some perspective: Gregory's failed drug test

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Many have been wondering how Gregory's failed test will affect his draft status.

The latest example I can come up with is Justin Houston. He was regarded as a first rounder and a top 20 talent by many. Then goes on to piss hot for marijuana at the combine, as a result, he slides into the 3rd round.

This very well could be Gregory's projection as well when you take in other factors like, the depth of this class and questions about his weight.

Just something to chew on. Doesn't mean it will happen. One thing is for certain, failed drug tests and a history with said drug will push a player down GM's big boards regardless of talent.

Houston's college production for reference.
http://www.georgiadogs.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/houston_justin00.html

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
Interesting comparison as both classes were loaded with pass rushers. I wonder how many teams look back and wish they hadn't passed on Houston though.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Interesting comparison as both classes were loaded with pass rushers. I wonder how many teams look back and wish they hadn't passed on Houston though.

In hindsight, I'm sure every GM would love to have Houston on their respective team. Regardless, coming into the league under the substance abuse policy is not a joke. Investing high picks on prospects with red flags that can't be ignored is something I'd be weary of also. Financially and the fact that you're counting on the player to be available for every game and be a difference maker on top of it.

bufordht

Liked Posts:
Hmmmmm, Gregory in the third...

bufordht

Liked Posts:
Depends, I'd ask my magic 8 ball.

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
I'd be very happy if he dropped to the Bears second round pick and the Bears drafted him. Amari Cooper+Randy Gregory or Vic Beasley+Randy Gregory or La'el Collins+Randy Gregory would be great.

Major Ursa

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Utah State Aggies
I can't see Gregory sliding out of the first unless there are more issues we haven't heard about. One of the late picking teams will pick him up and get richer in the process.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If Fowler, Beasley and White are gone, I take him in one and not look back.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
[video]http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-path-to-the-draft/0ap3000000481730/How-far-will-Randy-Gregory-fall[/video]

Alterego

Master Debater
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think that teams are looking at what Houston has become and will make them second guess letting him slide past them. As another poster pointed out though, it's hard to invest a 1st round pick on someone coming into the league under the substance abuse radar already. That being said, I would love for us to grab him in the second, I never wanted him with our first pick anyway.

77AZ

Liked Posts:
Two Words - Vontaze Burfict

Some guys are just made for the NFL.

This guy will be a stud no matter where he is picked.

PAPABEAR77

Liked Posts:
Many have been wondering how Gregory's failed test will affect his draft status.

The latest example I can come up with is Justin Houston. He was regarded as a first rounder and a top 20 talent by many. Then goes on to piss hot for marijuana at the combine, as a result, he slides into the 3rd round.

This very well could be Gregory's projection as well when you take in other factors like, the depth of this class and questions about his weight.

Just something to chew on. Doesn't mean it will happen. One thing is for certain, failed drug tests and a history with said drug will push a player down GM's big boards regardless of talent.

Houston's college production for reference.
http://www.georgiadogs.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/houston_justin00.html
130820033034313112.gif

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Again, issue with Gregory is not "he smoked a joint." It's that it was chronic and he was psychologically dependent on it to cope with stress. So, more or less stress playing in the NFL vs. Nebraska?

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
With the 7th pick, you don't take a risk on a guy like this. He isn't a no-brainer pick at #7 anyway without the failed drug test so I think this just puts the nail in the coffin of him being the Bears pick.

PAPABEAR77

Liked Posts:
With the 7th pick, you don't take a risk on a guy like this. He isn't a no-brainer pick at #7 anyway without the failed drug test so I think this just puts the nail in the coffin of him being the Bears pick.
agree

Liked Posts:
The guy is injured a lot and his weight fluctuates, I'm glad he failed a drug test. It saves us from drafting a potential bust...it took the decision right out of our hands.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
"@PFTonNBCSN: "Randy Gregory is a guy who John Fox will target with the 7th pick." - @RossTuckerNFL #Bears"