some perspective: Gregory's failed drug test

bearsfaninSD

Liked Posts:
The guy is injured a lot and his weight fluctuates, I'm glad he failed a drug test. It saves us from drafting a potential bust...it took the decision right out of our hands.

Randy failed two drug tests at Nebraska, it is rumored Gregory wasn't hurt but they used that excuse to keep him out of games for the failed piss tests.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Again, issue with Gregory is not "he smoked a joint." It's that it was chronic and he was psychologically dependent on it to cope with stress. So, more or less stress playing in the NFL vs. Nebraska?

Well, he did have to deal with that Bo Pellini fuckwad.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Also, I keep reading snippets about "other character issues" with Gregory, in addition to the smoking. Nothing specific but apparently there were a lot of concerns about him even before he pissed hot.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think that teams are looking at what Houston has become and will make them second guess letting him slide past them. As another poster pointed out though, it's hard to invest a 1st round pick on someone coming into the league under the substance abuse radar already. That being said, I would love for us to grab him in the second, I never wanted him with our first pick anyway.

What is the price difference between a 7 pick in the first and 7 pick in the 2nd?

Icculus

The Great and Knowledgeable
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Army Black Knights
Warren Sapp tested positive at the combine.
Just sayin

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
I think that teams are looking at what Houston has become and will make them second guess letting him slide past them. As another poster pointed out though, it's hard to invest a 1st round pick on someone coming into the league under the substance abuse radar already. That being said, I would love for us to grab him in the second, I never wanted him with our first pick anyway.

Is he Houston or is he Josh Gordon? That's exactly why he'll slide. Big question marks and uncertainties.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Though I knew guys that seemingly had to smoke every day, I saw then kick that chronic habit a lot easier than any alcoholic I've met. While it's always an issue, it's hard to compare the dependence of a pot head to an alcoholic.

theOHIOSTATE!

Liked Posts:
Not interested in this guy at #7....and I am shocked some still are.

The biggest fantasy I hear regarding him is that he has the "frame to put on 30lbs"....

Uh, no he doesn't; he is as thin hipped/narrow shouldered as they come and came in shorter/less long and less explosive than advertised at the combine even as he was drastically underweight. Oh, and spare me his weights when he isn't running a combine 40, I can eat a bunch of salty foods and drink a gallon of water and put on several pounds too. What happens during camp when those lbs come right back off?

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He plays stronger than he looks or measures. Whether he can put on weight or not, he's already athletic enough to be a rush LB instead of DE. I hope Beasley drops but I wouldn't complain about Gregory.

strobiwan

Liked Posts:
I normally don't take much stock in what mike gholic says, but he had a good point when he said that Gregory failed the idiot test.
only a real dumb ass would risk such an important event in his life, over weed.

hell, atleast with roids, you could say he was trying to be a better player.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
With roids, you couldn't trust what you saw on the field. Yes. him failing the idiot test is certainly something to consider but you can't equate pot to roids or alcohol.

theOHIOSTATE!

Liked Posts:
Guy has every incentive in the world to come into the combine heavy/muscled, and he comes in lighter than he was even listed (which was already light).....

Guy has every incentive in the world to stop smoking pot a month or 2 out from the combine, and again he can't do something simple for millions of dollars....

Guy had all that talent yet somehow found himself at JUCO instead of a top program out of HS....

That's 2 too many red flags for me, and now people are trusting him to put on 20+lbs of good weight and keep it on through a grueling NFL season? That makes sense to people??/

The guy used length and technique and VERY good hands to overwhelm people at NU playing decent college level competition. He won't get by with just that in the league.

strobiwan

Liked Posts:
With roids, you couldn't trust what you saw on the field. Yes. him failing the idiot test is certainly something to consider but you can't equate pot to roids or alcohol.

I was speaking more from a players perspective than a scout perspective.
at least with PED's , you could kinda understand the risk.
with weed, its like, you really couldn't take a few moths off, what a dumbass.

I mean either way its extremely stupid to have any thing illegal in your system, going into the draft.

strobiwan

Liked Posts:
I don't really have to mush of an opinion on the guy, but the thing that jumps out at me is.
there are o-linemen that have a 100 pounds on the guy, that's just crazy to me.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
I hope they don't pick this guy. Why take a player that will already have a strike in the program at 7? He's not a slam dunk even without the failed test. If all the edge rush talent they like is gone except Gregory, they should go White, Cooper, Waynes, Shelton or their top rated O Lineman. Scherff might be a little early at 7 but imagine putting that nasty SOB next to Kyle Long.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He's not one of my personal top 7 but he's my 3rd edge guy just ahead of Dupree. How much the pos test hurts his stock, I'll leave up to the GMs.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
i personally don't care about the weed test. What would bother me is that the guy proved to have bad judgment. He knew he would be tested. That is likely going to cost him draft position and money. And it could be a strike against him. So, is this a guy with the judgment and maturity that you want at #7.

BearDown104

Bears Guru
Donator
Liked Posts:
If he's there in the 2nd, by all means. Just not at 7 in first round.

ELduderino

Liked Posts:
Let us not forget, this is his 3rd failed test. He will go the way of Josh Gordon. He is not worth the risk of taking in the 1st or 2nd.
download2_zpsbywwbpgz.jpg~320x480