Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Don't you understand that what we need is a long snapper? It wasn't even Parkey's fault....
I’d love to see some in depth analysis of that statement

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Have the Bears had any success with supplemental picks in the past?

Teams rarely if ever make a supplemental pick. In the 40+ years of the supplemental draft's existence, Unga is the only player taken by the Bears.

After the USFL folded, the NFL had a special supplemental draft for the USFL players, because the last thing Rozelle wanted was all those USFL players becoming free agents. This was a talent-laden draft...experienced HOF talent like Reggie White, Steve Young, Gary Zimmerman, etc.

So what did the Bears do? In protest of the USFL, they were the only NFL team to trade away all their picks. It was kind of remarkable that the Bears remained competitive through 1988, considering how short-sighted this decision was.

Mikeropod

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. San Antonio Spurs
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Cleveland Browns
  1. San Jose Sharks
  1. Miami (Ohio) Redhawks
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Oh bless Harvey Unga. I really hoped he'd turn into something.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Teams rarely if ever make a supplemental pick. In the 40+ years of the supplemental draft's existence, Unga is the only player taken by the Bears.

After the USFL folded, the NFL had a special supplemental draft for the USFL players, because the last thing Rozelle wanted was all those USFL players becoming free agents. This was a talent-laden draft...experienced HOF talent like Reggie White, Steve Young, Gary Zimmerman, etc.

So what did the Bears do? In protest of the USFL, they were the only NFL team to trade away all their picks. It was kind of remarkable that the Bears remained competitive through 1988, considering how short-sighted this decision was.

It's almost as if it's a poorly run organization with a history of bad decisions.