The 2020 Personnel Discussion: Offense

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Shaheen just never passed the eye test. Even when they drafted him, he didn’t look to have the it factor. Terrible pick by Pace.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
doyle was just extended by the colts...first 2nd rd pick should def go towards a tackle and the other 2nd should be BPA...i think bars can be a fine RG with coward and levin competing.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Take two OTs in the 2nd round. You can play them at guard early on to ease them into the NFL if need be.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
I’m not against taking a dlinemen at any point either. San Fran has shown what building in the trenches can do. San Fran’s offense isn’t that talented. Their dline is dominant. They are beating the hell out of teams like GB by dominating the LOS

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am wondering how people see this offensive personnel getting improved to ensure that Trubisky or the next QB is successful.

TE

I say sign a veteran like Austin Hooper. TE takes a long time to develop and the draft is pretty weak right now in terms of talent outside of Bryce Hopkins who may go well before the 50s.

I think Horsted and Holtz have value, but the Bears need a primary Y TE that can at least pretend to fill the Kelce role.
Good post Windy...

Hooper while awesome should prob. be plan B or C IMO. Ultimate win would be for Horsted &/or Holtz to keep kicking ass and fill the void on the cheap. Not much capital avail overall (draft equity is thin & cap not spree-worthy either). Hooper would be luxury only IF OL is solved on the cheap.

Honest Q - Can Hooper block well? Seems he'd be more of an obvious pass thread, while Hortsted & Holtz are unknown sleepers to bust up the seams.

The Bears have gotten incredibly mediocre results from their OTs. Cornelius Lucas has come off the scrap heap to be their most consistent player at the position and he should be retained as the swing OT at minimum.

The free agent options are older and more expensive.

I think the Bears should look at OT in the 2nd round where they could get a young, athletic player that can push Massie and Leno. They might not replace them in camp 2020, but they can replace them long term when they are ready. This is also the most cost effective.

Agreed. I hope & pray that Lucas continues to be at least average serviceable. He was atrociously terrible in preseason vs nobodys & we all lost our shit when he made the roster but Bars did not. Somehow Pace got his cake & ate it too. ?‍♀️ Lucky or well played ~ who knows/cares, but that seems to have been a win. Clearly Massie being out the last two games seems addition by subtraction, as it was with Long.

Leaves us with WTH to do with Leno who fell off a damn cliff and now sucks terribly as the weakest link with high contract? Damn shitty situation!! Hard to say he should be on the field & if coachng him back to form hasn't happened by now?? Hidden injury? - just can't explain his dropoff...esp. with better guys around him now.
Mitch will eventually get hurt due bec of him.
Prob. worth an early draft IF a solid LT prospect is on the board to fill one of the most expensive positions.
IMO, LT is PRIORITY #1!!

I am intrigued by Bars and Coward
. I think Daniels has settled back in to LG.

I would like to see the Bears add an OG at some point, but I do not think they need to spend money at the position unless they want to land a whale like Brandon Scherff. I would look in day 3 of the draft and add another big body to the mix at RG.

Yes, OG seems a bit of a luxury at this point. Behind LT and prob a bit behind TE if not already solved??
Better of Bars/Coward with the "lesser" playing swing is pretty good, assuming they both continue to be serviceable. Also, Daniels & Whitehair can swing if need be, assuming Daniels ups his game at C (he's #2 C regardless tho). OGs are easier to find & hire than good LTs.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Take two OTs in the 2nd round. You can play them at guard early on to ease them into the NFL if need be.

Bradley Sowell might just lose his shit if that happened with even one pickup. #oppositeday

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
The mock offseason decisions change from game to game lol

@te you develop the two kids you got on the roster rather than throw more money at the position

take those cap dollars and extend ar, fill a hole at either mlb or safety, maybe ol if anyone worth a dollar is available

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
I’m not against taking a dlinemen at any point either. San Fran has shown what building in the trenches can do. San Fran’s offense isn’t that talented. Their dline is dominant. They are beating the hell out of teams like GB by dominating the LOS
You do know it consists of 5 top 25 picks ? 3 if them top 10 picks. 2 of them top 3.... I mean at least they aren't the Detroit lions.... Who do almost nothing with the picks.

TezMaKai

Liked Posts:
If Austin Hooper is not a former basketball player, that's just a huge missed opportunity.

KoreanBear

Liked Posts:
Yeah im all for going for the fatboys early too. Gotta build from fatboys out.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
You do know it consists of 5 top 25 picks ? 3 if them top 10 picks. 2 of them top 3.... I mean at least they aren't the Detroit lions.... Who do almost nothing with the picks.
Yeah I realize that they were smart in how they built their team

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Saw PFF’s mock draft and they had something like 6-8 tackles being drafted in round 1. In the event that something like that happens they may not be able to take one in round 2. May have to go OG / edge rusher

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Guess I'll ask again: Why would the Falcons let one of their few bright spots of their awful season go in Hooper?

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
I can see us getting a OT and a S in the second round. Iff ha ha walks safeties that come down hill and hit are important. We got to Dallas's safeties and they looked scared to tackle. Its undervzlued position and wothout alot of sacks or pressure theyve really held their own.

We need safety play to be exceptional if the pash rush continues to fail to get home.

I think you can grab a TE in FA and Hooper would fit the system. But i have faith that horsted and company can fill in nicely.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Drafted TEs just take so long to develop. Even this season Hockeson and Fant offered almost nothing as rookies.
Pace will sign one and draft one per his usual double down on wounds.

However, its embarrassing we didn't see this after last year. Same with swing tackle 3 years ago. Now Pace needs free agency and trades to bail him out again. Meanwhile, no comp picks of note and no full deck of draft picks.

Getting very tired of this young GM who learns by picking up his own droppings from his sieve of an ass. I know a truck stop this fool would be popular at.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Guess I'll ask again: Why would the Falcons let one of their few bright spots of their awful season go in Hooper?
They will likely figure out how to keep him, but they have zero cap space. It’s definitely a possibility he leaves simply because they don’t have the money

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Agree, Windy.

TEs do take a long time to develop, as you said with Hock/Fant. I'd for sure target a FA. Doyle extended three years, so I'd be open to Hooper or Henry, for sure. We don't need an ELITE TE just a GOOD one. Our are mediocre at best, and really, more of a liability right now. I'm done with Shaheen and Burton. I'll let them both go.

OT/OG I like taking one each in the 2nd.

WR I think we have guys that can develop. If Miller can not be an idiot, he can improve to a solid WR2. I also like Wims. ARob is very good. But the drops need to stop. I'm hoping that's just a streak of bad luck for us, and not players that just suck.