Straight baseball talk

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
I do miss the MLB board for this, but can we have a straight baseball talk thread without the bullshit?

I personally don't care about owners/FO's agendas or anything, just show me the talent and the players. Let's talk about game theory or pitch sequencing. Anything that happens on the field.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I'm curious as to how the apparent death of steroids changes the game. If we go back to the 80's speed was way more prevalent and power hitters weren't nearly as common. If we go back to 85 for example 13 players had 30 or more homers and only 5 had more than 35. These numbers are similar to what occurred last year. It could be quite interesting if things start to regress offensively to the levels of the 80's. We might see no hit middle infielders again and a much higher focus on speed.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I do miss the MLB board for this, but can we have a straight baseball talk thread without the bullshit?

I personally don't care about owners/FO's agendas or anything, just show me the talent and the players. Let's talk about game theory or pitch sequencing. Anything that happens on the field.

This is pretty much me and you right now.....

Mario.jpg

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

8-bit pics aside, would love to jaw w/ you about your feelings with Renteria platooning the outfield/2B/3B. Do you feel this is more a "ploy" to boost certain guys' appeal as the trade deadline approaches as an extension of a FO wish, or do you genuinely think Renteria is trying to feel things out and play "the law of averages" with splits?

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Baez is 1 for 1 with a three run homer tonight and two walks. Fuck you saber guys!

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
8-bit pics aside, would love to jaw w/ you about your feelings with Renteria platooning the outfield/2B/3B. Do you feel this is more a "ploy" to boost certain guys' appeal as the trade deadline approaches as an extension of a FO wish, or do you genuinely think Renteria is trying to feel things out and play "the law of averages" with splits?

I think he was legitimately trying to win games early. That and Junior Lake has some obvious deficiencies we all need to come to terms with. The important guys have played all year, Castro/Rizzo. On the scouting side both guys are hitting the ball much, much better and even Castro is commanding the strike zone in a weird way.

His zone command won't manifest itself in walks, but K% and that's down to 13% this year. That is a very, very good sign.

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
I'm curious as to how the apparent death of steroids changes the game. If we go back to the 80's speed was way more prevalent and power hitters weren't nearly as common. If we go back to 85 for example 13 players had 30 or more homers and only 5 had more than 35. These numbers are similar to what occurred last year. It could be quite interesting if things start to regress offensively to the levels of the 80's. We might see no hit middle infielders again and a much higher focus on speed.

Don't think we'll ever go back to 80's ball. Catcher's are too good and pitchers throw too hard. I think the side effect comes with pitcher attrition and reliever usage. If arms are going down bullpens are getting taxed. Could be an interesting domino effect.

theberserkfury

Liked Posts:
Speaking of Lake, people always talk about how toolsy and whatever he is... obviously there's a high chance he'll never put it all together, but why is he not mentioned as someone people would like to see traded? Junior doesn't seem to be considered by many to be a real piece here but I feel like he could still have more value than Barney, who's constantly talked about being dumped off...

MRubio52

Liked Posts:
Speaking of Lake, people always talk about how toolsy and whatever he is... obviously there's a high chance he'll never put it all together, but why is he not mentioned as someone people would like to see traded? Junior doesn't seem to be considered by many to be a real piece here but I feel like he could still have more value than Barney, who's constantly talked about being dumped off...

Good question, I think the main mitigating factor will obviously be the return. What would you give off the Cubs MiLB system to acquire Lake if the Cubs MLB team were contending?

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lake has to play to get trade value but Lake would have more value as a super sub but the Cubs took him out of the IF completely.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I don't think you can really even entertain trading away a MLB OF at this point because they're missing a few of those already. I'd honestly be looking to bring in someone. Maybe someone like De Aza from the sox would be an interesting buy low candidate.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I don't think you can really even entertain trading away a MLB OF at this point because they're missing a few of those already. I'd honestly be looking to bring in someone. Maybe someone like De Aza from the sox would be an interesting buy low candidate.

Looks to me like their buying time for almora and soler....

We may be seeing guys like Lake, Sweeney, Kalish types being used in OF for the next 2 yrs until they know if soler and almora are going to take over

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T217A using Tapatalk

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Looks to me like their buying time for almora and soler....

We may be seeing guys like Lake, Sweeney, Kalish types being used in OF for the next 2 yrs until they know if soler and almora are going to take over

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T217A using Tapatalk

Best case you're still talking probably 1.5-2.5 years before they are up. I don't think you can wait that long with the way the current OF is playing. Someone like De Aza is under arbitration for 2 years IIRC which gives you someone who can provide some stability until they come up and someone who if they struggle can be kept. I get not wanting to part with guys when you're a crummy team and that player will make them marginally better. However, De Aza has been decent in the past and is still young enough to cover the frame when you will start seeing prospects.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Best case you're still talking probably 1.5-2.5 years before they are up. I don't think you can wait that long with the way the current OF is playing. Someone like De Aza is under arbitration for 2 years IIRC which gives you someone who can provide some stability until they come up and someone who if they struggle can be kept. I get not wanting to part with guys when you're a crummy team and that player will make them marginally better. However, De Aza has been decent in the past and is still young enough to cover the frame when you will start seeing prospects.

wheather they attempt to get De Aza or whomever, its just not going to be a long term guy..
They used dejesus for 2 yrs , Schierholtz, now they got a good start with Bonifacio. . They signed Sweeney for 2 yrs.. just saying if they get anyone its just a 2 yr deal til they know what soler and almora brings to the table

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I would go so far as to say it's possible we're going back to the 70's. There could be talk of DH in NL. Fans want offense, not pitchers duels. They could make some changes to the strike zone to favor the batter more, as the pitchers are throwing harder and there are more of them.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I get it. but why ignore all the other variables that make up a team and whether they win or lose? there is much more to this franchise good and bad besides shark and castro. just sayin....

Sent from my Rotary Phone using Tapatalk

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:

I'm loving this kid from the Astros. George Springer had a great first game and has struggled some since. But he's got all the tools and I could see him being a tremendous player.

I'm also following quite a few of the younger pitchers. Guys like Gerritt Cole, Jose Fernandez, Yordano Ventura. I really love watching quality pitching

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:

It wasn't just steroids though. It was personal trainers and nutritionists that IMO had more to do with the game becoming power driven.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
wheather they attempt to get De Aza or whomever, its just not going to be a long term guy..
They used dejesus for 2 yrs , Schierholtz, now they got a good start with Bonifacio. . They signed Sweeney for 2 yrs.. just saying if they get anyone its just a 2 yr deal til they know what soler and almora brings to the table

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk

I think it has to be a whomever as the White Sox are thin in the OF with Garcia gone for the year. So it would have to be an offseason move if De Aza was the target. And a guy that probably hits 25 homers in 2014 I think will cost more than a fringe prospect. The CUbs aren't really a good fit on the trade front for the White Sox.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I would go so far as to say it's possible we're going back to the 70's. There could be talk of DH in NL. Fans want offense, not pitchers duels. They could make some changes to the strike zone to favor the batter more, as the pitchers are throwing harder and there are more of them.

More Advantages? The strike zone is already half the size of the one stated in the rule book.

I know I am probably in the minority, but I say, raise the mound.