Squib kick at the end of the game

Madden

Liked Posts:
Ten seconds left in the game. Up by one. Minnesota has all 3 timeouts left. And we squib kick it?

Anyone else not like this decision? I see teams do it all the time and it makes no sense. All they need to do is get within FG range and by squibbing it we not only give them field position, but it takes no time off the clock. I'd much rather see Gould just blast it out the back of the endzone and give them the ball at the 20.

Easy to overlook since it worked out in the end, but if the Vikings were smart and just went down as soon as they got the ball, they would have had it around the 40 yard line with about 8 seconds, 3 timeouts, and 20 yards to go for a long FG attempt which loses us the game.

What do you think?

GoBears

Liked Posts:
If my kicker can guarantee a blast out of the end zone, fine. But Gould hadn't kicked one KO that far the whole game (probably weather related).

Given that we had already allowed a return for a touchdown, I can understand the squib. I wasn't thrilled with it because of the Atlanta falcons game of years past but I did understand it.

BEER

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Thats all I was thinking about was that Falcon game and I hated the call. Kick the fucking ball deep and trust your special teams unit. Great win though and I am glad it worked out

Svic

Liked Posts:
Yeah because there returner sucks and has never returned a td against us. And because Gould was just blasting them out of the back of the end zone all day. He was just messing all day and was daring the guy to return it all day.

By the way you do realize that the guy can fair catch it in the end zone. Giving them 10 seconds to get a deep play in and then call a timeout and kick a fg with a guy who actually had a very strong leg.

If you squib kick it the clock start right when the ball hits the ground. Used to take time off. Ill take the ball at the 35 with 7 or 6 seconds left then the ball at the 20 with 10 seconds left. You do realize that even if the Vikings player didn't fumble he still wasted 5 seconds of the clock. 0 time to run a play and kick a fg.

engbear

Liked Posts:
Dont remind me of that game in Atlanta, that was hard to take.

Didn't like squib either but risk of Patterson too great. However they didn't account for BC !

Madden

Liked Posts:
Which has more risk? Christian Ponder trying to get 20+ yards or Patterson taking another kickoff 100+ yards?

That's why Robbie should have just blasted it out of the endzone for a touchback. Eliminate Patterson entirely, and Ponder has to go 40 yards instead of 20.

Edit: Forgot about the rain which would have made it harder for a touchback. I still would have liked it kicked deeper. Hell, if you're gonna squib it, just squib it deep and hard. None of this weak give them the ball at the 40 yard line taking no time off the clock stuff.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
No, and I still stand that its the right call vs Atlanta.

Especially when the returner has burned your coverage unit already once.

Btw, last time the Vikings won at Solider Field, what happened? They put AP on as the kick returner, the Bears kicked it too him and he ran them into range to set up a winning field goal.

Fucking A on Tapatalk

Globetrotter

Liked Posts:
Thats all I was thinking about was that Falcon game and I hated the call. Kick the fucking ball deep and trust your special teams unit. Great win though and I am glad it worked out

This game was in Chicago and they don't have a youngish Roddy White.

BearDown33

Liked Posts:
Squib kick was the right call. You take your chances with Ponder, not with their return man who took one to the house earlier in the game

Svic

Liked Posts:
That's why Robbie should have just blasted it out of the endzone for a touchback. Eliminate Patterson entirely, and Ponder has to go 40 yards instead of 20.

Edit: Forgot about the rain which would have made it harder for a touchback. I still would have liked it kicked deeper. Hell, if you're gonna squib it, just squib it deep and hard. None of this weak give them the ball at the 40 yard line taking no time off the clock stuff.

He did take time of the clock. At least 2-3 seconds. Even if the guy would have kneeled down they would have only 7 seconds left... That is a lot of time.
plus it takes ponder at least 4 second to throw the ball he is not matt Ryan or Payton manning. 4 seconds plus a catch and run would have wasted the 7 seconds.

Bones40

Liked Posts:
Squib was absolutely the right call, no question. Virtually negate a big return and take time off the clock. Those two things are what gave us the best chance to win.

Madden

Liked Posts:
NEVER FORGET. Same exact situation as yesterday. Looks like they edited the Bears squib out for some reason though. This might be the most pissed off I ever was after a Bears loss.

[video=youtube;MmJRVcFrDmE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmJRVcFrDmE[/video]

BEER

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Didn't think of it that way. I forgot that only a young Roddy White in Atanta can catch a 20 yard pass. Thanks for setting things straight. I was just caught up in the moment.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:

It was Malcolm Jenkins who made the catch... And they do have him. Or did last year, I assume he's still in the Vikings.

Fucking A on Tapatalk

Bones40

Liked Posts:
NEVER FORGET. Same exact situation as yesterday. Looks like they edited the Bears squib out for some reason though. This might be the most pissed off I ever was after a Bears loss.

[video=youtube;MmJRVcFrDmE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmJRVcFrDmE[/video]

That wasn't the fault of the squib. It was horrible play by the defense.

Newblood

Liked Posts:
Yeah because there returner sucks and has never returned a td against us. And because Gould was just blasting them out of the back of the end zone all day. He was just messing all day and was daring the guy to return it all day.

By the way you do realize that the guy can fair catch it in the end zone. Giving them 10 seconds to get a deep play in and then call a timeout and kick a fg with a guy who actually had a very strong leg.

If you squib kick it the clock start right when the ball hits the ground. Used to take time off. Ill take the ball at the 35 with 7 or 6 seconds left then the ball at the 20 with 10 seconds left. You do realize that even if the Vikings player didn't fumble he still wasted 5 seconds of the clock. 0 time to run a play and kick a fg.

I believe the clock starts when the receiving team touches the ball. Other than that, I agree.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
on a Squib someone who isn't a return man has to pick up the ball...

The clock starts running on the kickoff without the return man touching the ball...

Great call by the coach if you ask me..

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
on a Squib someone who isn't a return man has to pick up the ball...

The clock starts running on the kickoff without the return man touching the ball...

Great call by the coach if you ask me..

Does the clock start immediately on squibs? I've never noticed.

Anyway, it was the right call regardless; our coverage team wasn't having a good game and I'd take the Ponder risk over Patterson any day.

Newblood

Liked Posts:
http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/timingfinal

Timing in Final Two Minutes of Each Half

On kickoff, clock does not start until the ball has been legally touched by player of either team in the field of play. (In all other cases, clock starts with kickoff.)
A team cannot buy an excess time out for a penalty. However, a fourth time out is allowed without penalty for an injured player, who must be removed immediately. A fifth time out or more is allowed for an injury and a five-yard penalty is assessed if the clock was running. Additionally, if the clock was running and the score is tied or the team in possession is losing, the ball cannot be put in play for at least 10 seconds on the fourth or more time out. The half or game can end while those 10 seconds are run off on the clock.
If the defensive team is behind in the score and commits a foul when it has no time outs left in the final 40 seconds of either half, the offensive team can decline the penalty for the foul and have the time on the clock expire.
Fouls that occur in the last five minutes of the fourth quarter as well as the last two minutes of the first half will result in the clock starting on the snap.