Sources: Owners push for an expanded season

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Disagree. I think it works very well.
Explain how a win against a winning team in week 10 is the same as a win against the same team in week 17 when that team is sitting out all of their starters?

Pretty damn unfair when it is 1 win. Now imagine that that one win is worth 3 points.

Now imagine a close loss to that team in week 10 and your rival gets 3 points for beating that team's scrubs and your team ends up out of the playoffs by 1 point.

Garbage.

By the way, I actually like soccer but don't watch much of it besides the World Cup.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Here in America, the NFL is King. That is all that matters.
tenor.gif
Here in America, only drunk or high idiots turn their back to traffic when they stand in the road.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Explain how a win against a winning team in week 10 is the same as a win against the same team in week 17 when that team is sitting out all of their starters?

Pretty damn unfair when it is 1 win. Now imagine that that one win is worth 3 points.

Now imagine a close loss to that team in week 10 and your rival gets 3 points for beating that team's scrubs and your team ends up out of the playoffs by 1 point.

Garbage.

By the way, I actually like soccer but don't watch much of it besides the World Cup.

I didn't expect anyone to think I was seriously proposing the NFL adopt the soccer format.

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Just make em wear flags and then you can have a 20 game season.

Midway Monsters

Liked Posts:
What they should do is ditch two preseason games and add two regular season games. Since it takes such a physical toll on players bodies, expand the rosters to 60 and make it so players can only play 16 games and sit out two games to rest and recover (which games would be determined by coaches). QBs and kickers can play all 18.

In baskeball top level players sit out some games for “load management” and in baseball starting pitchers only play every 4-5 games so I don’t see why it can’t be done in football.

This would make it like each player getting two extra bye weeks while not adding more games they currently play, and fans get better quality football by allowing for two more regular season games, which would bring in more revenue for players and owners.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
The only way I would consider this as a player is a change to salary structure where contracts will have to be 100% guaranteed plus a pay bump for the extra games

And owners will get their two extra games the extra revenue and maybe throw in for teams if a player gets injured their cap figure doesn’t count against the cap

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My personal opinion is the same. The players will probably want more than the owners see worth it if the owners even bother to seriously push it.

Preseason may get reduced if both sides really do agree, but they will probably just go back and forth on revenue sharing for months.

They aren't going to cut preseason games without adding revenue somewhere else.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This one's on the NFLPA, not the owners, but how about a MAX CAP for QB annual pay!??
There's certainly a prob. with the very top being overpaid at high risk to GMs and at expense of good to fringe players getting dropped to afford these dozen or so "franchise" QBs, often before they even prove it - See FA QB contracts.

- Add 1 or 2 games, with an extra bye AND
- Expand the cap a bit more to accommodate 60 man rosters!!! IF coaches had more depth, they could limit snaps of their starters more...esp in non-close games. Esp the RBs & DEF front 7 who get hit the most. Might dilute the product a tiny bit only in these situations, but allows some flexibility and stretching of same hits over extra game or 2. Fantasy owners might hate this, haa - or embrace the added challenge?

I love the 1 added neutral site game idea. Seems to reason this would bring in more TV $$$ and other $$$ than 1 extra regular game?? Am I wrong here?

Unless pre-season TV airings are worth a ton, I can't see how it's not at least a 2:1 income of regular season to pre? Thus, killing 2 pre & adding 1 regular foreign soil neutral site game should be about equal at worse right??

I can't see how owners would gripe about an extra bye if season started earlier in place of trash pre-seas week or 2.

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am very anti QB cap. Teams with elite QBs are already generally annual contenders. I don't see any specific reason to make it even easier on them.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am very anti QB cap. Teams with elite QBs are already generally annual contenders. I don't see any specific reason to make it even easier on them.

I'd say that's more often untrue than true. Brady's the big exception to your point but he took a huge rich guy rich wife discount. Russell Wilson, Rodgers, now Dak, hell, even average to shitty FA QBs can hamstring a roster for at least a few years dep on when their contract hits (MIA, DEN, WASH, SF, etc)

All QBs. Teams that don't hit big in their one tank draft swing are rarely getting their money's worth and putting out a good product when half these guys don't deliver. FA is far worse yet, then they're punished 4-5 years after the draft if the QB does hit even moderately enough where they can't afford to lose him or start over.
Just to throw out a rough #, cap at say, $21 mil. Enough to hurt, but not handcuff and overeat from the table at expense of others. I do believe there still MUST be an emphasis on strong drafting. Can't have all teams be capless or anything of course. Just more equal distribution from QBs to the rest of the players so owners don't get pinched nor the 98% of NFL players.

Brees, Luck, maybe Ryan...inaccurate media crushes on AR12 & GB due to past success, while he hurts their cap big time, as does the Cousins ordeal further North.

Just food for thought

Also found a chart from 2014 showing the disparity of QB pay even 5 years ago.

Attachments

• 1566976519024.png
    1566976519024.png
    232.4 KB · Views: 7

gilder121

Donator
Liked Posts:
I certainly get your point but I feel like what you're arguing for is a market adjustment, not a cap.

Bearfanuk

Liked Posts:
Send the 12 teams with the worst record down to the XFL.

20 teams. Play everyone once.

Get rid of overtime.

3 points for a win. If tied after regulation, 1 point each.

Playoffs for the top 8 (divisional round, no wild card).

Bottom 3 teams get relegated to the XFL with the top 3 XFL teams getting promotion to the NFL.

Sorted.

OOO tasty I like this one. Give me some god damn Packer relegation * evil Vince laugh*

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Owners want more games to recoup lost revenue from losing preseason games. Not sure splitting revenue from a single game at a neutral site would cut it.

Owners have been talking about an 18 game season for so long, I kinda think that is going to be the main push.

NFLPA would demand a 12.5% increase to everyone's salary.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
This one's on the NFLPA, not the owners, but how about a MAX CAP for QB annual pay!??
No way the players ever try to limit their own pay. This would cause huge fighting within the NFLPA and probably lawsuits by QB's against their own union.

I originally thought by Max Cap you meant a max cap hit regardless of salary. The union would love this but it would quickly lead to what amounts to a Cap # that basically doesn't count QB's as most teams would all max out the starting QB and thus have the same non QB money to spend.
That would allow teams to overpay questionable FA starters like , Cousins and Garapollo, without penalty for making bad decisions. Hell, teams would cycle through aging overpaid starters on Max deals with impunity. Their should be consequences for making a bad decision to overpay any player.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Owners want more games to recoup lost revenue from losing preseason games. Not sure splitting revenue from a single game at a neutral site would cut it.

Owners have been talking about an 18 game season for so long, I kinda think that is going to be the main push.
Attendance at international games are likely to be around 70,000 sell outs at regular ticket prices with added revenue from extra regular season TV games nationally and revenue from the local country TV revenue, not to mention merchandise sales in the country vs. the reduced cost preseason ticket and a 1/2 filled stadium and TV on only local affiliates. If they did it all the same week with a bye to follow they could spread the games out over Thu, Fri, Sun, Mon with 4 games a night to maximize TV revenue.

gilder121

Donator
Liked Posts:
NFLPA would demand a 12.5% increase to everyone's salary.
I'm sure they will, but to me that's a bandaid to get to the time when the TV contracts get increased/renegotiated (The NFL has been eyeing this for a while, there are probably provisions in the current contracts). I'm sure it matters to the starters who are playing more, but ultimately it's a short term thing which the NFL will probably give in to after long negotiations and concessions, then write it off because they expected it anyways and probably already will have the revenue to support it.