Squib kick at the end of the game

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
Does the clock start immediately on squibs? I've never noticed.

Anyway, it was the right call regardless; our coverage team wasn't having a good game and I'd take the Ponder risk over Patterson any day.

no it starts as soon as someone touches the ball... which means a TE or someone meant to block on the return team has to touch the ball or risk the kicking team recovering it before the return man can run up and grab it...

The clock starts unless it goes into the end zone.... you can fair catch and run 1 second off though... or kneel...

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
no it starts as soon as someone touches the ball... which means a TE or someone meant to block on the return team has to touch the ball or risk the kicking team recovering it before the return man can run up and grab it...

The clock starts unless it goes into the end zone.... you can fair catch and run 1 second off though... or kneel...

Ok, I didn't think it did.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
on a Squib someone who isn't a return man has to pick up the ball...

The clock starts running on the kickoff without the return man touching the ball...

Great call by the coach if you ask me..
That's incorrect, the clock only starts once the ball is touched legally. That said, the difference is Gould's squib in ATL was weak and at an up man. Yesterday he squibbed it hard to the opposing 30. Even if he gathers it quickly and kneels there is only going to be 8 seconds to get a 30 yrd pass and the clock stopped. Proper call executed correctly.

Newblood

Liked Posts:
I think the only illegal touching on a kickoff is if the kicking team touches the ball prior to it going 10 yards. Other than that, I think it's a free for all.

Alpha

CBMB Legend
Donator
Liked Posts:
The squib kick took off 7 seconds off the clock, if the guy didn't fumble they would have only 3 seconds enough for one play for Ponder to fail on a hail mary pass.

Doubledown

Liked Posts:
Bostic needs to play better on ST.

didn't like the Squib.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Ten seconds left in the game. Up by one. Minnesota has all 3 timeouts left. And we squib kick it?

Anyone else not like this decision? I see teams do it all the time and it makes no sense. All they need to do is get within FG range and by squibbing it we not only give them field position, but it takes no time off the clock. I'd much rather see Gould just blast it out the back of the endzone and give them the ball at the 20.

Easy to overlook since it worked out in the end, but if the Vikings were smart and just went down as soon as they got the ball, they would have had it around the 40 yard line with about 8 seconds, 3 timeouts, and 20 yards to go for a long FG attempt which loses us the game.

What do you think?
Trestman decided to squib kick, and he and his staff know better than me. So whatever.

Still, I know the rules and risks, I would have had Gould blast it out the back of the endzone, and have them start at the 20. Sure, things can go wrong in either case -- Gould could be short and Patterson would have had a chance at a return. But his return would have chewed up time too. Going by this game, the squib kick with 10 sec, 3 timeouts and 20 yds to go for winning FG, seems like a bigger risk to me.

willynowei

Liked Posts:
When it rains, the ball becomes heavy, this does two things, makes the trajectory of the kick flatter and it reduces the distance of which you can kick it. This is the primary reason that both special teams units were making big plays on returns. In this game due to the conditions and the effectiveness of the vikings return unit against us it was the right call.

Even if the weather were good, however, with less than 10 seconds to go in the game, a squib kick is an excellent choice because the amount of time left if they were to down it near their own forty would be about the same as the average nfl play (6-8 seconds). When a player is tackled in the middle of the field, it takes an extra second or two for the referee to blow the whistle and the timeout to be called, this means that when you throw a strike down the middle to setup a field goal, you would lose the game.

The Bears lost to the Falcons deep play to Roddy White years ago because the Bears called a Soft Cover-2 zone, when all they had to do was play Man-2 and have their safeties camping the sidelines, since any throw down the middle of the field would have to be a touchdown or the clock would run out. Instead, the Bears played Cover-2 zone, and had 3 to 4 guys in the middle of the field that were of no consequence on the play. In addition to this, the Bears also rushed the passer with 4 guys, usually this would be a great choice, and pressure is a good element in almost every NFL play. However, when the other teams only chance to score is to heave the ball into the endzone or get a quick pass down the sidelines, the use of 4 rushers instead of 3 or even 2 rushers seems excessive. They simply didn't play prevent defense with an emphasis of guarding the sidelines.

Thus, It was actually a bad defensive play call, not a poor special teams play call that gave the Falcons a chance to win.

Frigidus

Liked Posts:
The squib kick was never the problem with Atlanta,the real issue was the play after when we didn't cover the primary spot that we should have been watching out for: the sideline fifteen-twenty yards off the line of scrimmage. I don't know what was up with our defense at the time, but we were abused at that same spot constantly.

wklink

CBMB refugee
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Seattle Sounders FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Exaxtly. Also remember that in Atlanta, the Falcons didn't have to deal with weather conditions or a less than stellar playing field. We don't play primarily cover 2 now like we did back in 2010.

Considering the weather, the field conditions and the fact that Minnesota had already run a ball back for a TD on us it was the right play. Make a team beat you in that instance, don't give the returner a chance to run something back to the 30 so that the team can kick a field goal with 1 second left. Smart play.