The 2020 Personnel Discussion: Offense

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
We both know that when big contracts are involved the best players don't always start.

Either you're taking a backup OT in the second round or you have a swing tackle making 8.5 million next season a team with very little cap space. If you want to make a big investment on the line add a proven RG or draft one in the second round.

That money is guaranteed so it does not matter if Leno or Massie are on the bench or starting.

You really think that an offensive head coach that needs to protect his job and a GM that needs to maximize his QB is going to run it back with the same OL?

No matter who we draft in the 2nd round they are going to be competing. You do not draft to fill starting roles you draft for competition and for the best guys to play.

Coward is having a better year than Leno, so if we draft a 2nd round OG are we sure he starts?

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Don't care. He's a liability. He's a wasted spot. Injury—mental or physical—is keeping him from doing anything worthwhile. I sympathize, as a human being, just don't want him on my team. He is, by fantasy points, the #61 TE in the NFL. He can't be counted on for anything. And a QB without a TE he can trust, get in a rhythm with...will suffer.

He had an injury filled year...it depends if he is healthy or not next year...if he's healthy, he's a full go as starter.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Another argument for investing a 2nd round pick at OT is what happens if Chuck Leno gets hurt?

what if there are only 3rd or 4th round graded tackles remaining at that point?....do still reach for an OT then?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
We both know that when big contracts are involved the best players don't always start.

Either you're taking a backup OT in the second round or you have a swing tackle making 8.5 million next season a team with very little cap space. If you want to make a big investment on the line add a proven RG or draft one in the second round.

We can create about 57 million in capnspace. Money is no excuse. You worry about what you imagine Pace and Nagy will do and their egos regarding Leno and Massie.

At the end of the day what does this team need to get better is all I care about. With 56 million we need to sign a legit tackle in my opinion. Move Massie to RG, put him on the bench I dont give a shit. This team should not go into next season with Leno and Massie at T.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
With the amount of shit he took this season I doubt that is the case.

Leno and Massie were not good enough this season, I would expect that he is not going to put his job in their hands again.

I think you will be surprised that they will most likely start

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If I remember right, when New England came after Bars this year, they guaranteed him a spot on the roster, and the Bears gave him a raise and he agreed to stay. My guess is that Bars was also told something by Bears management to keep him here as well. I believe that he is a strong factor in the Bears plan for next year.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
If I remember right, when New England came after Bars this year, they guaranteed him a spot on the roster, and the Bears gave him a raise and he agreed to stay. My guess is that Bars was also told something by Bears management to keep him here as well. I believe that he is a strong factor in the Bears plan for next year.

pretty sure Bars will be competing for a starting spot at G

kg1187

Liked Posts:
We can create about 57 million in capnspace. Money is no excuse. You worry about what you imagine Pace and Nagy will do and their egos regarding Leno and Massie.

At the end of the day what does this team need to get better is all I care about. With 56 million we need to sign a legit tackle in my opinion. Move Massie to RG, put him on the bench I dont give a shit. This team should not go into next season with Leno and Massie at T.

Where are you getting 56 million in cap space from? Even if you count carryover while cutting Price, Long, Patterson, Gabriel Shaheen thats sill only about 42 million. This is without extension's factored in as well.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Where are you getting 56 million in cap space from? Even if you count carryover while cutting Price, Long, Patterson, Gabriel Shaheen thats sill only about 42 million. This is without extension's factored in as well.
Getting rid of Floyd.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Said earlier in the thread. Also getting rid of Floyd and Braun. And I am not extending anyone. Extensions should be earned. No one earned it this year as we on outside looking in playoff wise. Need to stop rewarding mediocrity.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Said earlier in the thread. Also getting rid of Floyd and Braun. And I am not extending anyone. Extensions should be earned. No one earned it this year as we on outside looking in playoff wise. Need to stop rewarding mediocrity.

If you have an individual player that performs, you don't punish him because the team didn't make the playoffs.

Arob is not mediocre.

kg1187

Liked Posts:

So you have the Bears cutting or letting go their starting S, CB2, ILB, OLB, slot WR, RG plus a high-end backup ILB. LOL good luck actually improving the team with the holes you just blew open on the roster.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If you have an individual player that performs, you don't punish him because the team didn't make the playoffs.

Arob is not mediocre.

ARob is under contract. He has no right to be extended earlier. Was Fuller punished because he was required to play out his contract?

Mediocrity was in reference to the team as a whole.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think you will be surprised that they will most likely start

They might, but not without some competition.

2021 neither will be on the team, we need to prep for that as well.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
ARob is under contract. He has no right to be extended earlier. Was Fuller punished because he was required to play out his contract?

Mediocrity was in reference to the team as a whole.

What does the bolded mean?

It is an option if the Bears and Arob come to an agreement....

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
pretty sure Bars will be competing for a starting spot at G

Bars vs Coward vs a Mid Round Pick

Whoever is starting at RG will have earned it.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Extending players early is always beneficial to the cap. The open market can throw everything out of wack.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
On defense I think bears should get Tre Boston for safety, he’s a cheap and solid option that seems to be overlooked every year. Resign KPL and either Kwiatkoski or Trevathan. Go after Griffin and if they can’t make that work, then maybe Mercilus. And upgrade Amukamara for a year or two of Talib. Talib could be had short term because of injury and age and may be cheaper because of age. If he comes in healthy he is a shutdown corner opposite of Fuller. The secondary and pass rush would be strong.

Offense sign a TE such as Ebron or Vernon Davis. They’d be cheaper options that are still solid receivers in case Burton flops again next year. Then you still have Holtz and Horsted behind them. Grab a speed receiver like Marvin Hall to give you a deep threat.

Draft OT and DL in the second round. Someone to compete with Leno/Massie. DL could give us another run stuffer, eating blocks while griffen and Mack are getting after the qb. It would give us more depth too. I like Williams, RRH and Nichols, but also think depth or level of talent was exposed a bit without Hicks. I believe we have two 4ths I’d go OG and either CB or WR. 5th maybe look for RB depth. 6th maybe P or K

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
So you have the Bears cutting or letting go their starting S, CB2, ILB, OLB, slot WR, RG plus a high-end backup ILB. LOL good luck actually improving the team with the holes you just blew open on the roster.

Prince is not 8 million dollars better than Tolliver. Resigning Kwia and Louis and letting DT walk is not a huge drop off. Floyd is garbage at 13.5 million.

Gabs hasnt played for most of the year and should have been replaced by Wims and by giving Cohen more reps at WR. Long at RG has barely played so the hole was already there.

You are overstating the value of these guys. 56 milliom and the draft is more than enough to file these alleged holes many of which were already holes because those guys were injured or useless anyways.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

You claimed I was punishing him. It is not punishment for a guy to fulfill the contract he signed. See Fuller.