The 2020 Personnel Discussion: Offense

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I am wondering how people see this offensive personnel getting improved to ensure that Trubisky or the next QB is successful.

TE

I say sign a veteran like Austin Hooper. TE takes a long time to develop and the draft is pretty weak right now in terms of talent outside of Bryce Hopkins who may go well before the 50s.

I think Horsted and Holtz have value, but the Bears need a primary Y TE that can at least pretend to fill the Kelce role.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/tight-end/

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/joe-marino-s-2020-nfl-draft-tight-end-rankings

OT

The Bears have gotten incredibly mediocre results from their OTs. Cornelius Lucas has come off the scrap heap to be their most consistent player at the position and he should be retained as the swing OT at minimum.

The free agent options are older and more expensive.

I think the Bears should look at OT in the 2nd round where they could get a young, athletic player that can push Massie and Leno. They might not replace them in camp 2020, but they can replace them long term when they are ready. This is also the most cost effective.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/tackle/

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/joe-marino-s-2020-nfl-draft-offensive-tackle-rankings

OG

I am intrigued by Bars and Coward. I think Daniels has settled back in to LG.

I would like to see the Bears add an OG at some point, but I do not think they need to spend money at the position unless they want to lane a whale like Brandon Scherff. I would look in day 3 of the draft and add another big body to the mix at RG.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/guard/

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/joe-marino-s-2020-nfl-draft-interior-offensive-line-rankings

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I agree with the first two for sure. Go after a TE in FA, and use our first pick on a tackle.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Hunter Henry is another interesting TE. Although he’s been injury plagued, so with people thinking Pace should have been able to predict Burton getting injured, pace may look to avoid that situation.

The only interesting FA T’s have been injury prone with Peters and Bulaga. Maybe Conklin? I see jmarcus Webb and Jordan mills are available. Redskins have to do some with Trent Williams at some point

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
i dont see pace getting hooper, he is going to want a sizable deal and i dont see pace paying...ebron could be a nice stop gap...henry would be great but i doubt the chargers let him get away.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
Bud dupree would be a great addition. Give him that Floyd money. Draft corner and OT. First two rounds my 3rd choice would probably be between safety and WR.

I think we stick with our TE group and sign a blocking TE to replace shaheen. I just saw that burton was the best run blocking TE last season....

Last edited:

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Ebron, Horsted, Burton, Holtz

It’s not sexy but I think it could be effective enough with better OL and QB play.

TishLover

Liked Posts:
Little disappointed with Javon Wims . Should of caught one of those at the end zone.
Am I a meatball fan?

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
Part of me really wants to go

2[50] OT
2[55] OG

Just double tap the OL and make it a power unit.

That leaves us pretty thin at CB with Tolliver vs a late 4th.

Every part of me wants to double up on OL. We, at a minimum, need to go 2 [50] OT.

In an ideal world, I'd pick up Hooper and Scherff/Thuney in FA and go...

2 [50] OT
2 [55] CB

But that may be a bit of a pipe dream.

I have zero interest in Pace picking up a TE in the 2nd round for obvious reasons.

Matt Miller is really high on the WR class so it would not shock me if one of those 2nd rounders turns into a trade down and WR. While it's not a priority for us, this is right in Pace's wheelhouse.

Just no trade ups with conviction please.

Luke

Liked Posts:

2[50] OT
2[55] OG

and what if they cant agree to a lesser contract with gumby then olb comes into the mix. btw looks like a burton release will save 2.75mil with a post 6/1 cut.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:

2[50] OT
2[55] OG

TE -- There are some nice FA TEs, and with Holtz, Holstead and Burton, I think picking up a good vet means we have depth and wouldn't need to draft high on a TE.

OL -- I like taking both an OT and OG in 2nd. Or maybe even 2 OTs.

Whitehair and Daniels seem to be holding their own and looking up. Coward seems either be a backup and needs quite a bit development still. Leno has played awful for stretches and needs a very serious contender to his spot -- which a 2nd Rd OT would be perfect for. Massie has only been a bit more consistent than Leno, but still avg and is not going to trend up at this point. Lucas seems a like a solid backup, but not particularly a starter. With OGs like Bars and Larson, high draft upgrades to Leno and Massie seems more important, assuming there's 2 excellent OT players in the 2nd.

CB -- I think we need to hold on to Prince 1 more year -- finish his contract at 9mil, at least. Maybe even sign him to a more Bears friendly short ext (through 2021). We need more breathing room time. Maybe draft a CB in the 3rd/4th, continue to develop Tolliver, Joseph and Denmark. Toliver wasn't challenged a lot by Dallas, but he certainly was beat, while it was hard to determine just how much help the D was giving him.

Last edited:

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I think someone like Jack Doyle is more realistic at TE. Agree on OT, it's a perfect year to draft someone in round 2 and they compete to take a starting spot. Then you can cut either Massie or Leno or both after 2020. I would love to see them get Scherff and if not make Mike Schofield from LAC, who has been good when I've watched him this year.

I think they will use a 5th or so to target an RB as well. They need someone who can step in for a couple series or potentially carry the load if Monty gets hurt.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
I like the idea of going for Hooper, and Scherff. Draft OT&CB with the 2nds. Sign Case Keenum for 2 years $10-12m to replace Daniel as an actually competent backup and push Mitch. Case isn't as good as Bridgewater, and maybe not as good as Foles or Dalton or Tannehill. But at some point I think the difference between the C and C+ QBs is less than the difference between Burton and Hooper, or Coward and Scherff.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
I think someone like Jack Doyle is more realistic at TE. Agree on OT, it's a perfect year to draft someone in round 2 and they compete to take a starting spot. Then you can cut either Massie or Leno or both after 2020. I would love to see them get Scherff and if not make Mike Schofield from LAC, who has been good when I've watched him this year.

I think they will use a 5th or so to target an RB as well. They need someone who can step in for a couple series or potentially carry the load if Monty gets hurt.
Whyte is the man. Don't need to draft a RB. Better off taking a shot at a CB, OLB, WR, TE, 3rd OL or QB.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
So everyone who is saying draft 2 O players in rd 2 think we're going to re-sign Floyd for a ton?

I think one of those 2nds has to be a pass rusher...

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Whyte is the man. Don't need to draft a RB. Better off taking a shot at a CB, OLB, WR, TE, 3rd OL or QB.

He's not on the team anymore. Also they are going to have something like eight draft picks.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
So everyone who is saying draft 2 O players in rd 2 think we're going to re-sign Floyd for a ton?

I think one of those 2nds has to be a pass rusher...

Yep. OT and OLB in round 2. Tell Floyd hasta la vista.

Ebron/Doyle in free agency. Keep whitehair and Daniels where they are and the offense won’t start the year looking like a pile of dung.