Sources: Owners push for an expanded season

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm interested in the revenue split because it feels like I'm missing something. Players want to be sure they would be compensated for the extra games. Players' contracts are based on the cap. The cap is based on revenue. Revenue will go up as TV contracts reflect more games people will actually watch. Thus more games means more revenue, higher cap, and players getting paid more. Am I missing something for why players think this is financially (obviously physically is a different story) bad deal for them?

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm interested in the revenue split because it feels like I'm missing something. Players want to be sure they would be compensated for the extra games. Players' contracts are based on the cap. The cap is based on revenue. Revenue will go up as TV contracts reflect more games people will actually watch. Thus more games means more revenue, higher cap, and players getting paid more. Am I missing something for why players think this is financially (obviously physically is a different story) bad deal for them?

More games per season means more players are out of the league before they have the three accrued seasons needed to qualify for a pension.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I think a lot of players are thinking of the physical costs.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
If they go to 18 games then you're going to see even more injuries. More injuries means a diluted product. I will pass. I don't want to see playoff runs with teams starting 40% backups. (yes, I pulled that number out of my ass.... but you get the point)

Keep the 16 game season.

Keep the 4 game pre-season. Just acknowledge that some coaches like Nagy will not play the starters and turn it into a development league.

The NFL isn't broken. It works great. I'm tired of people trying to fix it all the time. Leave it the fuck alone already.

(except the pro bowl, can that shit)

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Its also a negotiating tactic so the owners end up "giving" back something they never had.

gobullschi

Liked Posts:
- Eliminate 2 preseason games

- Eliminate ProBowl Game (just an honor)

+ Add. compensation if voted into "Probowl"

+ Add 2 Regular Season games
* Start season earlier

+ Increase compensation for players in playoffs

+ Add 1 Bye Week
*1 Bye week must be before all Thursday Night games

baredown

Liked Posts:
I think CCS just solved this issue in under 90 minutes, but I am sure the NFL will drag it out for close to two years.

Except for that minor, pesky fact that the players don't want ANY more games, period. Without NFLPA getting onboard with more games, there can't be an expanded schedule. Can't see the owners pulling a lockout over this in 2021, and in fact can't see the owners waiting until 2021 to get a new CBA in place. They might as well just accept 2 preseason games, an 18 week/16 game (2 byes...) regular season, and an extra week of playoffs (two more wild cards per conference and elimination of the playoff byes). There will be enough new broadcast revenue from that to raise everyone's boat.

By the way, this has been discussed ad nausium in other threads. In those threads, a lot of people couldn't seem to grasp that: [1] the players really don't want more games; and [2] they have the leverage to hold to that. Apparently, some people still aren't grasping that...

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If they go to 18 games then you're going to see even more injuries. More injuries means a diluted product. I will pass. I don't want to see playoff runs with teams starting 40% backups. (yes, I pulled that number out of my ass.... but you get the point)

Keep the 16 game season.

Keep the 4 game pre-season. Just acknowledge that some coaches like Nagy will not play the starters and turn it into a development league.

The NFL isn't broken. It works great. I'm tired of people trying to fix it all the time. Leave it the fuck alone already.

(except the pro bowl, can that shit)

I think I pretty much agree, but there is still the problem of charging season ticket holders for preseason games

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
By the way, this has been discussed ad nausium in other threads. In those threads, a lot of people couldn't seem to grasp that: [1] the players really don't want more games; and [2] they have the leverage to hold to that. Apparently, some people still aren't grasping that...
Not sure how anyone thinks the players have the leverage. They clearly got their asses handed to them last time.

Who is more desperate to not lose a season:

1) An $100's+M owner whose non-football life will not be altered?
2) An NFL player that has a finite number of years (5-6 years) to earn lifetime wealth?

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Send the 12 teams with the worst record down to the XFL.

20 teams. Play everyone once.

Get rid of overtime.

3 points for a win. If tied after regulation, 1 point each.

Playoffs for the top 8 (divisional round, no wild card).

Bottom 3 teams get relegated to the XFL with the top 3 XFL teams getting promotion to the NFL.

Sorted.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Except for that minor, pesky fact that the players don't want ANY more games, period.

My personal opinion is the same. The players will probably want more than the owners see worth it if the owners even bother to seriously push it.

Preseason may get reduced if both sides really do agree, but they will probably just go back and forth on revenue sharing for months.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:

Get rid of overtime.

Bottom 3 teams get relegated to the XFL with the top 3 XFL teams getting promotion to the NFL.

Sorted.

giphy.gif

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Except for that minor, pesky fact that the players don't want ANY more games, period. Without NFLPA getting onboard with more games, there can't be an expanded schedule. Can't see the owners pulling a lockout over this in 2021, and in fact can't see the owners waiting until 2021 to get a new CBA in place. They might as well just accept 2 preseason games, an 18 week/16 game (2 byes...) regular season, and an extra week of playoffs (two more wild cards per conference and elimination of the playoff byes). There will be enough new broadcast revenue from that to raise everyone's boat.

The players actually will cave if the owners give them what they want...and they want a lot.

1. Revenue split
2. Stadium credits
3 Franchise tag
4. Fifth year option
That’s just the tip.... the players have the leverage

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
What about having an international Sunday midseason, 16 games around the globe, followed by a league wide bye week, sort of a celebration of the league and eliminate the monstrosity that is the Probowl. That would eliminate any complaints from teams having to face an unequal number of teams with bye week advantages that would come up with spread out additional bye weeks.
A week off of football in the middle of the season? That is terrible.

How about back to back international weeks with :
1. 16 games with 8 of them being international the first of the international weeks
2. 8 international games the 2nd week of international play with the teams who played internationally the week before all have a bye week
3. 8 regular games where the 2nd group of teams get a bye week

This would allow for 18 weeks of football (would still have a normal bye week), 16 international games, less preseason games while adding only one game to the season. You can get rid of the probowl at any time, be it 16, 17 or 18 games with 2, 3 or 4 preseason games.

One thing that can happen is that the 16 games are played at only 8 locations. Logistics would be much better to deal with 2 weeks at the same stadiums than to deal with 16 different stadiums. Of course, depending on the demands of international fans, it could be 8 stadiums or 16.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:

Get rid of overtime.

Sorted.
Fuck that soccer shit!!!!!

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
The Premier League is the greatest sports league on the planet.

Here in America, the NFL is King. That is all that matters.
tenor.gif