Starlin Castro has funds seized

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Starlin Castro has filed a countersuit, according to a source, after reportedly having $3.6 million seized from his bank accounts after the Chicago Cubs shortstop refused to pay three percent of his earnings to a Dominican Republic baseball school.

According to multiple media reports, Castro's father, Diogenis Castro, signed an agreement with Mi Futuro Biliguer (My Future Big Leaguer) and coach Manuel Nunez when Castro was 15, requiring him to pay a percentage of his career earnings if he made the major leagues.
The source told Jesse Rogers of ESPNChicago.com that the countersuit filed by Castro's attorney discredits that contract and that a father cannot sign away a son's future earnings.

Castro paid Nunez an unspecified amount after signing his first big-league contract, but Nunez believes he is owed future earnings ,and funds were seized from several banks, according to reports.

A two-time All-Star, Castro, 23, signed a seven-year, $60 million contract with the Cubs in 2012.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/stor...tersuit-36-million-reportedly-seized-accounts

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Is that not like 60% of the money he has made in his MLB career so far?

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Is that not like 60% of the money he has made in his MLB career so far?

:Shrug: Late fees? or Maybe the contract says payment up front on contracts?

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
:Shrug: Late fees? or Maybe the contract says payment up front on contracts?

If it did, I don't know how they'd expect him to even be able to pay it right away.

PlatinumPlus502

Liked Posts:
Ridiculous. His father has no ability to be able to sign his sons future earnings away like that. He will end up with that money back i'm sure, but still a crap situation.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Oh, I hear ya. Though let's face it. You are 15 years old. Someone says if you make it to the bigs (massive question mark) you pay us 3 percent of all earnings in exchange to play at our school for a shot at your family having a better life (Making a gross assumption that Castro comes from a poor family). Don't you as the Dad say, it's a done deal?

Cubs2008

Liked Posts:
3% of 60 Million is 1.8 million. Why did they take twice that?

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Central Notes: Castro, Indians, Twins, Hart
By Aaron Steen [December 21 at 8:16pm CST]
Starlin Castro claims that stress related to an ongoing legal dispute in the Dominican Republic has affected his on-field performance for the Cubs, Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune reports. A coach at a baseball school in the Dominican is suing Castro, contending that a contract the shortstop's father signed when Castro was an amateur entitles the academy to a portion of his Major League earnings. The affair has had a "direct impact on his duties as a professional ballplayer, leading to one of his worst-ever statistical performances," Castro's countersuit states. While the 23-year-old played in 161 games last season, 2013 saw him slump to a .245/.284/.347 line. The 2014 season will be the second of the seven-year, $60MM deal Castro signed inked with the Cubs in 2012. Here's more from around baseball's Central divisions:

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
He's lost it

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

Liked Posts:
What if this baseball academy is a big part of why he progressed to the majors? Also, it seems likely, this arrangement came about because the Castros couldn't pay out of pocket for him to attend this academy. These academies probably take on a lot of cases like Castro. These academies should be able to expect their agreements to be honored. Castro should have to pay. At the time, Castros father was his guardian and committed to this, as such, with the idea in mind, it would help him make a good living in the majors. Since the decision paid off, you can hardly accuse his father as being negligent as his guardian. Castro has benefitted from attending the academy, so he should pay. If players are allowed to reneg because their parents agreed to this (because they were too young), then these academies would either cease to exist or stop taking people who can't pay out of pocket. They will have incurred great costs allowing in people who couldn't pay for no reason.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
what castro attorney is arguing is that the academy got their 3% when Castro signed his first contract with Cubs and that his dad had no rights to agree to anything else extra after Castro turned 18.. the Academy is claiming their owed 1.8 Mil from the extension he signed, the court froze 3.6 Mil...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I437 using Tapatalk

CSF77

Liked Posts:
What if this baseball academy is a big part of why he progressed to the majors? Also, it seems likely, this arrangement came about because the Castros couldn't pay out of pocket for him to attend this academy. These academies probably take on a lot of cases like Castro. These academies should be able to expect their agreements to be honored. Castro should have to pay. At the time, Castros father was his guardian and committed to this, as such, with the idea in mind, it would help him make a good living in the majors. Since the decision paid off, you can hardly accuse his father as being negligent as his guardian. Castro has benefitted from attending the academy, so he should pay. If players are allowed to reneg because their parents agreed to this (because they were too young), then these academies would either cease to exist or stop taking people who can't pay out of pocket. They will have incurred great costs allowing in people who couldn't pay for no reason.

Well if you think about it if Castro loses and he gets a 150 mil deal next time he would have to front 4.5 mil to this clown.

It is pretty shitty if you ask me. The fact he is scamming 1.8 mil is bad enough.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
his poor play? sounds like an excuse. he made a deal. pay up..simple.

Sent from my Rotary Phone using Tapatalk

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I don't know of any 15 year old who is mature enough to "make a deal", which is why the US legal system doesn't allow minors to enter into contracts. It will be interesting to see what the DR court decision is though. I'd be pissed if I was Starlin.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I don't know of any 15 year old who is mature enough to "make a deal", which is why the US legal system doesn't allow minors to enter into contracts. It will be interesting to see what the DR court decision is though. I'd be pissed if I was Starlin.

Its the old saying. How much is enough? Just a little bit more. Without the academy Castro would be still in the DR and more than likely not playing ball at all. Given the alternative id be thankful for the deal Dad signed

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

Liked Posts:
Well if you think about it if Castro loses and he gets a 150 mil deal next time he would have to front 4.5 mil to this clown.

It is pretty shitty if you ask me. The fact he is scamming 1.8 mil is bad enough.

How so? Again, he may have developed and acquired skills at the academy, which largely impacted his earning potential. If this laymen arrangement came about because Castro couldn't pay before or as he was attending the academy, he should be required to honor his agreement. He shouldn't be allowed to short pay his obligation, especially since he continues to benefit from having attended the academy. Fair is fair.