Signs of Growth for Trubisky?

Kazu2324

Liked Posts:
Eyeing the signs of Bears QB Mitch Trubisky’s growth in a ‘microwave society’

ByAdam L. Jahns
@adamjahns | email

On the Bears’ first third-down play against the Seahawks on Monday, quarterback Mitch Trubisky could be heard yelling “kill, kill” at the line of scrimmage.

Trubisky motioned running back Jordan Howard into the backfield, gestured to his receivers and switched the play.

“We give him the keys to the car,” Nagy said.

In this case, and in other instances throughout the Bears’ 24-17 win, according to Nagy, Trubisky steered the offense in the right direction. He hit receiver Allen Robinson on a quick slant for a 13-yard gain and a first down. It kept Nagy’s scripted game-opening drive going. Seven plays later, tight end Trey Burton scored.

“[Trubisky is] able to make some choices with that through game study and film study,” Nagy said Wednesday. “That was growth to see him do that last week.”

It’s growth that doesn’t always reveal itself in highlights or in fantasy leagues. But it’s important that Nagy sees Trubisky continue to develop as the season progresses.

Patience might be a tough sell for the Bears, but it’s the details of such plays that Nagy is closely watching as the outside world incessantly compares Trubisky to the Chiefs’ Patrick Mahomes and Texans’ Deshaun Watson.
“It’s a microwave society,” ESPN analyst Louis Riddick, a former personnel executive who worked with Nagy with the Eagles, said in a recent interview.

“Everybody wants everything instantly. [Some] guys are fortunate enough to have some success right out of the gate. A different fan base who obviously aren’t fans of the team where the guy is having success says, ‘I want my guy to be like that. I want everything to line up for my guy just like that.’

“Well, I’ve talked about it over and over again since I got into the media, that there’s so many things that go into determining the success and failures, especially with quarterbacks.”

Nagy knows that well. If Trubisky is going to be compared to Mahomes, then it’s important to note that Nagy played an instrumental role in Mahomes’ own development last year when
he was backing up Alex Smith.

At this point in the season, Nagy is being mindful of his offense’s “volume” for Trubisky. As Nagy said Monday night, he also will protect Trubisky if needed with his calls, though his goal is for Trubisky to be unaware. Nagy’s primary focus is Trubisky’s eyes. He wants him to see what he’s seeing as his play-caller.

“It’s hard to see it on tape or anybody that just watches the game on TV,” Nagy said. “But I can tell you right now, his eyes are going to the right spots and he’s understanding what to do with the ball with the reactionary actions that he has to the defense. Right now the biggest thing for him is I just want him to be able to play fast and trust where he’s going with the football.”
Mahomes experienced what that meant over the course of a full season of meetings and film study with Nagy and Smith. Trubisky, who has completed 69.6 percent of his passes in two games, described that part of his learning process as getting “closer and closer.”

“[It’s] just communication and trying to become really one brain wavelength, [where] we’re just thinking the same thing and going through the same thought processes,” Trubisky said.

Against the Seahawks, it was identifying a blitz on second-and-one, setting a new protection with emphatic calls that could be heard on TV, then making a quick throw to the right flat to Howard, who gained 18 yards.
Or it’s a three-yard completion to tight end Trey Burton on first down after Seahawks defensive back Akeem King came off his coverage on Burton and blitzed.

Such plays might seem dull compared to Mahomes’ high-scoring exploits, but Nagy needs them to happen.

“Progress and process never stop,” Trubisky said.

Still think there's lots that Trubisky needs to improve on. I dunno how much this really means in the grand scheme of things if he still can't make the throws he needs to, but hopefully this is a step in the right direction.

Kazu2324

Liked Posts:
When does growth turn into production because if this Sunday I see a 190 yard 1 td 1 int type of performance my Samsung is going through the kitchen window.

Agreed, I still want to see all of this actually translate onto the field and to see actual plays happen in the 2nd half of the game. Things get way too anemic after halftime and it's driving me crazy. Also, step up in the fucking run game! We need Howard to get 20 carries a game minimum

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Ah sorry Db70! didn't see that! If mods still exist, feel free to delete or redirect! Thanks.

It's all good, i just wanted to put it here so you and others can see the replies this article already got and now we can just add to it in this thread.

JUSTWIN

BANNED
Liked Posts:
Even a snail makes progress right.

TastyPertinentBuzzard-size_restricted.gif

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
He has done well avoiding pressure and against the blitz.

His legs are a real weapon and while I want him to calm down a bit, his ability to run and make plays on the move should never be coached out of him.

Camden Cutler

Black Boy Fly
Liked Posts:

His legs are a real weapon and while I want him to calm down a bit, his ability to run and make plays on the move should never be coached out of him.

more of a weapon than his arm

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
I will give till game 12 to judge much. This is a young QB in a complicated system with new players and blocking scheme. He won't be peaking for 2 more years min. But I think he can be decent by years end.

Matt2012

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Wisconsin Badgers
One thing that few have mentioned is that he hasn't taken any of those ugly sacks yet that he took last year. His pocket presence has absolutely improved.

Monster

Liked Posts:
Seems better each week... the second half of the season could be a lot of fun.

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
When does growth turn into production because if this Sunday I see a 190 yard 1 td 1 int type of performance my Samsung is going through the kitchen window.
What if Howard and Cohen have 200 collective rushing yards and 3 tds?

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
I will give till game 12 to judge much. This is a young QB in a complicated system with new players and blocking scheme. He won't be peaking for 2 more years min. But I think he can be decent by years end.

Sunday will be his 15th start.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
more of a weapon than his arm

Lets hope not and hope in time he'll calm down some and start believing in his arm as much as he believes in throwing on the run.

r1terrell23

Liked Posts:

If he was producing 290and 3 tds there wouldn't be much growth left. I think he will be fine, but it looks rough now. The only reason why we are mad is because our defense has played well so far. We all said we wouldn't see much gain from Mitch until after the bye.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

Surprised you haven't done that already with the next Eric Dickerson, Derrick Henry. I thought he was special?

Menchifus

Liked Posts:

I actually noticed a marked improvement in his panic level between the Packer game and the Hawks game. In the Hawks game, I would count out how many seconds he would stay in the pocket before bailing out. He was staying quite a bit longer and he wouldn't be dancing around the pocket as much. I was expecting panic mode after the 2 INTs.

One thing I'd like to see is more confidence and calmness when throwing downfield. His problems showed with the missed pass to Gabriel and the underthrow to AR. I think this problem is a holdover from the Fox days of being too afraid to make mistakes. Also, there's so much pressure on the kid. With time and more game experience, these types of scenarios will be routine to him and he'll respond favorably.

Menchifus

Liked Posts:
For the Cardinals game, at minimum I'd like to see this stat line: 60-65% comp, 200-250 yards, 2 TDs, 0 INTs.

seabear

Liked Posts:
I've decided not to judge him until the season is over. Of course, I reserve the right to change my mind.