Bears Backer 54

Liked Posts:
I think the only guys consistently doing their jobs are:

Skrine
Patterson - he’s a special teams beast
Montgomery
Whitehair
Robinson
O’ Donnell - It’s sad when the punter is one of the standouts.
JP Holtz - he’s a battering ram
I'd add Taylor Gabriel to the list as well. The guy has had some big plays for us and made some crucial catches at times. It's too bad his cap number is likely going to cause him to be cut this off-season because he really has done a pretty good job IMO.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
One more thought, someone on the coaching staff really needs to look at our punt formations as clearly the opposition has found a weakness and we have been exposed now for multiple weeks in a row. I'm not sure whether it is an alignment issue they've found or a personnel issue, but it looks like a simple stunt is leaving blockers coming through untouched and we are likely to see another back breaking block or tipped punt if we don't get this fixed.

On top of that, Pat is way too deliberate getting off his punts. I don’t think the Bears have ever had a punter get more blocked than him.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
I'd add Taylor Gabriel to the list as well. The guy has had some big plays for us and made some crucial catches at times. It's too bad his cap number is likely going to cause him to be cut this off-season because he really has done a pretty good job IMO.

Yes, good call. Thanks...

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Nagy's love affair with Cohen is infuriating.

Imagine how much better the offense would be if they didn't run 99% of their plays out of predictable shotgun formations trying to make a 5'6 midget gadget player the focal point of the offense.

Seriously, imagine how much better they'd be if the offensive identity was built around pounding the ball with Montgomery 25+ times a game with no impossible pull/trap assignments, just hat on a hat with a lead blocker, with play action game off it.

Guarantee you this same cast of players would produce vastly better results simply by virtue of not running the offense like a 13 year old playing their first game of Madden.
But again, do you really think Nagy and his staff can install an entirely new offense overnight? You guys act like he has always had those I formation plays in his playbook and just refused to call them.

There is only so much change you can make mid season...

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Changes I make

-I formation becomes the base look.

-Shaheen is benched or cut and Raymond is brought up.

-Holtz is legit. In the I formation he is playing FB with Braunecker at TE. When we are in single back he is starting at TE. Only dude giving an effort as a blocker.

-Switch Daniels and Whitehair back.

-Tarik Cohen is benched other than a few specific packages and 3rd and long he can be in the backfield half the time.

-Javon Wims gets more run. Handful of passes in the game are completed to a 6'4" target and not a 5'6' or 5'8" target.

-Montgomery can rest when he is dead.

-Patterson plays special teams.

If you do those things I think you become functional. In the offseason you totally redo the TE room. Upgrade the OL. Get a serious QB.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Changes I make

-I formation becomes the base look.

-Shaheen is benched or cut and Raymond is brought up.

-Holtz is legit. In the I formation he is playing FB with Braunecker at TE. When we are in single back he is starting at TE. Only dude giving an effort as a blocker.

-Switch Daniels and Whitehair back.

-Tarik Cohen is benched other than a few specific packages and 3rd and long he can be in the backfield half the time.

-Javon Wims gets more run. Handful of passes in the game are completed to a 6'4" target and not a 5'6' or 5'8" target.

-Montgomery can rest when he is dead.

-Patterson plays special teams.

If you do those things I think you become functional. In the offseason you totally redo the TE room. Upgrade the OL. Get a serious QB.
Mitch needs Wims out there bad. I'd rather see less Miller and more Wims than leaving Gabriel out. Gabriels the only WR that can take the top off and Mitch likes looking his way. The Mitch/Miller connection seems like it will never work...

I'd also like to see ARob in the slot more running crosses and slants right in Mitchs face against lesser DB's.

Cut Shaheen and activate Horsted. Let Holtz run the blocking assignments and Horsted open up the passing game. Horsted is a huge mismatch on a LB.

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
But again, do you really think Nagy and his staff can install an entirely new offense overnight? You guys act like he has always had those I formation plays in his playbook and just refused to call them.

There is only so much change you can make mid season...

Dude, just think about what we're talking about here...

Those I-formation plays weren't even in the fucking playbook until the Chargers game and the players are able to execute those "new" I-formation plays infinitely better than the Special person gimmick RPO's they've been practicing and running all last year, all offseason, and all this year...

What's that say about Nagy's RPO running scheme?

Answer: that his RPO scheme is complete trash that belongs in the garbage.

It's legit insanity that Nagy insists on repeating the same shit week after week expecting different results. Even more insane when he's actually getting positive results with the i-formation stuff but refuses to use it for more than 1 series per game. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here. Who the fuck runs a team like this?!? It's beyond stupidity.

Bottom line, if Nagy wasn't a fucking stubborn dickhead he could still manage the team to win's despite Trubisky's struggles. Nagy is literally his own worse enemy here. Instead of minimizing the rosters limitations and playing to their strengths he's maximizing the weaknesses and making the regression 100x worse across the board for the entire offense.

Madden

Liked Posts:

Imagine how much better the offense would be if they didn't run 99% of their plays out of predictable shotgun formations trying to make a 5'6 midget gadget player the focal point of the offense.

Seriously, imagine how much better they'd be if the offensive identity was built around pounding the ball with Montgomery 25+ times a game with no impossible pull/trap assignments, just hat on a hat with a lead blocker, with play action game off it.

Guarantee you this same cast of players would produce vastly better results simply by virtue of not running the offense like a 13 year old playing their first game of Madden.

The offense running through Cohen is a joke and symbolizes everything wrong with the offense. Trying to outsmart NFL defenses with misdirection/speed with our smallest player. Cohen is a gadget player and decent punt returner. He should be sprinkled in, not the focal point. 2nd on the team in rushes and catches yet 2.6 yards per rush and 5.7 yards per catch with only 1 TD. Maybe limit the ball in his hands since the production isn't there. Somehow Nagy is too stupid to understand this concept. Keep forcing it though Nagy you dipshit.

I liked how the Cowboys offense was going on Monday night. Solid run game that you can always rely on. Then play action rollouts by Prescott. Good mix of dunking it to Witten and going deeper to Cooper. Some screens, draws , and QB runs mixed in. Go no huddle at random times to throw off the defense. Just unpredictable all around yet still had good rhythm and flow.

Last edited:

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
Love this guys stuff. And I am so glad he called out Eddie Jackson for that whiff.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Nagy needs to stop hamstringing the offense playing guys Pace drafted or paid who are bad.

Cohen is having a garbage season, but he is still a huge part of the game plan. Burton looks like a corpse on the field.

Patterson is a giant tip off to the defense.

Shaheen is pure garbage.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Dude, just think about what we're talking about here...

Those I-formation plays weren't even in the fucking playbook until the Chargers game and the players are able to execute those "new" I-formation plays infinitely better than the Special person gimmick RPO's they've been practicing and running all last year, all offseason, and all this year...

What's that say about Nagy's RPO running scheme?

Answer: that his RPO scheme is complete trash that belongs in the garbage.

It's legit insanity that Nagy insists on repeating the same shit week after week expecting different results. Even more insane when he's actually getting positive results with the i-formation stuff but refuses to use it for more than 1 series per game. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here. Who the fuck runs a team like this?!? It's beyond stupidity.

Bottom line, if Nagy wasn't a fucking stubborn dickhead he could still manage the team to win's despite Trubisky's struggles. Nagy is literally his own worse enemy here. Instead of minimizing the rosters limitations and playing to their strengths he's maximizing the weaknesses and making the regression 100x worse across the board for the entire offense.

I do not even know if it is a "knowing" the system issue. I think the I formation is working because Holtz is a really good lead blocker and it takes Burton's soft ass off the field. It also puts Cohen on the bench.

I think the I formation is what forces him to put some struggling personnel on the bench.

You want the best personnel package the Bears can have on the field on offese

QB: Mitch
RB: Montgomery
FB: Holtz
TE: Braunecker
WR: Robinson
WR: Gabriel/Wims

That personnel package gets your best blockers on the field and gets the bums off the field.

Bears Backer 54

Liked Posts:
I do not even know if it is a "knowing" the system issue. I think the I formation is working because Holtz is a really good lead blocker and it takes Burton's soft ass off the field. It also puts Cohen on the bench.

I think the I formation is what forces him to put some struggling personnel on the bench.

You want the best personnel package the Bears can have on the field on offese

QB: Mitch
RB: Montgomery
FB: Holtz
TE: Braunecker
WR: Robinson
WR: Gabriel/Wims

That personnel package gets your best blockers on the field and gets the bums off the field.
But you can't underestimate the impact of not having a sub-par offensive line talent only being asked to block the guy in front of you. Having low caliber Olinemen try and pull and trap where they have to get downfield and make incredible 2nd level blocks that are only high percentage successful with all pro and pro-bowl type Olinemen is just insane. Watching the tape, you can see that every time we try one of these complex blocking packages one of our Olinemen can't get to their assignment and the play is blown up. I look at that and say change the package to avoid those calls and Nagy looks at it and says, we were one guy doing his job away from getting a big play. 8 weeks in, our Olinemen are not going to transform into high caliber. Make the blocking easier for your linemen and put the skills player package you mentioned above out on the field and run this as your base formation.

Bears Backer 54

Liked Posts:
On top of that, Pat is way too deliberate getting off his punts. I don’t think the Bears have ever had a punter get more blocked than him.
That is definitely a contributing factor, but having guys stunt and loop in and having someone come untouched to the punter is just a recipe for disaster and we've had it bite us a couple times now.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Nagy needs to stop hamstringing the offense playing guys Pace drafted or paid who are bad.

Cohen is having a garbage season, but he is still a huge part of the game plan. Burton looks like a corpse on the field.

Patterson is a giant tip off to the defense.

Shaheen is pure garbage.
Patterson gets WAAAAAY too many snaps as a WR. He's playing the outside WR position when Wims should be there.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
I think it's the whole Reid coaching tree thing. They have a soft spot for those smaller pass catching mismatches. Andy loved Brian Westbrook, who tured out. Doug completely loves Darren Sproles. He's 36 years old and really not needed, but yet he has a roster spot and has a lot of job security.

Maybe it's some kind of little person fetish?

Side bar - I get bonus points for not saying midget.

Double side bar - I just said the 'm' word in my above Side bar. Crap!

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
There is so much wrong with offense.

-The entire OL has regressed

Going to focus on that one. On paper Daniels to center should have worked, but it just ended up hitting the reset button on any chemistry they built the previous season. They are not playing as a unit, period.

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:
- Nagy really screws things up.

- Redneck Bigfoot sucks

- Eddie Jackson is soft against the run and a poor tackler

- Montgomery can straight play

-

Reactions: DC

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
But you can't underestimate the impact of not having a sub-par offensive line talent only being asked to block the guy in front of you. Having low caliber Olinemen try and pull and trap where they have to get downfield and make incredible 2nd level blocks that are only high percentage successful with all pro and pro-bowl type Olinemen is just insane. Watching the tape, you can see that every time we try one of these complex blocking packages one of our Olinemen can't get to their assignment and the play is blown up. I look at that and say change the package to avoid those calls and Nagy looks at it and says, we were one guy doing his job away from getting a big play. 8 weeks in, our Olinemen are not going to transform into high caliber. Make the blocking easier for your linemen and put the skills player package you mentioned above out on the field and run this as your base formation.

They are running a lot of the same stuff. The I formation runs are all inside zone runs. They just put a FB on the field and that FB routinely wins his blocks.