The 2020 Senior Bowl Discussion

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
The South was leading 7-0 when he left the game at the end of the first quarter, after he completed 75% of his passes, 1TD no interceptions.

Ok....no problem. But Herbert did come back in the game...right? If u can find the official box score please share it. I've looked all over for it. I'd like to analyze it. I get it...Herbert escaped without a int. that's great.

But the South OL & OT's were problematic for the offense and impacted the final score.

I was trying to convince you that Hurts looked bad all week because he did.

Click the link below
Jalen Hurts impresses during Senior Bowl week - Montgomery

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Ok....no problem. But Herbert did come back in the game...right? If u can find the official boc score please share it. I've looked all over for it. I'd like to analyze it. I get it...Herbert escaped without a int. that's great.

But the South OL & OT's were problematic for the offense and impacted the final score.

Click the link below
Jalen Hurts impresses during Senior Bowl week - Montgomery

No, Herbert didn't come back in the game. The OL was bad, but so was Hurts.

That article is a feel good piece, not an evaluation. Even in this feel good piece we really only see him improving from a terrible Tuesday.

I think Hurts is an interesting development piece, seems like a good young man, obviously can make plays with his feet and strong arm. But every evaluator I read gave the same criticism that I've always seen when watching him play: doesn't see the field well, gets stuck on first read, takes sacks he shouldn't. That is tough to overcome. Saw it all night against LSU when his receivers weren't open by 8 yards on shallow crosses against a soft, outmanned BIg12 zone.

Still worth a third or fourth rounder though based on what he can do and the (small imo) chance that he will greatly improve from the pocket.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
We need OL we can trust now. You see how long it is taking Daniels to get his shit together.

I’d be ecstatic if we could sign Glasgow or Thuney in FA. I was talking more about OT. Conklin may hit the market, but may be cost-prohibitive. This seems to be a pretty deep draft for OTs.

Ive been on the Jalen Reagor or KJ Hamler bandwagon for awhile now if either are available in the 2nd.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
No, Herbert didn't come back in the game. The OL was bad, but so was Hurts.

That article is a feel good piece, not an evaluation. Even in this feel good piece we really only see him improving from a terrible Tuesday.

I think Hurts is an interesting development piece, seems like a good young man, obviously can make plays with his feet and strong arm. But every evaluator I read gave the same criticism that I've always seen when watching him play: doesn't see the field well, gets stuck on first read, takes sacks he shouldn't. That is tough to overcome. Saw it all night against LSU when his receivers weren't open by 8 yards on shallow crosses against a soft, outmanned BIg12 zone.

Still worth a third or fourth rounder though based on what he can do and the (small imo) chance that he will greatly improve from the pocket.

OK..." feel good piece " they said he improved throughout the week. Anyway, IMO, there's no shame in being drafted in the 3rd round ( see Russell Wilson) or 4th round ( see Dak Prescott). Right?

As for your quote..... " But every evaluator I read gave the same criticism that I've always seen when watching him play: doesn't see the field well, gets stuck on first read, takes sacks he shouldn't."

I've been watching Qb's going back to Warren Moon ( we know how he was "evaluated").......so I don't really take what they say too serious. I watch film, look at the #'s and do my own evaluation.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
OK..." feel good piece " they said he improved throughout the week. Anyway, IMO, there's no shame in being drafted in the 3rd round ( see Russell Wilson) or 4th round ( see Dak Prescott). Right?

As for your quote..... " But every evaluator I read gave the same criticism that I've always seen when watching him play: doesn't see the field well, gets stuck on first read, takes sacks he shouldn't."

I've been watching Qb's going back to Warren Moon ( we know how he was "evaluated").......so I don't really take what they say too serious. I watch film, look at the #'s and do my own evaluation.
One line from a USA Today guy and a few quotes from his former teammate.

There is no shame in being drafted there, of course, but shame is not the question. QBs drafted there rarely have sustained success. That's the problem.

I gave you my opinion of Hurts, it's been the same since I began watching him play.

Visionman

Liked Posts:

The Senior Bowl is much more about the practice week for eval than the actual game, anyway. Especially for the QBs...

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
One line from a USA Today guy and a few quotes from his former teammate.

There is no shame in being drafted there, of course, but shame is not the question. QBs drafted there rarely have sustained success. That's the problem.

I gave you my opinion of Hurts, it's been the same since I began watching him play.

That's fine. I can give you a list of Qb's who have had success as 3rd & 4th draft picks ( heck look at Mitch a 1st rounder).
I see no reason why Hurts, like some of these other guys.....can't eventually step in and make NFL impact.
NFL Qb development depends on where they land and or who's coaching them.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
The Senior Bowl is much more about the practice week for eval than the actual game, anyway. Especially for the QBs...

I hear ya.

I just think it's problematic when someone looks at a couple games and disregards a Qb's career #'s. I'm sure u know where I'm coming from. BTW....thanks again for bringing some players to my attention through your evaluations.(y)

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
When and where is the game?
The 2020 Hula Bowl will take place at Aloha Stadium in Honolulu, Hawai'i, on Sunday, January 26.
Kickoff is scheduled for 10:30 p.m. ET/7:30 p.m. PT/5:30 p.m. HT. The pregame show will begin 30 minutes prior to kickoff.
TV coverage
The game will be broadcast nationally on the CBS Sports Network.
-----------

Is anyone watching this?

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Moon was evaluated as black and god discriminated against. Loved watching him throw the ball in the NFL once he finally got a shot. That's not what happened to your other examples where one was small and another that had some crap floating around him so don't get the correlation. We can use white guys like Garoppolo and Brady here as well. Heck, Romo, Warner and Keenum weren't even drafted. Flutie got drafted in the 11th round, LOL. Your civil lesson schtick is getting old and is no longer a meaningful part of drafting. Here's where you say, I'm not saying, I'm just saying.

Last edited:

dennehy

Liked Posts:
That's fine. I can give you a list of Qb's who have had success as 3rd & 4th draft picks ( heck look at Mitch a 1st rounder).
I see no reason why Hurts, like some of these other guys.....can't eventually step in and make NFL impact.
NFL Qb development depends on where they land and or who's coaching them.

I can give you a much, much longer list of QBs drafted there who failed. I think there were six or seven opening day starting QBs (Brisett only because of Luck's surprise retirement) who weren't first or second round picks. The odds are just much lower. And QBs are often overdrafted because their position is so important.

But yes, there will be some. If they trade and get a late 3rd for example and Hurts is there I'm fine with that. But his game has big holes in it, holes that usually don't get filled in the NFL.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I personally don't like Hurts but that doesn't mean he can't prove me wrong. Let's just keep this about the player and less of a civil rights lesson on a football forum.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I’d be ecstatic if we could sign Glasgow or Thuney in FA. I was talking more about OT. Conklin may hit the market, but may be cost-prohibitive. This seems to be a pretty deep draft for OTs.

Ive been on the Jalen Reagor or KJ Hamler bandwagon for awhile now if either are available in the 2nd.

The thing about Hamler is he's LISTED at 5'9", 176 lbs. I'm guessing he's probably a little smaller than that. Gabriel is 5'7", 168. They are different types of players, but I think Hamler would have the same issues as Gabriel as far as being able to capitalize on their speed deep goes.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I seriously doubt BPA at one or both of our picks is not going to be WR.

Our biggest need at OL should be addressed in FA as Windy noted.

The Pace being fired thing was hyperbole but your head is too far up his ass to not be able to take a joke about your lord and savior.

I thought you said Pace doesn't go BPA in the draft? Hmmmmmm

I've also said multiple times that Pace should fill the RG spot in free agency over the draft cause we need someone that we know can play in the NFL to take over that spot.

All hail Ryan Pace.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Post of the year nominee

So now you're good with us going WR in the draft? Just asking cause a day or two ago you were replying to my posts of us needing a speed WR and saying we didn't need to use any of our top picks on one and can find one late in the draft or in UDFA.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So now you're good with us going WR in the draft? Just asking cause a day or two ago you were replying to my posts of us needing a speed WR and saying we didn't need to use any of our top picks on one and can find one late in the draft or in UDFA.

I'm still a BPA guy so you helped turn me. If thats where the value is I'd not ignore it, and use FA to address some other holes.

BPA guys don't trade up every pick though, so not sure Pace can handle this mission.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I can give you a much, much longer list of QBs drafted there who failed. I think there were six or seven opening day starting QBs (Brisett only because of Luck's surprise retirement) who weren't first or second round picks. The odds are just much lower. And QBs are often overdrafted because their position is so important.

But yes, there will be some. If they trade and get a late 3rd for example and Hurts is there I'm fine with that. But his game has big holes in it, holes that usually don't get filled in the NFL.

keep in mind what you're saying about "holes that usually don't get filled in the NFL".......is what some ppl, here are saying about Mitch.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
keep in mind what you're saying about "holes that usually don't get filled in the NFL".......is what some ppl, here are saying about Mitch.

Why would I keep that in mind?

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears

Why would I keep that in mind?

U mentioned earlier how Qb's drafted 3rd or 4th don't typically pan out. Mitch was a 1st rounder and ppl. here question if he's panning out