The 2020 Personnel Discussion: Offense

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Remy has stated multiple times he forms his opinions on players based on stats and not actually watching the games.

This is fine in baseball where the success and failure of an individual player lies....on the individual player.

Thing is, that is not how football works.

I have never stated this. You are making shit up.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
My ideal OL scenario

LT: Leno vs 2nd round pick

Leno is average on his best days and he needs competition even if it does not beat him out week 1, you need to start the development process and give yourself options.

LG: Daniels

He is better at LG, leave him.

C: Whitehair

RG: Coward vs Bars vs 5th round pick

Put 3 young guys into a competition and let the best OG play. The others provide nice depth.

RT: Massie vs Lucas

Lucas has been better, but I suspect Massie wins this competition, but make him work over the summer and we know Lucas can hold up as a starter for short stints.

In this scenario what position would be ideal for the other second round pick?

Id personally like to see the bears go OG and WR. Push Anthony Miller to WR 3 and get a legit guy to come in and take Gabriel’s spot. Of course a TE would be nice here but the bears simply don’t have time to develop one.

I think drafting a backup tackle with a second round pick is a luxury the bears cannot afford unless he is for sure to replace one of the starters.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
In this scenario what position would be ideal for the other second round pick?

Id personally like to see the bears go OG and WR. Push Anthony Miller to WR 3 and get a legit guy to come in and take Gabriel’s spot. Of course a TE would be nice here but the bears simply don’t have time to develop one.

I think drafting a backup tackle with a second round pick is a luxury the bears cannot afford unless he is for sure to replace one of the starters.

I think we are good at WR. Don't want to over invest in a spot that has guys and we really should not be throwing the ball enough to make that worthwhile.

I would go OL and then one of

TE
CB
OLB

Depending on what happens in free agency and with Floyd and Prince.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
IMO in terms of "O" talent at the skilled positions the Ravens are no better than us....except in one area.........?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
IMO in terms of "O" talent at the skilled positions the Ravens are no better than us....except in one area.........?

2, their OL and TEs are way better.

That being said we have better WRs.

But your point is correct. SF, Pit, and Buf are other teams who are winning with limited QBs and ass kicking lines.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
2, their OL and TEs are way better.

That being said we have better WRs.

But your point is correct. SF, Pit, and Buf are other teams who are winning with limited QBs and ass kicking lines.
They lack a Allen robinson but I wouldn't say it's alot worse..

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Think there is likely going to be a very good WR prospect available in the 2nd round and I would not pass them up if there.

Miller is a FA one year after ARob so I think we need to start restocking preferably with someone with speed.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
This draft might have a ton of wrs under 4.4 in the 40 yard dash

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Our skill positions are far overrated. Robinson is a stud but outside of that we have unproven guys. I’d be fine with drafting a WR in round 2 if it’s a play maker.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If Raegor or Ruggs drop in particular, I would pick them up in a heartbeat. That level of speed would add element to offense currently lacking.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The offense is far more limited by the play of their OL than the WR group.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The offense is far more limited by the play of their OL than the WR group.

Think there is better value in 2nd round at WR than OL. So while I agree I would say better to address OL in FA and WR in draft.

The WR group though is a problem because until Miller's late emergence it was really just ARob. And quite frankly I think part of Trubs problem throwing deep is that he doesn't have an elite deep target. A true burner with good hands would allow him to put more air under the ball and trust that the WR can run under it. Instead he has gotten accustomed to having to back shoulder it which leads to him under-throwing a lot of deep balls.

Remember this was suppose to be the KC offense which is predicated on Hill, Kelce and Hunt being able to stretch the field at their respective positions. Right now we don't have a WR, TE or RB that can consistently stretch the field. Monty/Cohen can be that at RB but really need a WR that can consistently do it and that will open up a lot more for everyone else.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Ravens are better at rb, qb, oline, and te..

Well we don't how our OL would do with the run, cuz we don't commit to it from under center on a consistent basis. Pass blocking-wise the Ravens still get beat and let ppl. in on Ljack. HB they have the edge. We have the wr edge with Arob. I'm still saying if our Qb position was more solidified, we're right there.

Montgomery

Ingram

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Well we don't how our OL would do with the run, cuz we don't commit to it from under center on a consistent basis. Pass blocking-wise the Ravens still get beat and let ppl. in on Ljack. HB they have the edge. We have the wr edge with Arob. I'm still saying if our Qb position was more solidified, we're right there.

Montgomery

View attachment 4096

Ingram

View attachment 4095

Ravens are ranked 1st in pass pro and 3rd in run blocking. Bears are 21st and 24th. Ravens vastly superior on OL.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
I know this thread is about offensive personnel in 2020, but you have to always go BPA in the draft. And if that player is an OLB or a CB, you take him.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
Free Bill Polian executive consult

Top offenses in the NFL:

Points per game

Ravens
49ers
Bucs
Chiefs
Saints
Seahawks

Passing YPG

Cowboys
Bucs
Falcons
Chiefs

If only one of these teams had a young QB we could poach inexpensively.

Best offseason plan:

If Winston is available, you pay him 4 years 80 million and are set at QB for the next 4 years.

If he is not, you let go of all the free agents that give you a compensatory pick and you trade away the other aging guys and start a proper rebuild now instead of in 2 years.

TLDR: shit or get off the pot
Did you just say jameis Winston ?

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Chase Daniel said it on All Access

"Whether you like it or not, this offense starts and ends with the quarterback. So if Mitch has a good practice, usually the entire offense is gonna have a good practice."

This is why those saying we need to limit how much we throw are going to be disappointed. This is a pass first offense...no matter what.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Well we don't know how our OL would do with the run, cuz we don't commit to it from under center on a consistent basis. Pass blocking-wise the Ravens still get beat and let ppl. in on Ljack. HB they have the edge. We have the wr edge with Arob. I'm still saying if our Qb position was more solidified, we're right there.

Ravens are ranked 1st in pass pro and 3rd in run blocking. Bears are 21st and 24th. Ravens vastly superior on OL.

The Ravens pass-blocking has gotten better as the season progresses. I've been watching their games and the Ravens pass-blocking was problematic. The key to their passing game has been play-action. Earlier I mentioned why the Ravens run blocking is so good. The Ravens commit to it, we don't

On str8 drop backs, the Ravens are still a little shaky, but improving ( based on what I've seen in their games). Ljack makes the pass blocking look better, with his ability to move around and extend plays when the protection breaks down. IMO.
If we just had Ljack we'd be a lot better, even with what we have now on "O". IMO.

Last edited:

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
This is why those saying we need to limit how much we throw are going to be disappointed. This is a pass first offense...no matter what.

EXACTLY. And that's why our running game production suffers.

Last edited: