The Coffee Thread

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
IMG_1040.jpg

I love coffee!

I started doing my own roasting a couple of years ago in a slightly modified popcorn popper and brewing cups with my aeropress.

I think I had moderate success with popcorn popper, but I think it roasted too hot, too fast. It was a pretty dark roast just after 4 minutes. That wasn't bad, but anything lighter and I tended to get grassy, hay-like, green flavor.

So I finally bought the bullet and got myself a Nesco countertop roaster. I had some beans left over from last time I roasted (more than a year ago!), and they turned out great even after being in garage through winter (in ziplock bags).

I just had my first cup through new roaster & aeropress and it was AWESOME!

Boss says he is getting coffee maker for our department (4 of us + boss).

I am going to supply fresh roasted and fresh ground SUPERB coffee!

(I will likely make my big strong cup in aeropress at home, and take beans and grinder for drip pot at work)

Anyone else roast coffee? Or just plain love coffee? What do you like?

I am a BIG fan of Sumatrans at a dark roast, just into 2nd crack usually.

Right now I have Sumatrans on the way, but I have about a pound and a half of 2 different Kenyans. I roast a bit lighter on the "fruit bomb" Kenyans. But I am anxiously anticipating my Sumatran beans showing up. I love the super intensity of them.

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm a java junkie/coffee achiever. I've been using a french press at home for about a year now. I just got a 12 cup press the other day, so I can make a full pot at a time, not just a few cups.

My favorite is coffee is Cafe Duran. We bring back a bunch everytime we visit Panama and my in-laws always bring me some when they visit. I'll have some whole bean Cafe Duran in a few weeks to try in the french press for the 1st time. They also have a web site you can order it by the pound, but I just can't justify the expense at this point (particularly when you can get it for about 10-20% of that price at just about any Supermarket in Panama). Anticipation is killing me. As far as local stuff here, HEB the local supermarket chain sells a bean called Tanzanian Pea Berry that is out standing and a blend of Panamanian Esmerelda that's pretty good. Also like the Sumatran beans.

What I don't like is flavored fru-fru coffee. Fuck all that snicker doodle, hazel nut, amaretto, irish cream crap marketed to people who can't apprciate the great taste of rich dark liquid gold.

The Count Dante

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite is Hazel Snicker Doodle Irish Creamed Nuts with...

Er...

Black burnt USMC coffee 4 teh win!!11!one!1

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My Sumatran beans arrived today (along with another Kenyan variety).

I just finished roasting some Kenyan beans a bit ago, so I am giving my roaster some time for a good cool down before I take the Sumatrans nice and dark.

I can't say enough how much I love the intensity of Sumatrans.

I have my aeropress method dialed in pretty well to fill my 2010 champs 16oz cup.

Black and strong!

Oh, Winos, I had a French press too until I broke it somehow. Then I got my aeropress. I liked the french press a lot...I could make more coffee with it at once....but I really have to stick by my aeropress. It cost about the same and if I drink more than my pint I get super jittery anyway.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Just finished roasting some Sumatrans.. They look so dark and oily.

I must highly recommend roasting your own, either with actual roaster, or popcorn popper, or dog bowl & heat gun method.

The smell alone is worth it.

Oh so lovely.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I just got a sample pack of this KC coffee that says its air brewed? What is that?

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
How the hell can you get a packet of coffee that is already brewed?

That makes no sense.

I would guess that it supposed to mean air roasted, as in roasted with hot air, much like my Nesco roaster, and my popcorn popper.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
haha I meant roasted not brewed this ain't Canada. Pre ground air roasted or something like that.

jakobeast

Liked Posts:
Damn Mormons taking everyones coffee.

Growing up Mormon, I was never exposed to coffee. When I got old enough to smoke and drink(about 14 or 15), I had little interest in coffee. I have a cup sparingly, like, maybe once a month if that. I don't think I tolerate the caffeine to well, as I feel wired and sometimes seem to get a panic attack after i have a cup o joe. Other times I have a cup and feel fine, if not more tired. I have had some coffee before then feel asleep, and for the life of me can't figure that one out.

The wife like Intelligentsia coffee. She isn't a big joe drinker either, but both of us agree, that is some good coffee.

I used to load it up with sugar and cream, but I have since started taking it with maybe a dash of sugar and a splash of cream. I am a pussy.

Ton

Liked Posts:
Damn Mormons taking everyones coffee.

Growing up Mormon, I was never exposed to coffee. When I got old enough to smoke and drink(about 14 or 15), I had little interest in coffee. I have a cup sparingly, like, maybe once a month if that. I don't think I tolerate the caffeine to well, as I feel wired and sometimes seem to get a panic attack after i have a cup o joe. Other times I have a cup and feel fine, if not more tired. I have had some coffee before then feel asleep, and for the life of me can't figure that one out.

The wife like Intelligentsia coffee. She isn't a big joe drinker either, but both of us agree, that is some good coffee.

I used to load it up with sugar and cream, but I have since started taking it with maybe a dash of sugar and a splash of cream. I am a pussy.

I don't drink coffee either. For me, I just don't want to depend on another source of energy when I know I can do it by myself. I only drink it when I want to enjoy it, even then, I prefer tea. So I am a bigger pussy than you.

jakobeast

Liked Posts:
I don't drink coffee either. For me, I just don't want to depend on another source of energy when I know I can do it by myself. I only drink it when I want to enjoy it, even then, I prefer tea. So I am a bigger pussy than you.

Im with you there. I usually only have a small cup when I do drink it and thats about it. Im starting to enjoy tea more then I used to, but that is sparingly as well.

I was out to breakfast with the wife and the mutha in law and Ymono. I got tea. and when it was done steeping, I started to literally tea bag the water. I looked at the wife and said "remind you of anything?". I don't know who was laughing harder and trying not to show it.

Ymono37

Liked Posts:
Im with you there. I usually only have a small cup when I do drink it and thats about it. Im starting to enjoy tea more then I used to, but that is sparingly as well.

I was out to breakfast with the wife and the mutha in law and Ymono. I got tea. and when it was done steeping, I started to literally tea bag the water. I looked at the wife and said "remind you of anything?". I don't know who was laughing harder and trying not to show it.

Oh Man... and your MIL with that look of "What?"

I've had a big yen for some Cafe Du Monde Chickory Coffee lately. I was hoping Emeril's Big Easy Bold coffee (Keurig) would suffice, but it pales in comparison.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I'm with you there Jako, I think if you are going to go out and buy it, Intelligentsia coffee is what I prefer, there is a local come called Metropolis that isn't bad either. I never drank coffee till I was about 26 and it was free at my office job, then I dumped cream and sweeter in it and slowly i've try to cut that back some. Now I do a bit of cream for color and one splenda, but it's all about the same to me coffee wise, I can tell the difference between very few. At the end of the day though I still prefer the old, stale burnt goodness of a 2am cup of some diner like Perkins finest that they constantly refresh to fuck up your cream and sugar ratios.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I like my coffee like I like my women...

Ground up and in the freezer.

The Mule

Liked Posts:
I have never really had any interest in coffee, unless my Nonna or dad makes it and it's got a shot of Sambuca. I don't drink it normally. If I do I am even more intensely hyper than usual. At my old job I was banned from drinking coffee (which I would occasionally do due to being super sleepy from work, grad school, late night drinking, etc) because it was too scary for my co-workers. I'd be running around like a jackrabbit and talking really fast and to their slow, boring asses I was annoying. Fair enough.