dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
There is a difference between spending our top draft pick on a WR #2 and signing a guy who knows the scheme and can contribute immediately. If he comes cheap I wouldn't mind him. And Robinson was a very good vertical threat in college. Like I said, 40 times are dumb.

You say 40 times are dumb but you've also been using them like crazy the last couple of days in your arguments with whoever you're going back and forth with on that day or at that time of that day.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
You say 40 times are dumb but you've also been using them like crazy the last couple of days in your arguments with whoever you're going back and forth with on that day or at that time of that day.

its just how like he got on me for saying we can wait and draft a WR in the 5th round, but now he’s advocating for doing exactly that.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Throughout the 2018 season, Miller struggled with a left shoulder injury, which he detailed to Colleen Kane of the Chicago Tribune. Among the revelations was the fact that Miller’s shoulder was far worse than many believed. He “painfully dislocated” it “maybe five or six times.”

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/2019/04/04/chicago-bears-anthony-miller-shoulder-surgery/

Keep in mind with Miller, he is not necessarily saying all the time when it is injured. He dislocated it 5 or 6 times in 2018 according to him. No telling how many times he did so in 19 but this is no small issue in my opinion. We often see Miller apparently short arming passes or not going up there to get a ball and I think he has problems raising his arms above his shoulder and is conscious of going on the ground as one bad landing and its another dislocation as we saw in Week 17.

So I doubt Week 17 was the first time in 2019 the shoulder bothered him. Huge reason why I don't think it is wise to just count on him. At this point it is not a question of whether he injures it again but whether he can manage the pain and limitations in movement when he does. And I quite frankly don't think we will want to risk a 2nd contract on him if he were to blow up so his days in Chicago are numbered from my perspective unless he settles into a nice No 3 role. I don't think he is the future 2 or 1 IMO.

Yeah, because of injuries, I don't believe Miller is long for the NFL.

msadows

Liked Posts:
So you're going by what the media thinks? Most of the media had Trubisky as the best QB in his class to.

A lot of the media are connected to NFL GM's and scouts. Shit, some of them WERE nfl gm's and scouts.

I'd trust what they say more than anyone on this forum.

As I stated, that draft was weird as fuck for WR's. Mecole Hardman was supposed to go in like the 6th round and went in the 2nd because the Chiefs needed a Hill replacement. D.K Metcalf fucking exploded at the combine and went at the last pick of the 2nd round.

I still stand by the fact that Ridley was drafted for a reason, and its not to be the #5 WR. I'll be shocked if we take a WR in the 2nd round this year.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
A lot of the media are connected to NFL GM's and scouts. Shit, some of them WERE nfl gm's and scouts.

As I stated, that draft was weird as fuck for WR's. Mecole Hardman was supposed to go in like the 6th round and went in the 2nd because the Chiefs needed a Hill replacement. D.K Metcalf fucking exploded at the combine and went at the last pick of the 2nd round.

I still stand by the fact that Ridley was drafted for a reason, and its not to be the #5 WR. I'll be shocked if we take a WR in the 2nd round this year.

I think Ridley will end up being a solid WR, if given the chance. I watch all UGA games, and his stats were low because of the run-heavy offense UGA runs. Dude is pretty legit, if not elite. OL needs to be at least one of the 2nd round picks.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I see a lot of worry about Miller, but I don't share that same worry. One of the signs I like to look at for projecting a player in the next season is how they performed down the stretch. Miller played at a 90 catch, 1200 yard pace for 5 weeks from the Rams to Packers games. It was a very similar stretch that Robinson had in 2018, minus the huge playoff game. For a wide receiver, I worry a lot more about a leg injury than a shoulder injury.

That being said, the Bears clearly need speed on offense. Denzel Mims is one of my draft crutches and combines a huge catch radius, body control and big time speed. I expect him gone by 43, but he's a run to the podium guy for me. But if the Bears want to hedge their bets against getting a big time speed guy, I wouldn't hate signing Demarcus Robinson, if they put a premium on knowing the offense with likely limited offseason work.

The Bears need a #2 in this offense, as Miller is the slot. Ridley is a good 4th guy who learned all the positions last year. Patterson is the wildcard. And honestly, if the Bears are able to pull off getting a true #2 WR, I'd make Wims available for a late round pick. I like him as a WR, but he's kinda redundant to what Robinson does, though obviously not nearly as good.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Yeah, because of injuries, I don't believe Miller is long for the NFL.

It really sucks that i think this could be true. He played so damn good in a lot of games toward the end of the year and was showing why Pace traded up to draft him.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

I would bet my left nut that no GM or scout is telling any media member what they think about players in the draft before the draft takes place cause that would be pretty stupid. The media would be the absolute last people to tell what they think of any player before they draft them.

Trusting what the media says over anyone on this forum is just common sense.

Nobody is saying Ridley wasn't drafted for a reason. You don't draft any player anywhere in the draft for no reason and damn sure not the 4th round where starters are found all the time. I also don't think anyone is saying they think he's a bust and more saying we just haven't seen anything from him ion the NFL yet to know what he'll be. Don't know why he couldn't get on the field last year more cause the opportunity was there with Gabriel missing so much time.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I see a lot of worry about Miller, but I don't share that same worry. One of the signs I like to look at for projecting a player in the next season is how they performed down the stretch. Miller played at a 90 catch, 1200 yard pace for 5 weeks from the Rams to Packers games. It was a very similar stretch that Robinson had in 2018, minus the huge playoff game. For a wide receiver, I worry a lot more about a leg injury than a shoulder injury.

That being said, the Bears clearly need speed on offense. Denzel Mims is one of my draft crutches and combines a huge catch radius, body control and big time speed. I expect him gone by 43, but he's a run to the podium guy for me. But if the Bears want to hedge their bets against getting a big time speed guy, I wouldn't hate signing Demarcus Robinson, if they put a premium on knowing the offense with likely limited offseason work.

The Bears need a #2 in this offense, as Miller is the slot. Ridley is a good 4th guy who learned all the positions last year. Patterson is the wildcard. And honestly, if the Bears are able to pull off getting a true #2 WR, I'd make Wims available for a late round pick. I like him as a WR, but he's kinda redundant to what Robinson does, though obviously not nearly as good.

The only worry i've seen anyone on here say about Miller was that damn shoulder injury but haven't seen anyone saying they don't think he can play in the NFL. Now i don't get into every thread so i could of missed people not believing in him but from what i've seen it's just worry for the injury/Shoulder.

I'm sooooo in on Mims.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

I would trust how NFL teams drafted before I trust media experts. Hardman and Ridley played at same school. Had similar numbers. Hardman is more athletic. The same team that figured out Mahomes was best QB also drafted Hardman. The same team that thought Trubs was better than Watson and Mahomes ended up drafting Ridley.

My conclusion from all of this is that the Chiefs are simply better at finding offensive talent and that Ridely was overhyped. There is nothing he does exceptionally well which is why he fell. He may develop but he is not that great a prospect. His production was mediocre and he has no great physical traits. Hardman's production was mediocre but he runs a sub-4.4.

Generally if you have mediocre stats and mediocre measurables you aren't getting drafted high. Hardman is a bit of a one trick pony but it is a hell of a trick.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I would trust how NFL teams drafted before I trust media experts. Hardman and Ridley played at same school. Had similar numbers. Hardman is more athletic. The same team that figured out Mahomes was best QB also drafted Hardman. The same team that thought Trubs was better than Watson and Mahomes ended up drafting Ridley.

My conclusion from all of this is that the Chiefs are simply better at finding offensive talent and that Ridely was overhyped. There is nothing he does exceptionally well which is why he fell. He may develop but he is not that great a prospect. His production was mediocre and he has no great physical traits. Hardman's production was mediocre but he runs a sub-4.4.

Generally if you have mediocre stats and mediocre measurables you aren't getting drafted high. Hardman is a bit of a one trick pony but it is a hell of a trick.

If this is right then our WR unit is ARob, A.Miller, J.Wims and a C.Patterson who can't play receiver full time...............yeah i think we definitely need a WR in this draft and maybe even two by getting one early and another late and then grab a couple in UDFA.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Every day that passes the price tag for both Anderson and Perriman fall a bit. Currently those guys are unemployed. Don't you think a one year, $6M deal with a $3M signing bonus (which they get immediately) wouldn't help out especially without knowing how the 2020 season might be impacted by COVID-19?

Let's not forget the rookie draft. The longer things go the less teams will be looking at the current pool of FAs and the more they will focus on the draft picks.

IMHO with the Bears in win now mode they need a vet. Can't rely on a rookie to make contributions especially if they are a lower pick (not a first rounder) and if they are a WR.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
There are going to be WRs with 1st round talent that end up in the 2nd round because of how deep the class is.

If we had the cap I would say go for it but not sure I would spend any more than 3 million on a WR right now.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Lets just sign Antonio Brown and hope he's on his best behavior after getting shunned by the NFL for a year.

msadows

Liked Posts:
There are going to be WRs with 1st round talent that end up in the 2nd round because of how deep the class is.

If we had the cap I would say go for it but not sure I would spend any more than 3 million on a WR right now.

Yes, and they won't get the 3 seconds required to go deep because our oline can't block....because we drafted a WR in the fucking 2nd round again.

msadows

Liked Posts:
its just how like he got on me for saying we can wait and draft a WR in the 5th round, but now he’s advocating for doing exactly that.

Because I expected us to sign a starting upgrade RG in FA, and possibly a swing RT.

So far we have done nothing to address the worst part of our team.

CB#2, and Safety are still bigger needs than WR#2. I'm fine with overlooking those to get a #2 WR, even though history has proven that the rookie impact of a db is much higher than a WR.

I didn't mind Reagor or Mims a week ago, now the idea of it seems dumb as fuck considering how bad our oline is and how much talent is available at oline in this draft.

msadows

Liked Posts:

Yes, I've been using them to prove how DUMB they are. Literally the guy who was the most explosive in the league(Mike Williams) ran a very mediocre 40.

40 time's are just an indication of how fast you can run in a straight line in shorts.

For a WR/CB usually 3 cone is more important

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Because I expected us to sign a starting upgrade RG in FA, and possibly a swing RT.

So far we have done nothing to address the worst part of our team.

CB#2, and Safety are still bigger needs than WR#2. I'm fine with overlooking those to get a #2 WR, even though history has proven that the rookie impact of a db is much higher than a WR.

I didn't mind Reagor or Mims a week ago, now the idea of it seems dumb as fuck considering how bad our oline is and how much talent is available at oline in this draft.

that’s a fair reasoning. I’m to the point where I’d be fine with both 2 round picks being O linemen now. If they don’t field a league avg o line, they are fucked again on offense. And thus, will be another bears team wasting what should be an elite defense

msadows

Liked Posts:
that’s a fair reasoning. I’m to the point where I’d be fine with both 2 round picks being O linemen now. If they don’t field a league avg o line, they are fucked again on offense. And thus, will be another bears team wasting what should be an elite defense

If they got a starting RG(Or if they still do), and I mean starting, not a fucking shit scrub who they think can "improve" for this team, I'd be fine with a WR in the 2nd round. I don't think its a "Need" but it wouldn't be any less of a need than CB/FS.

Like you said, trench play is the most important part of football. Won't matter what WR we draft if we cant block long enough for those deep routes to develop.