The 2020 Personnel Discussion: Offense

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
The Bears do not have the resources to address the QB position this offseason. They are locked in to Trubisky. The best they can hope for is a lateral move as I do not see the Bears spending any significant money in the offseason to take over for Trubs or just to compete with him.

Then the Bears are razor thin on draft capital. The best bet is really to ride out Trubisky by improving the line and modifying the system to best use his skills.

By making investments in the line, the floor of what you do is create a situation where another QB can be drafted into a good situation in 2021 or signed in FA.

IDK if we need to spend a lotta $$$$. But just bring in somebody with mobility. Daniel & Bray provide nothing.

The Bears do not have the resources to address the QB position this offseason. They are locked in to Trubisky.

My friend..... this is not new......you won't believe how many yrs. I've seen this narrative play out. This goes back to before and after Jim McMahon. And that's why ya see me harp on the Qb position so much.

It's like something outta the 'Twilight Zone'. ? We just keep looping over & over.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think Lucas may be that guy. He has been very solid.

I also like David Sharpe from Oakland. Big dude who has played at both LT and RT.

Lucas run grade is 55. For the love of God if we are getting a RT the dude needs to be a fucking mauler even if that means sacrificing a bit of pass protection. This offense needs guys on the right side who can actually run block.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
There is no logical reason for Daniel or Bray to be with us next year. They are not competent backups in any way shape or form.

So we need to add 2 QBs regardless IMO.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Remy you rely on PFF as if their scores were facts....this is part of your problem.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Remy you rely on PFF as if their scores were facts....this is part of your problem.

No I am pointing out information that suggests Lucas is not a good run blocker. Considering our run game has sucked for much of the year, I have no information from watching the games that would suggest otherwise. In addition, against the Cowboys and Lions where Monty had over 4 YPC that was because of running off the left side and because his yards after contact were much higher than previous games. The yards before contract on the right side was still piss poor. So the data suggests it was really Monty that was driving it. I would also note that in both games they tended to run more to the left than right which generally it is the other way around ie teams run right more because that is generally where the good run blockers play. So the Bears themselves seem to be favoring runs away from Lucas.

PFF also notes that Lucas was a good pass blocker and the pass protection has seemed to improve since Massie went down so I presumed that is what Windy was referring too. In fact, I would not mind them trying Lucas at LT to see if his pass blocking holds up over there as he seems to be a better pass blocker than run blocker looking at the data and watching the games.

So I am not relying on PFF. I used their grade because I think it supports what I have actually seen. Pass protection has improved somewhat but the run blocking is still incredibly suspect. And I am not just looking at the raw grade. I am looking at the directional data as well. I just have no reason to spend 3 paragraphs explaining that until you asked.

Last edited:

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
Build around Daniels and whitehair I still think Daniels should play center... He is too small for guard.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
No I am pointing out information that suggests Lucas is not a good run blocker. Considering our run game has sucked for much of the year, I have no information from watching the games that would suggest otherwise. In addition, against the Cowboys and Lions where Monty had over 4 YPC that was because of running off the left side and because his yards after contact were much higher than previous games. The yards before contract on the right side was still piss poor. So the data suggests it was really Monty that was driving it. I would also note that in both games they tended to run more to the left than right which generally it is the other way around ie teams run right more because that is generally where the good run blockers play. So the Bears themselves seem to be favoring runs away from Lucas.

PFF also notes that Lucas was a good pass blocker and the pass protection has seemed to improve since Massie went down so I presumed that is what Windy was referring too. In fact, I would not mind them trying Lucas at LT to see if his pass blocking holds up over there as he seems to be a better pass blocker than run blocker looking at the data and watching the games.

So I am not relying on PFF. I used their grade because I think it supports what I have actually seen. Pass protection has improved somewhat but the run blocking is still incredibly suspect. And I am not just looking at the raw grade. I am looking at the directional data as well. I just have no reason to spend 3 paragraphs explaining that until you asked.

i appreciate that much better

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The really sad thing looking at the PFF data is that Wims grades out as our best run blocker followed by Tarik Cohen and Allen Robinson. Yes you read that correctly, our 5-6 RB has run blocked 48 times this season and has a 66.2 run block grade. In fact, the top 6 run blockers on the team are all, WR, TEs, or RBs. Daniels is 7th and the only lineman with a grade above 60 run blocking.

So one of the fundamental issues on the O is the OL is fucking garbage run blocking. We desperately need guys that can run block hence why I think we need a new RT and RG. You can sacrifice run blocking for pass blockers on the left side with Leno/Lucas, Daniels and Whitehair but this O likely going nowhere if we don't get a couple of maulers on the right side.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The really sad thing looking at the PFF data is that Wims grades out as our best run blocker followed by Tarik Cohen and Allen Robinson. Yes you read that correctly, our 5-6 RB has run blocked 48 times this season and has a 66.2 run block grade. In fact, the top 6 run blockers on the team are all, WR, TEs, or RBs. Daniels is 7th and the only lineman with a grade above 60 run blocking.

So one of the fundamental issues on the O is the OL is fucking garbage run blocking. We desperately need guys that can run block hence why I think we need a new RT and RG. You can sacrifice run blocking for pass blockers on the left side with Leno/Lucas, Daniels and Whitehair but this O likely going nowhere if we don't get a couple of maulers on the right side.

Major improvement is needed.

I would like competition at LT, RG, RT and add a better Y TE, unless Holtz continue to flash.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He had an injury filled year...it depends if he is healthy or not next year...if he's healthy, he's a full go as starter.

Even healthy he hasn't done much. And I don't think he's ever going to be 100%. He's so bad, that he isn't even OWNED in most of my fantasy leagues.

SEASONRECYDSTDTGTATTYDSTDFUM LOST
RECEIVINGRUSHING
2019*17.71491.4427.30000.25

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Even healthy he hasn't done much. And I don't think he's ever going to be 100%. He's so bad, that he isn't even OWNED in most of my fantasy leagues.

RECEIVINGRUSHING

we aren't talking about the same person

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
RGs That I am Interested In

1. Brandon Scherff [probably tagged]
2. Joe Thuney [probably re-signed]
3. Graham Glasgow
4. Quenton Spain

I think all 4 would be upgrades, some massive upgrades.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:

RECEIVINGRUSHING
You keep referencing fantasy leagues when discussing Burton. Literally nobody cares about his fantasy stats or the fact he isn’t owned in leagues because he is out for the year. Bringing fantasy discussion into talk of an actual players value shows a fundamental lack of grasp on reality

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
RGs That I am Interested In

1. Brandon Scherff [probably tagged]
2. Joe Thuney [probably re-signed]
3. Graham Glasgow
4. Quenton Spain

I think all 4 would be upgrades, some massive upgrades.

1. 72 pass block and 76 run block
2. 87 pass block and 67 run block
3. 64 pass block and 75 run block
4. 72 pass block and 48.3 run block

Just to provide some data for those unfamiliar with the above players.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
1. 72 pass block and 76 run block
2. 87 pass block and 67 run block
3. 64 pass block and 75 run block
4. 72 pass block and 48.3 run block

Just to provide some data for those unfamiliar with the above players.

If I am not mistaken Coward is in the 50s?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Leno - 70 and 44
Lucas - 68 and 55
Massie - 67 and 57
Whitehair - 63 and 58
Daniels - 68 and 62
Coward - 41 and 59

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Michael Schofield is a good FA RG too.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
OLs I would like

LT: Leno/2nd
LG: Daniels, Bars
C: Whitehair
RG: Free Agent, Coward
RT: Massie/Lucas

OL I would accept

LT: Leno/4th-5th
RG: 2nd, Coward

kg1187

Liked Posts:
OLs I would like

LT: Leno/2nd
RG: Free Agent, Coward

OL I would accept

LT: Leno/4th-5th
RG: 2nd, Coward

The second scenario makes more sense with Pace and Nagy's questionable job security next season. Both second rounders need to spent on potential starter's without pushing 10 million players to the bench with nowhere to go.

msadows

Liked Posts:

Remy has stated multiple times he forms his opinions on players based on stats and not actually watching the games.

This is fine in baseball where the success and failure of an individual player lies....on the individual player.

Thing is, that is not how football works.