Should Pace get another chance to draft a QB?

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
No. Pace wanted Mariota & signed Glennon. Fuck his QB skills

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
None of this matters if he can't get the QB right.

I disagree Sheep. Getting the QB right and the rest of the team wrong doesn't get you home. Matt Ryan, Philip Rivers, Cam Newton, one SB appearance between the 3 of them. Flacco and Manning have 3 titles and I don't think those guys were much better than mediocre.

Arguably, you could say absent a generational QB talent (Brady, Rodgers, P. Manning, Brees) a great defense with an average QB is a pretty decent way to win superbowls.

Ironhead22

Liked Posts:
Yep an idiot puts together a 12-4 team....Oh i forgot this one is already going 8-8.

freddylamar

Liked Posts:
It’s week one! Let’s watch a few more games before firing everyone. Lol

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
we dont have a first round pick so its pointless to think of drafting a QB anytime soon..

Either Mitch will improve enough that with our D and a solid run game we might be able to make a superbowl run.. Otherwise we are fucked.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Do you think that Pace has not done a very good job with the 10 of 11 starters he has replaced on defense since he was hired?

I don't think the Bears have built a glass house at all. I think they have a very stable roster capable of competing for several seasons. Time will tell for sure. But I see so many GMs get hired and only marginally improve the team over a few seasons that when I see a GM substantially improve a team, I tend to want to keep him.

None of this matters if he can't get the QB right.
I disagree Sheep. Getting the QB right and the rest of the team wrong doesn't get you home. Matt Ryan, Philip Rivers, Cam Newton, one SB appearance between the 3 of them. Flacco and Manning have 3 titles and I don't think those guys were much better than mediocre.

Arguably, you could say absent a generational QB talent (Brady, Rodgers, P. Manning, Brees) a great defense with an average QB is a pretty decent way to win superbowls.

Except that's not what I said. Bears have been down the great D no QB route before.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
Let's not blame pace as everyone in football had trubs as the first qb off the board. Every scout and every talking head. If ried had the first pic he would have taken him. O'Brien too. They took what was left.

Tostada

Liked Posts:
I want to see Trubs behind Dallas's oline, dont need zak or Cooper, would be nice, before i judge.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
The offense could win with an RG3... he wouldnt be a perfect fit for this offense but he can scramble and throw.

Scrambling and throwing seens to be an elite trait around here for QBs.

Watson. Who stared down every reviever was able to stare down hopkins. Only he can also get yards eith his legs making defenses hesitate to fall into coverage.

He'll be elite until hes injured

Last edited:

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
we dont have a first round pick so its pointless to think of drafting a QB anytime soon..

Either Mitch will improve enough that with our D and a solid run game we might be able to make a superbowl run.. Otherwise we are fucked.
No good QBs ever came after round 1.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Bears have been down the great D no QB route before.

While Mitch was horrible on Monday, his numbers last year put him completely average in the league (16th overall). That is not horrendous QB play.

I agree with some of what you are saying Sheep, don't get me wrong. I am not saying keep Pace for 20 years if he can't put out winners. But I just cannot see getting rid of Pace with what he has built absent an absolute collapse of this team.

Its been a horrible last 2 games for the Bears. 2 nightmares in a row with that Parkey kick and Mitch laying an egg. Hopefully a couple of wins down the road we will all be thinking more positively.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
No good QBs ever came after round 1.
Sure there is success in the later rounds, but the % drop significantly, I mean for the 2nd round your success rate on a QB is about 45%. And that is just on a QB that has started 3 years.. aka someone like Mitch. So under 50% chance of replacing Mitch Trubisky with someone just like Mitch Trubisky..

I'm not saying we shouldnt do it, but someone drafted outside the 1st round is going to be more of a project so we are not going to see a superbowl run with this D and next years drafted QB. Its just not a reasonable game plan.

So unless there is a vet that wants off his team next year like the Cutler situation (but hopefully better)we are riding with Mitch

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
I have been saying Pace is a fucking idiot for 4 years. He should be fired and deported

Its probably been a year since you posted this. You weren't saying against him while we were 12-4 and winning the division...or in the offseason. Yet, after one week of overreactions here you are..

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sure there is success in the later rounds, but the % drop significantly, I mean for the 2nd round your success rate on a QB is about 45%. And that is just on a QB that has started 3 years.. aka someone like Mitch. So under 50% chance of replacing Mitch Trubisky with someone just like Mitch Trubisky..

I'm not saying we shouldnt do it, but someone drafted outside the 1st round is going to be more of a project so we are not going to see a superbowl run with this D and next years drafted QB. Its just not a reasonable game plan.

So unless there is a vet that wants off his team next year like the Cutler situation (but hopefully better)we are riding with Mitch
I saw the article you are quoting.

Even if the Bears had a 1st round pick its not likely to be a top 16 pick. So going by that article the difference in chance would be 65% vs 48%.

So lets talk about that article. The writers only criteria for a QB being successful is are they a multi-year starter. So in the 81% he shows for top 16 pick QBs he is including players like Cutler, Gabbert, Vince Young, Mark Sanchez, JaMarcus Russell, and a bunch more horrible QBs.

The hit rate on true franchise QBs isnt near that high in any round.

Last edited:

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers

Not true. We could trade into the first round with 2 second round picks. Pace seriously needs to consider this if Mitch does not improve significantly.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers

Even if the Bears had a 1st round pick its not likely to be a top 16 pick. So going by that article the difference in chance would be 65% vs 48%.

So lets talk about that article. The writers only criteria for a QB being successful is are they a multi-year starter. So in the 81% he shows for top 16 pick QBs he is including players like Cutler, Gabbert, Vince Young, Mark Sanchez, JaMarcus Russell, and bunch more horrible QBs.

Link for the article?

dbldrew

Liked Posts:

So lets talk about that article. The writers only criteria for a QB being successful is are they a multi-year starter. So in the 81% he shows for top 16 pick QBs he is including players like Cutler, Gabbert, Vince Young, Mark Sanchez, JaMarcus Russell, and a bunch more horrible QBs.

Yes sorry if i wasnt clear the % is not for a top 10 QB but just a QB that ends up being a starter.. Mitch Trubisky is considered a success according to the article. So under 50% and you could end up with another Trubisky Quality QB which solves nothing.. and my point is even if you do draft someone (and unless Mitch lights it up this year) I still think we should.. It will not help our superbowl window with this Current D

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I blame John Fox for putting Mitch within reach.