The 2019 QB Tiers from The Athletic

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
https://theathletic.com/1082093/2019/07/22/2019-nfl-quarterback-tiers-rankings/

Mitch checks in at #25(Bottom of Tier 3)

Bolded is stuff we've been discussing for a while and I've personally mentioned discussing with Windy City
While some voters expressed serious concerns about Trubisky’s outlook, reviews were generally more favorable than his No. 25 ranking might indicate.
“He has a really good arm, he can make the great throw, he is a good deep-ball thrower, he is not afraid to stand in the pocket, he’s not afraid of the noise of getting hit, which is a good sign,” an offensive coordinator said. “I just don’t think he really knows what’s going on yet.”

Much is made of Trubisky’s relative inexperience. He attempted 572 passes during his college career. That’s a small number, but it’s more than 2019 No. 1 overall pick Kyler Murray attempted (519). Trubisky now has 26 NFL starts. His 15-11 record in those games traces largely to Chicago allowing 17.4 points per game in those 26 outings, the lowest over the past two seasons for any quarterback with at least 10 starts during that time.

“He’s a 3, and I like what I see, but he is more in the Andy Dalton category to me,” a former GM said. “When you get to the playoffs and things get tough, I’m not sure. When he has to win the game for you, I’m not sure. You need the good run game, you need the receivers, you need the really good coach, you need the good defense.”
Six voters placed Trubisky in the second tier, while others wondered whether he had the accuracy and anticipation to ascend.

“Even though they have Khalil (Mack) and some high-juice guys, it is his team,” an offensive coordinator said of Trubisky. “That is how it appears from the outside, and talking to people there, he is an awesome guy. His production is not great, but I think he has the ability. I think he is going to get better. He has what you need in terms of leadership at that position.”

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Tier 1: A Tier 1 quarterback can carry his team each week. The team wins because of him. He expertly handles pure passing situations.
Rodgers
Brady
Brees
Mahomes
Luck
Rivers
Roethlisberger
Wilson

Tier 2: A Tier 2 quarterback can carry his team sometimes but not as consistently. He can handle pure passing situations in doses and/or possesses other dimensions that are special enough to elevate him above Tier 3. He has a hole or two in his game.
Ryan
Wentz
Stafford
Watson
Goff
Mayfield

Tier 3: A Tier 3 quarterback is a legitimate starter but needs a heavier running game and/or defense to win. A lower-volume passing offense makes his job easier.
Newton
Cousins
Prescott
Foles
Garoppolo
Carr
Flacco
Dalton
Winston
Manning
Trubisky
Mariota
Darnold

Tier 4: A Tier 4 quarterback could be an unproven player with some upside or a veteran who is ultimately best suited as a backup.
L. Jackson
Allen
Fitzpatrick
Keenum
Rosen

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
So the Guy that says he is a good Deep Ball thrower, must be looking a stats only and has not watched too many games.....

If he is 25th and has done enough to win us 12 games last year, imagine if he moves up into the tier 2 category, which is where I really think he is.

Maybe I am a homer, but I tend to think he has more potential than most of the guys in that Tier 2.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Stafford in the 2nd tier ???

And Trubisky is going to be in a high pass volume offense, so that means Nagy doesnt believe he's a tier 3 QB...

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Stafford in the 2nd tier ???

And Trubisky is going to be in a high pass volume offense, so that means Nagy doesnt believe he's a tier 3 QB...
Ummmmmmm Nagy doesnt get a vote on what "tier" a QB is in, not would he concern himself with that exercise. What is the matter with you????

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would have thought Stafford would be lower, Prescott higher, and Rivers lower. I agree for the most part with all of the rankings(even the Stafford, and Rivers ones). I might make some very slight moves but overall I think the list is very good.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Stafford is iffy, but I really like how they broke down the tiers with the explanations. It makes sense.

Although I would put Flacco in a Tier 5: A QB who is making an exciting home debut in Week 2
Given the explanation of what a Tier 2 QB is I think Stafford fits perfectly there. People might take issue with his rank within the Tier but I think the "DNA" of the Tier is accurate for him

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I would have thought Stafford would be lower, Prescott higher, and Rivers lower. I agree for the most part with all of the rankings(even the Stafford, and Rivers ones). I might make some very slight moves but overall I think the list is very good.
It's a well thought out list. Probably the best list of QB tiers out there

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
The tier explanations are best. Don’t need to get caught up in the minutiae of stats. Rankings seem reasonable. And I think it would not take much a few quarterbacks to change tiers. I don’t think there is a great divide between ranks 2 and 3.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I've really enjoyed my subscription to the Athletic. This is another well done piece IMO.

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:
I feel like the Tier 2 description fits Trubisky perfectly.

He can and has carried the team at times, he has stretches of excellent accuracy and great play in pure passing situations, and he's got some of the best running ability out of all the QBs in the league.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

He can and has carried the team at times, he has stretches of excellent accuracy and great play in pure passing situations, and he's got some of the best running ability out of all the QBs in the league.
I think it's the marked inconsistency that keeps him out of tier 2 in this ranking, but that will very well change if he can show some maturation. The backwards hat and scooter thing does suggest that growing up is something he still needs to do, but I won't get too concerned with that like @CRM 114, and wait for him to show some maturity on the field and with the playbook before I start rallying around finding his replacement.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:

I don’t think he carried the team much. Maybe in shorts spurts, but not for a whole game.

Doesn’t mean I don’t think he won’t get to that point.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
I think it's the marked inconsistency that keeps him out of tier 2 in this ranking, but that will very well change if he can show some maturation. The backwards hat and scooter thing does suggest that growing up is something he still needs to do, but I won't get too concerned with that like @CRM 114, and wait for him to show some maturity on the field and with the playbook before I start rallying around finding his replacement.

Tier 6: A Tier 6 quarterback wears his hat backwards and rides a scooter.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Tier 3: A Tier 3 quarterback is a legitimate starter but needs a heavier running game and/or defense to win. A lower-volume passing offense makes his job easier.
Newton
Cousins
Prescott
Foles
Garoppolo
Carr
Flacco
Dalton
Winston
Manning

Trubisky
Mariota
Darnold

Bolded players are the QBs who kind of suck, IMO.

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:
I don’t think he carried the team much. Maybe in shorts spurts, but not for a whole game.

Doesn’t mean I don’t think he won’t get to that point.
Well I think you could argue he carried the team in the first DET game, the Miami game, and the NE game.

I know they lost of those, but without Mitch playing really well those 2 losses are blow outs. Defense was especially ass against Miami.