Strop is back

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Cubs To Activate Pedro Strop
June 4th, 2019 at 12:35pm CST • By Jeff Todd
The Cubs will welcome back reliever Pedro Strop from the injured list, manager Joe Maddon tells Bruce Levine of 670 The Score (Twitter link). Fellow righty Dillon Maples was optioned down to make room.

Strop’s return from a hamstring injury is an important step for a club that has had its share of relief issues of late. The Chicago pen has blown more saves (seven) in the past month than all but one other team (the Mets, with nine). Adding Strop back to the late-inning mix will not only give Maddon another key arm to work with in high-leverage situations but will help deepen the rest of the unit.

Soon to turn 34, Strop has long been a reliable piece for the Cubs. Since landing in Chicago, he carries a 2.71 ERA with 10.2 K/9 and 3.5 BB/9 over 342 frames of action. He has allowed just 5.7 hits and 0.6 home runs per nine in that span.

It’s tough to say much after a twelve-appearance sample, but Strop was perhaps a tick off to begin the season. His velocity has continued to trend down, albeit at a gentle pace, and he had permitted six earned runs in his 10 2/3 innings. Most of the damage came in two outings to open the year.

The Cubs will be glad to throw Strop back in the mix to see whether he can get back to his usual productivity. Whether or not he’ll retake the closer’s job from Steve Cishek remains to be seen. The club would prefer to have both of those pitchers working in a setup capacity in front of Brandon Morrow, but it’s anyone’s guess whether and when he’ll return.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I was thinking that it would be either Maples or Ryan. I'm pretty sure they made that decision a while ago and used Maples at that point yesterday to save a arm.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Maples is sure getting screwed out of this deal. He is pitching well enough to get a vote of freaking confidence.

That being said, I sure wish that Strop would have learned more of that Jake Yoga when Arrieta was here, keep pulling hammys sure seems like he needs some flexibility instead of just having a statue body

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Maples is sure getting screwed out of this deal. He is pitching well enough to get a vote of freaking confidence.

That being said, I sure wish that Strop would have learned more of that Jake Yoga when Arrieta was here, keep pulling hammys sure seems like he needs some flexibility instead of just having a statue body

I was thinking this bit over.

Maples has a 1.76 WHIP.
Ryan 1.42
Edwards 1.00

That is the pecking order. All 3 have options left.

ERA is a lesser result for a pen arm.

The way you want to look at it is Maples has a 0 ERA but most of the time he would be coming in with someone on base and he is very likely going to let that guy score because he is walk prone. Which causes Joe to burn another arm to get past that walk.

Strop returning pushes Cishek back to the 8th. I see Edwards as option B in the 8th. Cishek option B in the 9th.

Brach has some walk issues going on also but he doesn't have options and for the most part has not been a huge issue this year. Kintzler has been very good over all in middle innings and handing him the ball late inning is not a issue.

Now I really would like them to focus on getting a high leverage lefty. That is something that could be impactful. I would shop Chatwood to see if I could net a return like that. Chatwood holds value in inning absorb for teams Like SDP that will need innings.

Last edited:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Zac Rosscup elected FA. It wouldn't be dumb to kick the tires. IIRC he was better as a loogy.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

What? A vote of confidence for walking 9 in 5 innings of relief? Although, I'm sure he is getting rave reviews from the Cubs opponents.

Hopefully, you're being sarcastic......

CSF77

Liked Posts:
What? A vote of confidence for walking 9 in 5 innings of relief? Although, I'm sure he is getting rave reviews from the Cubs opponents.

Hopefully, you're being sarcastic......

He most likely was basing this off of ERA.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
SO%
Maples led the team at 38.5%
Walk % led the team at 34.6%.

Had a ERA of 0.00 But his Fip was 4.38. Which was 100% based off his walks.

The pen ranked in Fip:
1: Cishek: 3.52
2. Strop: 3.70
3. Ryan: 3.95
4. Brach: 4.13
5. Kintzler: 4.20
6. Maples: 4.38
7. Montgomery: 4.61
8. Chatwood: 4.93
9. Edwards: 5.37

So looking at the list Edwards is on the bubble next as of now. Chatwood and Montgomery IMO are exempt. Kintzler and Brach have kept themselves off the hit list. Ryan has been good enough to not be the next target.

So I see Edwards and Ryan as the next bubble guys. Montgomery and Chatwood IMO should be used as trade bait to get better quality pen arms and sell them as starters. The team clearly needs a high leverage lefty.

Brad Hand might be a name that might come up with the Indians getting beat this year and guys like that tend to be easy sells.