The 2020 Personnel Discussion: Offense

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
I would go into the 2nd round targetting

OT, CB, Edge

In that order. We know those positions don’t last. They don’t have the money to replace them in free agency, and they are serious long term needs.

I thought you wanted to stick to offense in FA and the first two rounds of the draft?

CB is something I'd definitely consider but edge would have to be a clear BPA.

If we roll into 2020 with the same personnel on the OL I will lose my mind.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I would put edge above CB simply because we still have Prince for next year. Also doesn’t it make more sense to target guard over tackle? While Leno and Massie haven’t been all that, all we have at RG is Coward and Bars... two PS guys.

The tackles have been worse than Coward.

I think they should double dip on the OL, but they need to replace Massie and Leno long term with better players. Christ Cornelius Lucas fell off the scrap heap and is our best OT right now.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I thought you wanted to stick to offense in FA and the first two rounds of the draft?

CB is something I'd definitely consider but edge would have to be a clear BPA.

If we roll into 2020 with the same personnel on the OL I will lose my mind.

The TE class is so thin that I think you need to hit that in free agency.

On defense they need to replace Prince [2020] and Floyd [2021]. That is why I could see them addressing one of those spots in the 2nd round and getting a legit prospect in there.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
You also need a safety and mlb

develop the two te we have that are showing promise

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think that it is a good thing that the Bears are kind of somewhat at least mathematically still in it, and that they have 3 games coming up that mean a ton to the competition. With the two new tight ends, and fill ins at offensive line, this gives a few games in seeing a bit what these guys have to offer being measured in highly competitive important game.

It certainly seems like, so far, the replacements at tight ends and offensive line are better than the guys that they have replaced.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You also need a safety and mlb

develop the two te we have that are showing promise

They are a nice story, but hardly should be relied upon to be a center piece of the offense.

MLB will be fine, either Kwik or Trevathan will be back.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think that it is a good thing that the Bears are kind of somewhat at least mathematically still in it, and that they have 3 games coming up that mean a ton to the competition. With the two new tight ends, and fill ins at offensive line, this gives a few games in seeing a bit what these guys have to offer being measured in highly competitive important game.

It certainly seems like, so far, the replacements at tight ends and offensive line are better than the guys that they have replaced.

Kwik
KPL
Lucas
Coward

These guys are playing themselves into contracts extensions in the offseason. Modest ones but some guaranteed money for them.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
I would like to see a ss in the second round. Jackson needs to go back to fs where he can make more splash plays. And dix has been good but he will want a lot to sign and he plays where I want Jackson at.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Kwik
KPL
Lucas
Coward

These guys are playing themselves into contracts extensions in the offseason. Modest ones but some guaranteed money for them.

i wouldn’t extend anyone on the oline. They have been terrible all season.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
i wouldn’t extend anyone on the oline. They have been terrible all season.

You are going to have to.

Lucas has been good since entering the line up and Coward has improved throughout the season.

Do not take you anger at the bandits [Massie and Leno] on these guys.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I will be interested to see if they decide this offseason to go all in on the offense not sucking. Or all in on Mitch taking a major step.

If that is the case then maybe we could see the double OL pick in the 2nd round and just commit to the group being a monster.

The teams that have taken big steps this season have been investing major resources on the line.

Ironhead22

Liked Posts:
Two things that made no sense in the off season. Eddie Jackson was an all pro difference maker as a ball hawking center fielder. They sign HA HA and change Eddies role. You see the results. Also last year the OL was decent. So going into a "Super Bowl" year you switch your center and your guard. It didnt work. Why those two things were done is beyond me.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Two things that made no sense in the off season. Eddie Jackson was an all pro difference maker as a ball hawking center fielder. They sign HA HA and change Eddies role. You see the results. Also last year the OL was decent. So going into a "Super Bowl" year you switch your center and your guard. It didnt work. Why those two things were done is beyond me.

I don't think changing Jackson's role was a bad thing. Teams were going to scheme against him all year if he sitting in the deep middle all game. He's becoming a more versatile player and a better tackler. More TFL than his first 2 years combined. Playing more slot coverage than he has (and doing well in coverage). It allowed the Bears to go out and get the best safety they could afford, and will work the same this offseason. If the Bears get a box guy like Amos, Jackson can go back to his FS role. If they go out and get another versatile guy, they can do whatever with Jackson. Safeties need to be somewhat interchangeable, and I think the INTs will come again for Jackson due to him lining up at various positions. He just has to put it all together.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
I would put edge above CB simply because we still have Prince for next year. Also doesn’t it make more sense to target guard over tackle? While Leno and Massie haven’t been all that, all we have at RG is Coward and Bars... two PS guys.
I think we fill one of those needs in FA and or TE. Imo CB is a shit show in FA so is OT.... So drafting those two in the 2nd round would be to our best interest.... Decent amount of edge players in FA.....

I think surprise picks\needs would be WR/dline

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Yes needs factor into it, but you don't just declare 6 months before the draft "we'll use a 2nd on an OT"...specifically for the reasons I've stated.

Actually, Phil Emery disagrees with you. His draft strategy the year Aaron Donald came out was that if the Bears didn’t draft Donald, they would draft DTs in round 2 and 3. They came away with Ferguson and Sutton, and Emery is no longer a GM.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
If the Bears part ways with Floyd and Trevathan (along with the usual names Long, Shaheen etc), would they have enough money to sign Scherf and Hooper? If so, I think I would go big and inject some major life in the offense.

Then ideally go OT and Edge in round 2. Or maybe CB and Edge. Either way, the Bears clearly need answers on the OL and the TE group. Scherf transforms the group, will propel the run game, and Mitch will be comfortable. The offense would finally have the most important piece for the system.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
I don't think the Bears should dump more big money into the TE position. Hopefully the current TEs continue to develop the last 3 weeks. Still need to add a TE, just cannot throw big money at the position.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
If the Bears part ways with Floyd and Trevathan (along with the usual names Long, Shaheen etc), would they have enough money to sign Scherf and Hooper? If so, I think I would go big and inject some major life in the offense.

Then ideally go OT and Edge in round 2. Or maybe CB and Edge. Either way, the Bears clearly need answers on the OL and the TE group. Scherf transforms the group, will propel the run game, and Mitch will be comfortable. The offense would finally have the most important piece for the system.
If Floyd goes anywhere it will most likely be via trade. He is going to be paid very well despite his numbers, just because pass rushers are hard to find and he is very good in coverage as well.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
If Floyd goes anywhere it will most likely be via trade. He is going to be paid very well despite his numbers, just because pass rushers are hard to find and he is very good in coverage as well.

If the Bears could get something of value for Floyd, even better.