The Bears and their Love of rookie Coaches

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
ESPN just reported that in the history of the Chicago Bears, they have never hired a coach that was previously a HC in the NFL

Why?

Their current motto isn't working well

Scoot26

Administrator
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
ESPN just reported that in the history of the Chicago Bears, they have never hired a coach that was previously a HC in the NFL

Why?

My main guess would be the pay.

The other guess is that hiring a former HC does nothing to guarantee you success any more than a rookie HC.

How many former HC's have failed elsewhere?

Bergz22

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Why?

That's why hopefully things are changing now

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If you're not a rookie, you either got canned or didn't want to do it anymore. I don't care where the hire comes from. Just that it works out. Ditka was an assistant and so was Lovie. Guys aren't born HCs.

tgmxd

Liked Posts:
Strange, but before everybody jumps on the bandwagon of a head coach with experience just remember that no NFL head coach has ever won a Superbowl with two different teams.

Can it happen? Belicheck and Coughlin are probably the two best examples of recent guys who had previous failures as a head coach and went on to be successful.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
There is nothing wrong with going for the HR, just found it awfully strange that such an old franchise has never hired an old HC

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Strange, but before everybody jumps on the bandwagon of a head coach with experience just remember that no NFL head coach has ever won a Superbowl with two different teams.

Sure, but also since the 2000s HCs in their 2nd HC job are more likely to win super bowls. That list includes: Belicheck, Coughlin, Dungy, Gruden, and Carroll. You can actually count more a bit before that with Shanny/Vermeil as well counting as that. Of course still some 1st year Hcs still have won like Tomlin, McCarthy, Payton and John Harbaugh.

I'd say the hires of the 80s-90s era it wasn't anything that wasn't seemingly likely to reach success, so why not have done it.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bears also never give the quick hook to a HC, they are cheapskates, and will never move Philips aside....

Can we please put all past assumptions to rest and trust ownership now?

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
As much as it sucks, I'd bet there are quite a few NFL teams that are also in the same boat. To be fair, the model for many teams really hasn't been to hire prior HC.

Many teams hire retreads which wind up sucking (think Shannahan and Gibbs 2.0 in Wash).

There's not magic bullet. Some retreads do well, some don't. Fox is doing well, but he has #18. Carroll is doing well, but he got a team loaded with talent and lucked into a 3rd QB who is playing great. Belicheck is a retread and might be one of the greatest ever. Doesn't hurt that he has arguably the greatest QB to lace them up his entire tenure there.

Caldwell is a retread and can thank Schwartz for that team. He'll be one and done in the playoffs. Reid is a retread and is out (he inherited a team with what, 9 pro-bowlers?).

Fisher is a retread and his entire career is mediocre

Coughlin is a retread and has won 2 SBs, but he's also 'fired' every season. Bizarre.

Lovie is a retread and has the worst team in the NFL.

Wisenhunt is a retread and has the second worst team in the NFL.

There are 12 teams in the playoffs. Only 4 of those teams feature a team with the former HC at the helm - and one of those is Belicheck.

While I do think it's time to change the game, hiring a retread appears to have about the same success as hiring a hot shit coordinator.

Bort

Liked Posts:
Retread HCs often do well. Tom Coughlin, John Fox, Bill Belichick, and Pete Carroll are a few examples off the top of my head.

Relatedly, I think Bill Cowher would be a great hire. He put a consistently good product on the field without ever having a franchise quarterback. 149–99–1 over 14 years is consistent quality, especially considering that a lot of those years were with guys like Kordell Stewart and Mike Tomczac, as his QBs.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

Why?

If they did, you'd bitch that they hired a retread.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Retread HCs often do well. Tom Coughlin, John Fox, Bill Belichick, and Pete Carroll are a few examples off the top of my head.

Relatedly, I think Bill Cowher would be a great hire. He put a consistently good product on the field without ever having a franchise quarterback. 149–99–1 over 14 years is consistent quality, especially considering that a lot of those years were with guys like Kordell Stewart and Mike Tomczac, as his QBs.

But Cowher was a rookie HC when Pittsburgh hired him.

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:

Frankly, they are the only good examples. And Belicheck really doesn't count because he's been in NE for a millennium. And he has Brady.

Fox is the beneficiary of having Peyton Manning. Carroll has he most talented roster in the league and fell into a great Russell Wilson. Imagine that team with Matt Flynn as the starter as planned.

Coughlin has done well - two SBs - one with a fluke lucky play and great D. Another with great D and Eli playing mistake free football during that run.

Frankly, those are the only retread HC having real success (too early to tell with Caldwell). The common denominator for almost all? GREAT QB play.

Again two of those retread HC who are having success have arguably the two greatest QBs of all time.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Experience in a job COUNTS. It isn't everything but if I have two candidates who are pretty equal in other areas, I would take the guy who has been proved successful in the type of job that I am looking to hire.

Personally I think that the Bear's organization doesn't hire successful head coaches because they are cheap. Unproven guys are not paid as much as proven guys.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Experience in a job COUNTS. It isn't everything but if I have two candidates who are pretty equal in other areas, I would take the guy who has been proved successful in the type of job that I am looking to hire.

Personally I think that the Bear's organization doesn't hire successful head coaches because they are cheap. Unproven guys are not paid as much as proven guys.

Problem is you are rarely faced with that choice in the NFL.

You are faced with 2 guys..... 1 guy is unproven as a HC or GM or w/e but has done relevant jobs..... and 1 guy is a former HC or GM or w/e and has failed somewhere which is why you have the chance to hire him. Those are the only 2 guys you are ever gonna get