I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Dow dropped 1,000 points earlier today. Anyone throwing more $$ at things for the 3% discount?

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Do you think it drops further?

I’m not going to pretend to know one way or another. I tend to listen to Buffett, though...love when stocks go down if you’re a long term investor...it’s a chance to buy more at a lower cost. Obviously, if you load up on a dip and it continues to drop...it can hurt in the short term...but in 20 years, if you’ve invested in well run companies...you’ll be up

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If you got the extra capital for long term investment, absolutely buy on the dip.

Assume you will need to hold it 12 or more months though.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
If you got the extra capital for long term investment, absolutely buy on the dip.

I took out a small position on the dip. Certainly with the intent of buying and holding much longer than 12 months

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Just talked to my Money Manger 2 weeks ago and his firm sees no fundamentals in the next year that will cause a recession or tank the market. They are projecting +10% growth at the minimum, with an upside of high teens for 2020. A Trump re-election will rocket the market.

The only issue is this virus. Fact is the flu kills more people and they expect an anti-virus in a few months. The smart people will use this as an opportunity to buy more

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
I am buying the dip...

It may not be tomorrow though. Futures are still down for many stocks.

But man on man, grab some Visa, Microsoft, Apple, Dis on a discount. I'm waking up early tomorrow to see what the best looks are.

fenderpfunk

Liked Posts:
Just talked to my Money Manger 2 weeks ago and his firm sees no fundamentals in the next year that will cause a recession or tank the market. They are projecting +10% growth at the minimum, with an upside of high teens for 2020. A Trump re-election will rocket the market.

The only issue is this virus. Fact is the flu kills more people and they expect an anti-virus in a few months. The smart people will use this as an opportunity to buy more

The flu kills more people because this virus hasn't yet been exposed to nearly as many people. The virus can very well mutate in either direction good or bad. The stock market kept the blinders on towards this for a while but this virus is looking like it can wreak major havoc on supply chain lines well into this year. Not saying it's not smart to buy now but expect a major impact made by this virus.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins

Disagree here respectfully.

If one didnt already have a Microsoft position and bought tomorrow at 5 percent discount and it continues on a tear for a few weeks, 5000.00 bucks could become 6500.00 in 30 days.

But yes, long term holders should buy tomorrow even if its a averaging down in a position.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Two industries that have been beaten up the most due to the virus are gambling stocks and cruise liners. Royal Caribbean down 25% since the virus broke out. The only question becomes, how much more pain will they take?

Reactions: DC

fenderpfunk

Liked Posts:
This virus and its impact on upon the US may provide the largest dent in trump's re election armour.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Disagree here respectfully.

If one didnt already have a Microsoft position and bought tomorrow at 5 percent discount and it continues on a tear for a few weeks, 5000.00 bucks could become 6500.00 in 30 days.

But yes, long term holders should buy tomorrow even if its a averaging down in a position.

You don't disagree on buying so you are disagreeing on holding.

My point is, don't put in money you can't leave in the market for 12+ months.

If you buy and the market begins to slide, you're stuck with that position for a while or you sell at a loss.

Assume the worst.... don't dump money in a down market and just assume you can unload it in the next 2-3 months at a profit.

Idiotic at best to assume you'll get profits out quickly.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Buy undervalued stocks regardless of dow position. Some shitty companies hide their mismanagement in big sell offs. If you navigate that mess, even for just the sectors you know well, then yeah, you always try to buy low.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

So three weeks ago you posted this:

Money manager from Vanguard. Another great year with overall, portfilio returns averaging 23.1 on primarily a 60/40 stock to bond/real-estate blend

They are thinking that 2020 will be in the 6-8% range but could shoot up to 20% with a Trump victory (Go Donny!) and controlling the virus. Vanguard sees no indicators of fundamentals that would lead to a recession, so smooth sailing, baby!

Does your Vanguard broker by chance work at an Audi Dealership?

Last edited:

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
You don't disagree on buying so you are disagreeing on holding.

My point is, don't put in money you can't leave in the market for 12+ months.

If you buy and the market begins to slide, you're stuck with that position for a while or you sell at a loss.

Assume the worst.... don't dump money in a down market and just assume you can unload it in the next 2-3 months at a profit.

Idiotic at best to assume you'll get profits out quickly.

I disagree that someone putting their money in for the first time TOMORROW has to keep it in for a minimum of 12 months.

Do I suggest Day and Swing Trading for a novice? No.

My point is that there is serious money to be made possibly tomorrow. Even short term horizon as in by this Friday, one could have 5% gain if this was a correction.

I see your points though and I am long in many positions. But I also swing and day trade too.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I disagree that someone putting their money in for the first time TOMORROW has to keep it in for a minimum of 12 months.

My point is that there is serious money to be made possibly tomorrow. Even short term horizon as in by this Friday, one could have 5% gain if this was a correction.

I see your points though and I am long in many positions. But I also swing and day trade too.

fenderpfunk

Liked Posts:
Cause the idea of Bernie means a 35% haircut no matter virus

No because it would be an extremely bad time to run for re election in the middle of a full blown pandemic after you had cut funding to the pandemic response team. I hope for everyone involved this doesn't happen but the outlook on the virus isn't exactly encouraging.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Cept I didn't qualify my statement around TOMORROW nor did I say they need to keep it in a minimum of 12 months.

I said they should assume they may need to leave their money in for 12+ months in anticipation of a worst case scenario where they buy in and the market continues to drop.

Bottom line, don't put money in unless you can live with the worst case downsides, one of which would be sitting on a position for 12+ months until the market surges back to a profit point.

Not sure why you keep reading nonsense I didn't say.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I bought a small stock today just before the close. If it becomes apparent over the next few weeks that Sanders will be the Democratic candidate I would become much more concerned. Not because he would win, but MSNBC and CNN would start displaying polls showing that Sanders is way ahead in the polls. This might in itself cause a massive decline.