The 2020 Personnel Discussion: Offense

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
No I am not extending someone who did their job in line with what I paid them until their contract is up. Extensions should be for people that outperformed their contract. ARob is not outperforming his contract.
It’s a good thing you aren’t a GM. This hurts the teams financial flexibility and would cause them to lose a lot of good players to FA

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
In the real world bonuses and the like are a combination of meeting company goals and exceeding expectations individually. Difference between successful companies and teams like the Pats and terrible companies and teams like the Bears.

How many guys get extensions with the Pats? Hint it isnt guys just meeting expectations.

The Patriots are very big on early extensions for guys. It makes the most cap sense if you have confidence in the player to do the extension with 1 year left.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Or the person underperforms and you dont end up blowing money on Massie. If a guy is outperforming his contract then extending him is less risk because even if performance dips it is likely to still met expectations. If you extending guys who just meeting expectstions then a dip means they now may be underperforming.

We didn’t have a legit RT on the team. Massie was at the end of his contract

Massie last year was good. So the Bears signed to what was a friendly contract.

They literally did what you are saying to do with ARob

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Massie's contract looks mediocre because he was bad this season.

But 8/season and 18 guaranteed is a pretty good deal based on his 2018 play.

The problem is that Massie is a volatile player and you lost the bet. Robinson is not a volatile player.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Or they continue to perform at a high level and you get them at a better cap number.

Massie was a bigger risk because he has been more volatile in his career. Goldman, Hicks, even Leno have played at the level they were extended at.

ARob only has 1 season over 1k yards? That is volatile. He will get his second this year bit doesnt change he is not a consistent top performer.

Hicks deserved his extension as he is actually one of the better 3-4 DEs in the NFL.

Goldman basically has been a consistent performer since he was drafted.

Leno was an average dude that should not have been extended.

You are proving my point. Hicks and Goldman had more consistent track records than Leno and Hicks in particular was near All Pro level. Leno is just a guy. ARob is a low end No 1 performing like he was paid with a career where he has yet to hit 1k yards in 2 consecutive years.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

No Massie has always been up and down. Last year was only year his PFF grade was above 70 the last 4 years. I was in favor of letting him go after last year if you were to check any offseason threads on the subject. I been complaining about him and Leno for a couple years now. Could have done what I am saying now amd gone out and got a legit RT. Massie's run block grade hasnt been above 60 in 7 years. 7 years. That is not a RT. And yall wonder why our Run Game sucks.

Last edited:

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Massie's contract looks mediocre because he was bad this season.

But 8/season and 18 guaranteed is a pretty good deal based on his 2018 play.

The problem is that Massie is a volatile player and you lost the bet. Robinson is not a volatile player.

The Bears waited to after his final year to give him a new contract, so whatever cautionary tale Remy is pushing with Massie does not apply to Arob.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
No Massie has always been up and down. Last year was only year his PFF grade was above 70 the last 4 years. I was in favor of letting him go after last year if you were to check any offseason threads on the subject. I been complaining about him and Leno for a couple years now. Could have done what I am saying now amd gone out and got a legit RT. Massie's run block grade hasnt been above 60 in 7 years. 7 years. That is not a RT. And yall wonder why our Run Game sucks.

but that has no application to ARob.....

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
but that has no application to ARob.....

Agreed in terms of extensions no application to ARob.

As it relates to inconsistent performance then it applies to ARob as he has never been a consistent No 1 or 1k WR. So like I said, let him prove he can do it again next year.

You want to reward him for what will be his first 1k yard season since 2015.

I mean if you were his agent then I get it but from a team perspective he is No 20 in yards and No 25 in YPG. You basically want the Bears to negotiate against themselves. His numbers dont warant 15 million a year. Then again Pace seems to have a habit of overpaying so maybe he will do again bit not good business.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
@WindyCity you still on the Orton.....excuse me Fromm bandwagon

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Agreed in terms of extensions no application to ARob.

As it relates to inconsistent performance then it applies to ARob as he has never been a consistent No 1 or 1k WR. So like I said, let him prove he can do it again next year.

You want to reward him as for what will be his first 1k yard season since 2015.

yes I do.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Leno
As YouTube series "The Tape Never Lies" showed week after week, Leno was not preforming well enough to start. He has limited talent to begin with, and he was not using correct technique nor effort -- and since he's done better, we assume that's an attitude issue... likely worsened by the extension. (Not that the extension was necessarily a bad decision, but we know Leno now.) 2020 Leno should have starting competition, and hopefully be an expensive swing tackle cause we're stuck with him.

Massie is a very similar situation. We're stuck with him 2020.

We should draft one OT in the 2nd, at least; or two if excellent OTs are there. The draftee may take awhile to develop, so you need to see if Free Agency can provide a reasonably priced competitive swing tackle (maybe Lucas is the guy), giving the Bears four OTs, likely 2 of which can play G if required.

Last edited:

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Of course not. But it is a position that needs to be addressed in the draft.

In the case that the OT position was wiped out I would pivot to OG or TE.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Leno
As YouTube series "The Tape Never Lies" showed week after week, Leno was not preforming well enough to start. He has limited talent to begin with, and he was not using correct technique nor effort -- and since he's done better, we assume that's an attitude issue... likely worsened by the extension. (Not that the extension was necessarily a bad decision, but we know Leno now.) 2020 Leno should have starting competition, and hopefully be an expensive swing tackle cause we're stuck with him.

Massie is a very similar situation. We're stuck with him 2020.

We should draft one OT in the 2nd, at least; or two if excellent OTs are there. The draftee may take awhile to develop, so you need to see if Free Agency can provide a reasonably priced competitive swing tackle (maybe Lucas is the guy), giving the Bears four OTs, likely 2 of which can play G if required.

I think Lucas may be that guy. He has been very solid.

I also like David Sharpe from Oakland. Big dude who has played at both LT and RT.

WookieOnRitalin

Liked Posts:
If the Qb position isn't addressed then all these other changes mean very little.

The Bears do not have the resources to address the QB position this offseason. They are locked in to Trubisky. The best they can hope for is a lateral move as I do not see the Bears spending any significant money in the offseason to take over for Trubs or just to compete with him.

Then the Bears are razor thin on draft capital. The best bet is really to ride out Trubisky by improving the line and modifying the system to best use his skills.

By making investments in the line, the floor of what you do is create a situation where another QB can be drafted into a good situation in 2021 or signed in FA.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Trubisky will be the QB.....I doubt very little will change from that.