Speed WR

msadows

Liked Posts:
We all have RG as the top need but after that there's multiple positions that need backups. But we need a WR2 cause we need to keep A.Miller playing mostly slot so that puts WR up on top of the list after RG for me. I still have RB up there to cause we need a true #2 to play behind Monty.

And...thats...why they got jimmy graham.

The Patriots have been doing it for years.

Ad2ElI6QDvkt0sz8BPnPprC9dVBEF71yzmGHNqhZ6Y2rENzHeKWeZm6vqouiBu2BWWBX8ZLZ-ZxwySwkG3_PR9JmfdsXrpJ9zasOqiSt-DLM2X65N0J1zYzojPtDzDQEsYUMZr1eHlZ3pbdgQ2s

I predict we see a lot more of this formation this year.

msadows

Liked Posts:
OT/OG are not the same as WR in this draft. WR is easily the deepest position in this draft.

I am not talking history. I am talking the Chicago Bears. It is a higher hurdle for a Tackle to supplant Leno and Massie than it is for a WR to supplant Wims/Ridley. The former duo are established in this league and have a history of starting a lot of games and being decent. The later duo are not established impact players in the NFL and may never be.

So when you combine the draft being deep at WR and Wims/Ridley being unproven players, I think it is more likely a 2nd round WR beats out Wims/Ridley than a tackle beating out Leno/Massie. As for G, there is not point me discussing guard because I am in favor of drafting a G with the other 2nd round pick. It is easier to find guards in the 2nd round than Tackles IMO.

I would also say your stat is sort of pointless because starting games doesn't mean they are good. Daniels has started more games than Miller but Daniels has been fucking terrible while Miller has been decent as a 3rd WR which again is my point. A WR doesn't need to start to contribute. You blow a pick on a T that loses to Lenon/Massie and he is on the bench since you don't sub OL like you do WRs.

Our RG/RT combo were some of the worst in the league. I don't think its a higher hurdle to replace the worst in the league, but okay.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
And...thats...why they got jimmy graham.

The Patriots have been doing it for years.

Ad2ElI6QDvkt0sz8BPnPprC9dVBEF71yzmGHNqhZ6Y2rENzHeKWeZm6vqouiBu2BWWBX8ZLZ-ZxwySwkG3_PR9JmfdsXrpJ9zasOqiSt-DLM2X65N0J1zYzojPtDzDQEsYUMZr1eHlZ3pbdgQ2s

I predict we see a lot more of this formation this year.

No matter how much you reply to my posts about how you think we're fine at WR because we got Jimmy Graham or whatever other reason i'm gonna always think we need another WR, we could actually use a couple WR's but i'm good with getting one if it's in free agency or the draft and then bring 1 or 2 in in UDFA.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Our RG/RT combo were some of the worst in the league. I don't think its a higher hurdle to replace the worst in the league, but okay.

Again already said I expect us to draft a G in 2nd and to sign a vet G so we aren't talking about Guard.

To date, Massie has been a much better player than Wims/Ridley so yes it is harder to beat him out. Being a bad starter is still better than being a terrible backup. Ridley and Wims were terrible back ups. Ridley didn't even get on the field for 12 weeks. Wims had 303 passing snaps and less than 200 yards. Out of 101 qualifying players he ranked 100th in yards per route run. 100th out of 101. All manner of WRs play with bad QBs or on teams with shitty OL. Wims was so fucking useless he found a way to finish 100th out of 101 WRs. Truly remarkable.

Again none of this is to say they can't develop but let's call a spade as spade. As bad as we may think Massie is, he is still much better at this point of his career than either Ridley or Wims and it isn't really close.

Liked Posts:
What about Denzel Mims or Chase Claypool? Size and speed. Bowden out of Kentucky also would be nice in the 5th.

msadows

Liked Posts:

tgmxd

Liked Posts:
I know many of us want the Bears to draft a speed WR but do we need a speed WR?

Dumb article. Sighting the success with Cutler, marshall, and jeffery is bizarre. Even with that much talent you could argue they underachieved as an offense because they didn't have any speed receivers to take the top off and create space.

It was important in 2013 and its even more important now in 2020. You have to get somebody with some speed so stretch the field.

All the best offenses have receivers with speed (Ravens with brown and the chiefs with hill and hardman) The great offenses have multiple ones now.

Its not about how many catches or targets they get, it's how they literally change the way defenses have to play everything you do as an offense when they are on the field which creates space for everybody else.

They don't have to be Hill or Desean jackson to open things up for the entire offense

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Dumb article. Sighting the success with Cutler, marshall, and jeffery is bizarre. Even with that much talent you could argue they underachieved as an offense because they didn't have any speed receivers to take the top off and create space.

It was important in 2013 and its even more important now in 2020. You have to get somebody with some speed so stretch the field.

All the best offenses have receivers with speed (Ravens with brown and the chiefs with hill and hardman) The great offenses have multiple ones now.

Its not about how many catches or targets they get, it's how they literally change the way defenses have to play everything you do as an offense when they are on the field which creates space for everybody else.

They don't have to be Hill or Desean jackson to open things up for the entire offense

I agree and have been on the side of saying we do need to get a speed WR.