Tarik Cohen

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
So much has been made about the Oline and Trubisky struggling last year.

I want to talk about Cohen. Seems like from day one of training camp (when he got yelled at for doing stupid car shit) last year was not his year.

Rushing yards per attempt were down 1.2 yards per carry.

Receiving yards were even worse. Despite catching 8 MORE receptions he hauled in 269 LESS yards. That's 4.4 yards per reception less than the year before.

So what gives? Did fame get to Tarik? Was it the Oline? Mitch? Nagy? When he was at the top of his game in 2018 he was a force to be reckoned with. Now I've seen some fans ask if he's cut canidate.

What's the solution? Personally I don't think you can blame it all on the line or Mitch or Nagy. The guy just had a SHIT year. Wouldn't mind seeing a third RB drafted myself. Clyde Edwards-Helaire is a beast that would solve the problem. But you can probably find some guys later on that would fix it too.

Also, don't know if this got posted last week but pretty damn funny.

https://clutchpoints.com/bears-news...se-to-fan-telling-him-to-run-north-and-south/

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think it may have been a little bit of fame. A lot of it was offensive line. An equal part of it was the defense assuming Trubisky couldn't hit anything 15 yards downfield and keying on the short passing game. I'm also sure that losing his brother in the off-season couldn't have helped. I'm sure he would say that didn't affect him, but he wouldn't be human if that were the case.

I also saw an interview or an article or something saying he wanted to put on more muscle for this (2020) season. I feel like the NFL is one of those leagues where success can hinder success. Guys come into the league and they're lightning quick or blazing fast and defenses can't run with them. Then they start taking hits and feel like they need to add muscle or otherwise bulk-up to take the punishment. Then they slow down because of the 10-15 pounds of extra weight. It's one of the reasons I think Devin Duernay is the steal of the receiver class. He's already bulked up, already catching over the middle and is super productive. If anything, he might want to drop 5 pounds. Actually, I'd prefer he dropped 10 (to take him to 200, at 5'11).

Last edited:

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I think it may have been a little bit of fame. A lot of it was offensive line. An equal part of it was the defense assuming Trubisky couldn't hit anything 15 yards downfield and keying on the short passing game. I'm also sure that losing his brother in the off-season couldn't have helped. I'm sure he would say that didn't affect him, but he wouldn't be human if that were the case.

I also saw an interview or an article or something saying he wanted to put on more muscle for this (2020) season. I feel like the NFL is one of those leagues where success can hinder success. Guys come into the league and they're lightning quick or blazing fast and defenses can't run with them. Then they start taking hits and feel like they need to add muscle or otherwise bulk-up to take the punishment. Then they slow down because of the 10-15 pounds of extra weight. It's one of the reasons I think Devin Duernay is the steal of the receiver class. He's already bulked up, already catching over the middle and is super productive. If anything, he might want to drop 5 pounds. Actually, I'd prefer he dropped 10 (to take him to 200, at 5'11).

Didn’t realize he lost his brother. Now I feel like a dick. I mean I am a dick..... but still.

Bearsforlife75

Liked Posts:
Off

the Subject I've been with bears since 83 and they don't gibe y'all an extended contract for you and all Robinson I'm done. Y'all are our nest weapon on offense and they spending money on bring other people in instead of taking care of the one that was actually productive

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Cohen is small.

That attribute is hurting him the longer his career goes on.
He is no Barry Sanders.

Draft another RB and be glad when Cohen hits FA.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Didn’t realize he lost his brother. Now I feel like a dick. I mean I am a dick..... but still.

Nah bro, it's a legitimate question- his production dropped off. It's a highly visible, highly rewarded (or ridiculed) profession. If I screw up at work, I don't have a couple of million social media users attacking me. I also don't have hundreds of women in my DMs or get endorsement deals or get promotional cars or free meals offered to me just for showing up at a restaurant, waving, and smiling at the crowd. The NFL is a "What have you done for me lately" league. I do think Cohen will bounce back, and I certainly wish him well. But the brutality of the league bothers me sometimes. These are people behind these uniforms, people who might be taking years off of their lives playing this game. Yes, they're highly compensated, but sill... Sorry, stepping down off the compassion bus.

(Edit: I was wrong- he was shot and paralyzed; not sure if he made it or not. My apologies Mr Cohen when you read this).

BearDen

High Ranking Member
Liked Posts:
Off

the Subject I've been with bears since 83 and they don't gibe y'all an extended contract for you and all Robinson I'm done. Y'all are our nest weapon on offense and they spending money on bring other people in instead of taking care of the one that was actually productive
Can you try again and make this post comprehensible? Thanks

wisconsinbearsfan

Liked Posts:
Can you try again and make this post comprehensible? Thanks
"Off subject, but I've been a Bears fan since 1983 and if Ryan Pace doesn't give Tarik Cohen and Allen Robinson contract extensions, then I'm done being a Bears fan. They're our best offensive weapons, and instead they're spending money on bringing other players in instead of taking care of our own players who were actually productive."

I knew living in Wisconsin would pay off sometime.

msadows

Liked Posts:
What it was...you didn't list.

It was the absence of Trey Burton.

msadows

Liked Posts:

I want to talk about Cohen. Seems like from day one of training camp (when he got yelled at for doing stupid car shit) last year was not his year.

Receiving yards were even worse. Despite catching 8 MORE receptions he hauled in 269 LESS yards. That's 4.4 yards per reception less than the year before.

So what gives? Did fame get to Tarik? Was it the Oline? Mitch? Nagy? When he was at the top of his game in 2018 he was a force to be reckoned with. Now I've seen some fans ask if he's cut canidate.

What's the solution? Personally I don't think you can blame it all on the line or Mitch or Nagy. The guy just had a SHIT year. Wouldn't mind seeing a third RB drafted myself. Clyde Edwards-Helaire is a beast that would solve the problem. But you can probably find some guys later on that would fix it too.

https://clutchpoints.com/bears-news...se-to-fan-telling-him-to-run-north-and-south/

And, I'd like to also say what changed this year as far as running to ball(at least for him) is our outside blocking.

The perception that cohen ran a ton to the outside wasn't true this year. They failed hard when any RB ran a sweep. By far his most used run, for both rb's, was right up the middle and lg/c. Obviously....because its where the only two blockers on our team are.

Both monty's and cohen's YPC to the right was fuckin awful.

In 2018 Burton was an excellent blocker as a flex tight end and helped set the edge for cohen a lot. Helped him in the passing game by giving him favorable coverages.

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Cohen ran to the sidelines too much. I felt Cohen was preserving himself so that he can get a contract extension that paid him better. Problem is the league finally wised up about RBs. They are disposable. Oline is more important.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Cohen ran to the sidelines too much. I felt Cohen was preserving himself so that he can get a contract extension that paid him better. Problem is the league finally wised up about RBs. They are disposable. Oline is more important.

Dude, i legit just debunked that in the post above.

2018, yes, he ran sweeps a ton, and they worked.
2019 his most ran play was right up the gut.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

And what about the 4.4 YPC drop?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

He ran to the sidelines a ton when he got the ball, not called runs, but on most of his passes.

His yards after the catch went down almost 50%. Explosive plays went down 90%. His broken tackles disappeared.

msadows

Liked Posts:
And what about the 4.4 YPC drop?

Blocking? 2018 his avg to the right side was 5ypc+. 2019 with our piss poor outside blocking and RT situation his ypc was 1.2

Not saying he doesn't get part of the blame, but the loss of a very good blocking TE and Massie isn't something to overlook.

msadows

Liked Posts:
He ran to the sidelines a ton when he got the ball, not called runs, but on most of his passes.

His yards after the catch went down almost 50%. Explosive plays went down 90%. His broken tackles disappeared.

Once again I feel like a lot of that has to do with Burton. Burton lined up inline about 50% of the time he was on the field. Helped give tarik better advantages in the passing game.

As much shit people give to burton he was actually a great asset in 2018. He was open a ton. People almost act like he never happened now because he's been hurt.

TheMarshallPlan

Ladies: Libertarians Do It Better!
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

Cohen is a gimmick player in a predictable offense who plays with no guts.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Several things changed. Fewer plays, Less TOP. The offensive play calling. Horrible Oline play. Less broken plays, Cohen’s preservation game play, getting zero production from the TE position. The lack of a playmaking TE probably hurt this offense more than most. It was like a V6 running on 5 cylinders the whole time and nobody else on offense was good enough to make up for the loss.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

I've already said that we should be calling the Bucs up to try to trade him to them for a draft pick cause Brady loves his little scat backs that can catch passes out of the backfield.