The 4th Running Back

jive

Liked Posts:
Montgomery, Davis, and Cohen look like locks to make the roster. That leaves Whyte, Nall, and Caldwell for the 4 RB slot, if there is one. There could be a 7th WR, or some other position addressed that will leave only 3 RBs on the roster. But, if there is a 4th RB, what role would it be and who would fill it?

Right now the projections look like this.
Montgomery - Primary ball carrier
Cohen - Movable chess piece to exploit mismatches
Davis - Backup with time share potential

So what would the role of the 4th RB be?
It could be a backup for Cohen, and Whyte looks like the obvious candidate. In the same way that Sproles and Bush moved around for Sean Payton in NO, Cohen will be exploiting mismatches. The role is important to this offense, so a capable backup is required. But, that backup may also be on the roster, but a different position. Cordarelle Patterson isn't a human joystick like Cohen, but he has speed and is dangerous in space. He can certainly run jet sweeps and screens, as well as motion out wide or to the slot like Cohen. He can also run it up the middle as well. In similar fashion to NE, he can serve as the 4th RB. But in terms of developmental prospects, Whyte looks worthy of making the position due to his explosiveness.

Another role could be a short yardage, power back. Ideally someone who can play the role of FB, or even line up as an H-Back.
Obviously Cohen can't fill that role. Although Montgomery and Davis display some power, I don't see them as move the pile type of running backs. Ryan Nall is the obvious candidate, and he's ahead of Whyte on the depth chart. Supposedly he could play H-back or fullback, but I don't see him utilized in that role very much. I think the coaching staff sees his limitations, and won't put him there in spite of the lack of depth at TE. It would be nice if he could, since it would open up a roster spot. Caldwell is a longshot, IMO. He's slow, but runs with power and a low center of gravity. Supposedly, he can catch the ball as well. He has 2 weeks to show that he belongs.

I still think it's going to be Whyte. He has the most upside, and best fit with what this offense is trying to do. Nall and Caldwell will be fighting for a spot on the practice squad.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
The role is most likely to be....

Inactive on game days.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Nall has legitimate special teams value that Whyte hasn’t shown, and Whyte hasn’t shown much at the RB position. I’m gonna say that if they do keep 4, the fourth will be Nall.

BearClaw55

SELL THE TEAM
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nall has legitimate special teams value that Whyte hasn’t shown, and Whyte hasn’t shown much at the RB position. I’m gonna say that if they do keep 4, the fourth will be Nall.

Lol did you not see Whyte return that kickoff for a TD?

Nall will be cut...

baredown

Liked Posts:
- Whyte is a draft choice. Pace's tendency is to hang on to his draft choices, not expose them to waivers. I believe Braverman has been the only exception to that during Pace's tenure.

- Nall got waived last year and spent the whole season on the PS, without getting poached. Not sure what's changed in his perceived value across the league to feel that the Bears can't do the same thing with him this year.

- People forget Mizzell played RB in meaningful downs last year, particularly on 3rd-and-medium situations. Nagy wanted a fast back complement to Cohen in those situations. Unfortunately, Mizzell was not a very good between-the-tackles runner. Whyte is very fast and was an effective between-the-tackles runner at FAU. He was likely drafted to do what Mizzell couldn't do last year. I'd bet he'll be on the 53 and he'll be active...

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
- Whyte is a draft choice. Pace's tendency is to hang on to his draft choices, not expose them to waivers. I believe Braverman has been the only exception to that during Pace's tenure.

- Nall got waived last year and spent the whole season on the PS, without getting poached. Not sure what's changed in his perceived value across the league to feel that the Bears can't do the same thing with him this year.

- People forget Mizzell played RB in meaningful downs last year, particularly on 3rd-and-medium situations. Nagy wanted a fast back complement to Cohen in those situations. Unfortunately, Mizzell was not a very good between-the-tackles runner. Whyte is very fast and was an effective between-the-tackles runner at FAU. He was likely drafted to do what Mizzell couldn't do last year. I'd bet he'll be on the 53 and he'll be active...
I agree, there is only 1 Cohen but Davis, Montgomery and Patterson can all run with some power. So you need another player to spell or backup Cohen

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
unless whyte is an absolute trainwreck in the next 2 games he will be the 4th rb...
nall has not shown anything significant from year 1 to year 2.

Reactions: DC

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Trubisky is the RB4.

Whyte has like a half yard per carry.

Nall is white.

I have no use for either of them.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
I could be wrong, but man, I don’t see Whyte making the active roster. He just hasn’t shown me anything at his position. And if you’re not showing anything at your position, you have to at least be a special teams asset. He’s not.

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
The role is most likely to be....

Inactive on game days.
Funny, I’ve seen maybe 7 plays from Montgomery against nobodies and he is the new starting running back for the Chicago Bears?

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Funny, I’ve seen maybe 7 plays from Montgomery against nobodies and he is the new starting running back for the Chicago Bears?
I don't know if he's the starter yet or not, but he's one of the top 3...

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Whyte is a guy you can sneak through waivers but he's shown me more shake and vision than I thought he had. I don't think NFL teams will be lining up to sign a college backup to another back taken in round 3.

Bearfanuk

Liked Posts:
I think in these last two pre season games we will see more of Whyte and we will start to see more of what he can do.

Going from previous game tape (college more then anything) I'd feel more comfortable should Cohen go down with Whyte coming in over Nall and especially Mizzell

E.F.Hutton

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Montgomery, Davis, and Cohen look like locks to make the roster. That leaves Whyte, Nall, and Caldwell for the 4 RB slot, if there is one. There could be a 7th WR, or some other position addressed that will leave only 3 RBs on the roster. But, if there is a 4th RB, what role would it be and who would fill it?

I still think it's going to be Whyte. He has the most upside, and best fit with what this offense is trying to do. Nall and Caldwell will be fighting for a spot on the practice squad.

My primary vote is for none of the above. The odds are much better that Nagy keeps an extra WR or TE as running is no longer a primary focus for the Bears.

But if I had to choose between Nall and Whyte I would go with Whyte as he fits the system so much better. Nall in some ways is a less talented Howard and we all know how that worked out.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
No more Tylers at camp, it's a waste of time. Who was it before, sanzenbacher and Braverman? And there was another RB I'm pretty sure which is just pointless. Stop it.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
I could be wrong, but man, I don’t see Whyte making the active roster. He just hasn’t shown me anything at his position. And if you’re not showing anything at your position, you have to at least be a special teams asset. He’s not.
Your love for Nall has blinded you to Whyte's preseason and talent. He's a good KR... he has the N/S speed with some shake -- that's what gets it done in the NFL, and he has good power for an elite speed RB. He ran some good runs Game 2 too. He can also do it all, catch and block. He might even be a good ST Gunner.

If one of the 32 teams has an injury at RB, they will swipe Whyte. I guarantee you Whyte makes the 53.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Your love for Nall has blinded you to Whyte's preseason and talent. He's a good KR... he has the N/S speed with some shake -- that's what gets it done in the NFL, and he has good power for an elite speed RB. He ran some good runs Game 2 too. He can also do it all, catch and block. He might even be a good ST Gunner.

If one of the 32 teams has an injury at RB, they will swipe Whyte. I guarantee you Whyte makes the 53.

I have no love for Nall. I’m not one of those guys. Just my honest evaluation of what kind of value the Bears are looking for out of their #4 RB. I tend to think the value they’re looking for doesn’t favor Whyte. And he’s not going to be a returner, so him flashing at KR in a preseason game doesn’t mean much to me. Maybe Pace is different, though.

It’s possible neither one makes the 53, but I’m especially skeptical of Whyte. But again, you could be absolutely right and I could be absolutely wrong. Either way, that’s fine.

napo55

Liked Posts:
My primary vote is for none of the above. The odds are much better that Nagy keeps an extra WR or TE as running is no longer a primary focus for the Bears.

But if I had to choose between Nall and Whyte I would go with Whyte as he fits the system so much better. Nall in some ways is a less talented Howard and we all know how that worked out.

Except Nall is a very good receiving back, which you couldn't say about Howard.