'd do it.

Of course everyone would like a great player like you describe, but the cost would be much more than the Bears can spend.

Also I'd argue Beasley has been a better pass rusher than Floyd, and without a good rusher across from him. But certainly not elite.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Bears can get a guard in the draft and a serviceable RT in free agency.

Draft: OG, TE
Free Agency: OLB, RT
Yeah, "serviceable". That ought to fix the offense.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Beasley has been absolute garbage for Atlanta since his fluke rookie year. The Atlanta radio guys rip him more than Floyd gets ripped here.... by a fucking mile. He can't play the run, is awful in coverage and doesnt get to the QB. He had a better year this year but his sacks came of the unblocked variety.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Beasley has been absolute garbage for Atlanta since his fluke rookie year. The Atlanta radio guys rip him more than Floyd gets ripped here.... by a fucking mile. He can't play the run, is awful in coverage and doesnt get to the QB. He had a better year this year but his sacks came of the unblocked variety.
But guys who suck elsewhere are always attractive to Bears fans. Never mind that he is worse than what we have. He is different, and that, apparently, is what matters.

Not saying I disagree with finding a replacement for Floyd. I just find it puzzling how so many people think any other player is an improvement.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
He averages more sacks per year over five years than Floyd has had in any year in his career, and he's done it without much around him. He's not ideal but he is a far better pass rusher than Floyd.

His 15 sack year was his second year.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Floyd will not be playing here for 13m....

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
You absolutely have to target an OLB. Lynch isn't sticking and I'll be shocked if Floyd is on our roster at the start of the season at the tune of 13 mil, though Pace voiced some praise of him in his presser.

I could see a few one-two year prove it deals. Who wouldn't want an opportunity to prove themselves playing opposite of Mack who draws double/triple teams?

I have to look more at the draft prospects, but from skimming a bit in the past month or so, I haven't been too impressed with the depth at OLB. I think there are better positions to target in the 2nd with nice depth at positions such as OLine, WR, and maybe even QB.

But paying someone 15 mil to play OLB....I'm not a huge fan of that either. We need to hold pat, wait for the dust to settle, and pursue the value buys. There is usually a guy or two who isn't happy with what they were offered and wants that "prove it" deal.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
He averages more sacks per year over five years than Floyd has had in any year in his career, and he's done it without much around him. He's not ideal but he is a far better pass rusher than Floyd.

His 15 sack year was his second year.

You didn't read the post. I'm not suggesting to keep Floyd. You dont watch Falcons games, I unfortunately do considering where I live. Beasley is fucking garbage. End of story. I'm not saying Floyd isnt either.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
But guys who suck elsewhere are always attractive to Bears fans. Never mind that he is worse than what we have. He is different, and that, apparently, is what matters.

Not saying I disagree with finding a replacement for Floyd. I just find it puzzling how so many people think any other player is an improvement.

This. Even his rookie year, his sacks came when Atl had 21pt leads and 11 sacks came against backups or UDFA's. His name wasnt called much in the Superbowl for a reason.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
Of course everyone would like a great player like you describe, but the cost would be much more than the Bears can spend.

Also I'd argue Beasley has been a better pass rusher than Floyd, and without a good rusher across from him. But certainly not elite.

beasley is a better pass rusher than floyd but then again coming out of college the expectation for beasley was he was the best pass rushing prospect in the draft. I remember his combine, he was the top performer in i think all categories he tested in...floyd was pretty raw coming out of georgia but was also used in a lot of different ways. There is no doubt beasley should be the better rusher...having said that outside of 2016 he's been mediocre at best..if you've watched the 2016 season, more often than not the falcons were leading by multiple possessions allowing the defense to just rush the passer. Its no secret that once shanny left and their offensive scoring output took a nosedive so did beasley's numbers.

bottom line here is beasley is a small upgrade compared to floyd and at what cost, from what i've seen of him this season he wasn't double teamed in the games i saw and still had trouble getting to the qb. My ideal guys would be JPP or Quinn, both are versed in the 3-4 and likely wouldnt cost more than 7-8 mill and drafting one to groom. If beasley is going to cost 5 i'd rather spend the extra 2.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
beasley is a better pass rusher than floyd but then again coming out of college the expectation for beasley was he was the best pass rushing prospect in the draft. I remember his combine, he was the top performer in i think all categories he tested in...floyd was pretty raw coming out of georgia but was also used in a lot of different ways. There is no doubt beasley should be the better rusher...having said that outside of 2016 he's been mediocre at best..if you've watched the 2016 season, more often than not the falcons were leading by multiple possessions allowing the defense to just rush the passer. Its no secret that once shanny left and their offensive scoring output took a nosedive so did beasley's numbers.

bottom line here is beasley is a small upgrade compared to floyd and at what cost, from what i've seen of him this season he wasn't double teamed in the games i saw and still had trouble getting to the qb. My ideal guys would be JPP or Quinn, both are versed in the 3-4 and likely wouldnt cost more than 7-8 mill and drafting one to groom. If beasley is going to cost 5 i'd rather spend the extra 2.

I think Quinn will cost more than that, dude got 12 sacks and 24 QB hits last year. If JPP was that price I'd definitely consider it.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:

Im in GA myself. So odd. I was a fan of Beasley coming out of college, but hasn’t lived up to his athletic potential. I think we may have an OLB like that on the Bears roster also.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
I think Quinn will cost more than that, dude got 12 sacks and 24 QB hits last year. If JPP was that price I'd definitely consider it.

your prob right he'll likely cost more but in his career i think he's been in the post season maybe once and dallas sure as hell is not going to be able to resign him...i feel like he'll strongly consider taking a little less money to play for a contender. he's got to have earned a good chunk of change in that time more than 50 mill easy.

jive

Liked Posts:
Bears absolutely should. Floyd has shown that he's just a guy. He can be a decent player, but he's not worth being paid more than a guys like Akiem Hicks, Kyle Fuller, and Eddie Goldman. The upside of Floyd's inflated contract is that we can sign a stud free agent and just pay a little more than we do for Floyd. Whether we sign a stud or just another guy, we come out ahead in either talent or cap space.

As far as the draft, since we have so many needs on offense, we need the early round draft capital for that side of the ball. But, we should take a developmental prospect in the later rounds. I'd love to find another Mark Anderson for 2020.

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Another one of Pace's amazing gems in the top 10.....dude continues to fuck up.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

No thank you on Beasley.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I think something that nobody talks about is how many OLB's are better rushing from a certain side of the line which is usually the left of side of their own line. I think Floyd even put up better sack numbers before we got Mack and he was rushing from that side. Just like o-lineman have better strengths blocking from one side of the line then the other. Can use C.Leno as an example cause he was brutal when we played him on the right side of the line in the beginning of his career and as soon as he was put at LT he was much better. Now calm down cause i'm not saying Leno is a great LT, i'm just saying he was better when moved to the right side and i think that goes for many o-lineman and pass rushers. If we get someone to replace Floyd or rotate with Floyd then it would be nice if he's someone that has shown he can rush from the right side.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bears absolutely should. Floyd has shown that he's just a guy. He can be a decent player, but he's not worth being paid more than a guys like Akiem Hicks, Kyle Fuller, and Eddie Goldman. The upside of Floyd's inflated contract is that we can sign a stud free agent and just pay a little more than we do for Floyd. Whether we sign a stud or just another guy, we come out ahead in either talent or cap space.

As far as the draft, since we have so many needs on offense, we need the early round draft capital for that side of the ball. But, we should take a developmental prospect in the later rounds. I'd love to find another Mark Anderson for 2020.
I actually thought Mark Anderson was over rated. Most of his sacks his rookie season came when he was unblocked. He tended to disappear when the rest of the DL wasn't eating blocks.