The 2020 Personnel Discussion: Offense

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If you are telling me Floyd goes and the money gets shifted to Brandon Scherff or Joe Thuney, then yes I will drive him to the airport.

Floyd should go regardless. But yes, we should absolutely address OL in FA. For me you should have a stud at every level of the O and D. So on D, we have Jackson and Fuller in the secondary, Mack at LB, and Hicks at DL.

On O, we are liking. QB is unknown, RB is potential, WR we have ARob, and on the OL, we really don't have a true stud as Whitehair as been a bit too up and down at times.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Floyd should go regardless. But yes, we should absolutely address OL in FA. For me you should have a stud at every level of the O and D. So on D, we have Jackson and Fuller in the secondary, Mack at LB, and Hicks at DL.

On O, we are liking. QB is unknown, RB is potential, WR we have ARob, and on the OL, we really don't have a true stud as Whitehair as been a bit too up and down at times.

I just worry that Scherff and Thuney who are the studs are not going to hit the market. Those teams have 40 million in cap space to get something done.

kg1187

Liked Posts:
I keep seeing a lot of talk of adding new OT's but the Bears are stuck with Leno and Massie for 2020.

Cutting Leno would result in 7.4 million in dead space with a cap savings of less than 3 million. Cutting Massie would cost the Bears 4 million dollars of cap space with over 12 million of dead space.

Bears aren't investing in OT next season. They have to hope and pray Leno and Massie rebound next season. There's really no other choice unless they plan on moving one of them to RG.

Add a proven RG and hope improved QB play fixes the tackles. The Bears just don't have the resources to keep investing in OT this off season.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I keep seeing a lot of talk of adding new OT's but the Bears are stuck with Leno and Massie for 2020.

Cutting Leno would result in 7.4 million in dead space with a cap savings of less than 3 million. Cutting Massie would cost the Bears 4 million dollars of cap space with over 12 million of dead space.

Bears aren't investing in OT next season. They have to hope and pray Leno and Massie rebound next season. There's really no other choice unless they plan on moving one of them to RG.

Add a proven RG and hope improved QB play fixes the tackles. The Bears just don't have the resources to keep investing in OT this off season.

Hope they rebound to "average" that is all they really are.

You draft an OT for competition and depth and hope they take one of their jobs and you can move on in 2021.

Good chance the Bears are not drafting any guaranteed starters in 2020. Really the best we can hope for is a ton of competition and options at positions that were weak this year.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
I just worry that Scherff and Thuney who are the studs are not going to hit the market. Those teams have 40 million in cap space to get something done.

thuney may hit the market as the pats usually dont resign olinemen to expensive deals...scherff will be franchised if they cannot come to an agreement at the very least...Supposedly he also turned down an 13 mill per season offer from the redskins so he's looking to reset the highest paid guard market.

pace could be quietly looking at andrus peat who is set to be a FA...saints could tag him as well but with brees and bridgewater both being free agents and other free agents like bell, apple etc...peat could make it to the open market...he's had some injuries but he can fill in at tackle as well giving him added versatility.

kg1187

Liked Posts:
Hope they rebound to "average" that is all they really are.

You draft an OT for competition and depth and hope they take one of their jobs and you can move on in 2021.

Good chance the Bears are not drafting any guaranteed starters in 2020. Really the best we can hope for is a ton of competition and options at positions that were weak this year.

They can take a mid round pick on a OT but that about it. Pace and Nagy will be focused on 'win now' off season and backup OT's don't fit that picture as far as a major free agent or draft pick investments.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
They can take a mid round pick on a OT but that about it. Pace and Nagy will be focused on 'win now' off season and backup OT's don't fit that picture as far as a major free agent or draft pick investments.

Who says they backup?

Make a good pick and the player probably starts, he isn't beating out much.

What position in the 2nd round comes in and starts week 1?

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Who says they backup?

Guard, maybe SS or ILB.

kg1187

Liked Posts:
Who says they backup?

Depdending on who they cut and sign TE, RG, and slot WR are much more likely to start than any OT they draft in the 2nd round.

Plus drafting a OT early means Pace has to admit the Massie and Leno deals he struck last year were mistakes.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I am wondering how people see this offensive personnel getting improved to ensure that Trubisky or the next QB is successful.

TE

I say sign a veteran like Austin Hooper. TE takes a long time to develop and the draft is pretty weak right now in terms of talent outside of Bryce Hopkins who may go well before the 50s.

I think Horsted and Holtz have value, but the Bears need a primary Y TE that can at least pretend to fill the Kelce role.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/tight-end/

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/joe-marino-s-2020-nfl-draft-tight-end-rankings

OT

The Bears have gotten incredibly mediocre results from their OTs. Cornelius Lucas has come off the scrap heap to be their most consistent player at the position and he should be retained as the swing OT at minimum.

The free agent options are older and more expensive.

I think the Bears should look at OT in the 2nd round where they could get a young, athletic player that can push Massie and Leno. They might not replace them in camp 2020, but they can replace them long term when they are ready. This is also the most cost effective.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/tackle/

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/joe-marino-s-2020-nfl-draft-offensive-tackle-rankings

OG

I am intrigued by Bars and Coward. I think Daniels has settled back in to LG.

I would like to see the Bears add an OG at some point, but I do not think they need to spend money at the position unless they want to lane a whale like Brandon Scherff. I would look in day 3 of the draft and add another big body to the mix at RG.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/guard/

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/joe-marino-s-2020-nfl-draft-interior-offensive-line-rankings

I am wondering how people see this offensive personnel getting improved to ensure that Trubisky or the next QB is successful.

I think we need to push Mitch to get better thru some type of competition . This Qb position has to be a strength.
I firmly believe once the Qb position is solidified all the "O" positions will fall in place.

I don't have a problem with your OG, OT, and TE suggestions. I wouldn't mind us going with more of a 4wr set under center to help the OL. I know that's not gonna happen. But I think we do need help at wr.....seeing that Robinson is the only wr of note.

Here's some wr possibilities:

Jalen Reagor*, WR, TCU
Height: 5-11. Weight: 195.
Projected 40 Time: 4.35.
Projected Round (2020): 1-2. I like speed for us

Henry Ruggs III*, WR, Alabama
Height: 6-0. Weight: 190.
Projected 40 Time: 4.40.
Projected Round (2020): 1-3.

K.J. Hill, WR, Ohio State
Height: 6-0. Weight: 200.
Projected 40 Time: 4.42.
Projected Round (2020): 3-5.

DeVonta Smith*, WR, Alabama
Height: 6-1. Weight: 175.
Projected 40 Time: 4.45.
Projected Round (2020): 1-3.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Think point is to relegate one of them to swing tackle/guard. Then come 2021 you can cut one or both of them and add another tackle if you so chose.

OL would look much better if one of them was depth rather than both being starters. Massie also probably better at G at this point as he struggles a fuck ton in space and with speed.

kg1187

Liked Posts:
It only makes sense to make a big investment at OT if you move one of Massie/Leno to RG. They can’t afford a back up o-line man making around 10 million next season. Spending a 2nd for a backup OT also doesn’t seem wise with Pace and Nagy fighting for their jobs next season.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It only makes sense to make a big investment at OT if you move one of Massie/Leno to RG. They can’t afford a back up o-line man making around 10 million next season. Spending a 2nd for a backup OT also doesn’t seem wise with Pace and Nagy fighting for their jobs next season.

Lol Long was a bakup OL making 8 million amd he will be gone. You can carry one for a year. Drop Floyd and you already have the bulk of the money to pay for one.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Guard, maybe SS or ILB.

SS would be a waste, just re-sign Bush.

ILB they will re-sign a couple guys and that is one of the deepest positions on the team.

RG would be the one obvious one. I agree on TE but the draft class is so weak at TE.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
SS would be a waste, just re-sign Bush.

ILB they will re-sign a couple guys and that is one of the deepest positions on the team.

RG would be the one obvious one. I agree on TE but the draft class is so weak at TE.
What makes you think Bush is good? He's a good #3 safety. It's also usually a cheap position.

I agree with ILB, but I also think there are often instant impact ILBs to be had in the second round.

Personally I'd resign Kwiat and KPL and look for an SS in free agency.

Tight End is just weak everywhere, in FA and the draft.

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
Think point is to relegate one of them to swing tackle/guard. Then come 2021 you can cut one or both of them and add another tackle if you so chose.

OL would look much better if one of them was depth rather than both being starters. Massie also probably better at G at this point as he struggles a fuck ton in space and with speed.
I was wondering if we could try massie at RG, move leno to RT and then get a big boy LT

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
So you don’t think addressing the teams biggest weakness would be wise for two guys you believe will be fighting for their jobs?

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'd be shocked if the Bears invest much outside of draft picks on the Oline. They have money tied up in Leno, Whitehair and Massie.

They may pick up up a backup at guard or cut and resign Long for cheap and roll with what they have while trying to pick up a backup or two in FA or draft.