The Critical Corner - Eddie Jackson

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I know we all like to read stuff about how great our players are or will be, but it's also beneficial to have a critical eye. This is because a lot of us tend to go through wild swings of emotion. A player could have a rough first few games or is rarely seeing the field, and he's immediately labeled a bust. A lot of these guys have real issues in their game. While some of these flaws may be critical, they are also likely correctable. I know it's scary, but it's gonna take patience.

Eddie Jackson - Safety - Alabama

I'm starting things out with Eddie Jackson the free safety out of Alabama. He looks to be a true ball hawking safety with good range as well as an elite punt returner. These punt returning skills make it so that anytime he had the football (offense/defense) he's a threat to score. Even the great Brett Kollmann has stated he would draft him in the 1st round.

So I watched the 2015 national championship game, in which I believe Jackson was named the defensive MVP. I'd like to quickly address his range. While he does have good range out there, it's doesn't look to be incredibly game changing.

k_WlU0.gif

6XAk91.gif

***This play is kinda similar to the one Malik Hooker made famous in 2016. It looks as though Jackson is about a step behind Hooker as far as range. Now I know that only a handful of players actually possess the range of Hooker, so I'm obviously being overly critical here.

Now on to the main problem, and that would be tackling. I knew that Jackson was a bad tackler, but he's a VERY bad tackler. And it's not just tackling that's the problem. It's the physicality of his game, by which I mean he has none.

vBb5B2.gif

***In this gif above, Eddie Jackson becomes a human speed bump. He just sorta gets in front of the ball carrier and hopes that his presence alone will be enough to stop him.

71g3zU.gif

***In the above gif, Jackson takes an absolutely atrocious angle and completely misses the RB.

DuXTFi.gif

***This play above goes back to the lack of physicality. Jackson is dragged 8 yards after the point of contact with the RB, just holding on for dear life.

59QYJB.gif

***Here Jackson becomes extremely hesitant as he closes on on Watson, allowing him to get around him on the edge.

p1Agl4.gif

***Here again Jackson hesitates as he approaches the ball carrier, allowing him time to set his feet and survey the field. One move and Jackson becomes off balance, making his attempted arm tackle ineffective. The ball carrier actually twisted his ankle badly in the course of that tackle attempt, and Jackson still couldn't bring him down. Sometimes it seems as though Jackson is afraid of contact.

RdrGus.gif

***In this play, Jackson comes out of deep safety and proceeds to become a human traffic cone.

CIrPA8.gif

***Here Jackson does recover to get back to the ball carrier, but is then dragged another 10 yards until the RB steps out of bounds.

Tackling is something that can be fixed with time. Earl Thomas was an awful tackler in his first 2 seasons of the league. The thing we must understand is that Jackson could quickly see the bench if this doesn't improve. No matter how well he plays in the passing game.

What I'm most worried about though is the lack of physicality and aggressiveness. To improve as a tackler, first and foremost, you have to want to tackle someone. It's about effort and having that mindset more than anything else. It's something he has to choose to do himself. Because of the lack of physicality, Jackson is run around and run through. Because of his lack of agressiveness, Jackson is easily blocked out of the play. If dude can change his mindset out there, he has the ability to be a very good safety.

HansGruber

INFIDEL
Liked Posts:
while i applaud you're well thought out and informative post (Gifs included),i cant help to think that your fore drawn conclusion is that somehow since Jackson wasn't or isn't a smasher he will somehow fail to achieve greatness or even average player status.I would like to introduce you to Mr Adrian Amos,i have seen Amos destroy guys with BRUTAL hits (knocking them out of the game) and completely suck at the game or football.Having Amos at Safety is like having Conte back without the interceptions.

Jackson is a Ball Hawk and that is what we need at safety,i could give two shits if Amos dose a Conte Esq head dive helmet to helmet hit on a guy making him unable to do basic ABC skills just for my enjoyment.Jackson will turn out to be a standout player IMO

Predict Hall will start at Free Safety along with Demps at strong

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
while i applaud you're well thought out and informative post (Gifs included),i cant help to think that your fore drawn conclusion is that somehow since Jackson wasn't or isn't a smasher he will somehow fail to achieve greatness or even average player status.I would like to introduce you to Mr Adrian Amos,i have seen Amos destroy guys with BRUTAL hits (knocking them out of the game) and completely suck at the game or football.Having Amos at Safety is like having Conte back without the interceptions.

Jackson is a Ball Hawk and that is what we need at safety,i could give two shits if Amos dose a Conte Esq head dive helmet to helmet hit on a guy making him unable to do basic ABC skills just for my enjoyment.Jackson will turn out to be a standout player IMO

I honestly think the tackling issue will be something that hurts him. However, you are absolutely correct. We need a guy who will go after the ball.

It's not just Amos' inability to make an interception, the guy has just a pathetic 7 PD's in 31 games. So sick of watching Amos literally ignore the ball and sit and wait for the receiver to catch the ball to "make the tackle".

Then again, Remy thinks he's one of the best safeties in the NFL, so...

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

The problem with this is that if Jackson is missing tackles, he'll be on the bench in a hurry. Look, tackling can be improved upon. Jamal Adams was a bad tackler in 2015, and he improved greatly this past season. Earl Thomas was an absolutely garbage tackler when he came into the league. But before the coaches can even get started on working on your technique, you have to actually want to tackle. And that is where my concern lies.

Kaufman20Embalm

Liked Posts:
One thing people forget when talking about Amos is that he has had garbage safeties playing next to him. A lot of playing in the secondary has to do with trusting your teammates. It's hard to take a lot of risk's on the ball when you don't trust your teammates to be in the right place to bail you out. Hopefully the addition of demps helps in this department. Saftey should be a fun competition to watch this summer. Hopefully the cream rises to the top and we build a decent back end to our secondary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
I noticed many of the same things about Jackson after watching his tap once he was drafted. I am not impressed. He has plenty to work on and those penciling him ahead of some of our other players are going to be a bit let down. My biggest problem with him is that he looks like he takes himself out of the play and is non-existent for periods at a time. And I don't mean that in a good way, I mean he shies away from making a play.

At the same time, I did listen in on an interview of him during the pre-draft process and was impressed. He seems to be a hard worker, determined, and eager to do whatever it takes to succeed. Yet, I think he has plenty to work on and if he finds success it will take him a number of years to develop.

jbunch14

Liked Posts:
Nick Satan had a lot of good things to say about him. He was likely on track for at least a 2nd round grade without the broken leg. He has elite range and good balls skills. Value pick in the 4th round. Hopefully he recovers fully from the injury and makes an impact. Could be a gem returning kicks.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
So, you're being critical of a fourth round pick?...

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nick Satan had a lot of good things to say about him. He was likely on track for at least a 2nd round grade without the broken leg. He has elite range and good balls skills. Value pick in the 4th round. Hopefully he recovers fully from the injury and makes an impact. Could be a gem returning kicks.

Dern. On a first name basis with Satan? I call him Mr. Satan.

Again, value pick in the 4th. Kid could have been a first rounder sans the busted retreat stick.

fenderpfunk

Liked Posts:
Can you ask Mr. Satan if they recently took in a Doberman by the name of "pincher"? He was a dog of mine that just died and I wasn't sure which way he'd go on judgement day. Real cheeky bastard.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
i dont think anyone thought jackson was going to be flawless, his injury alone wouldnt have dropped him to the 4th. He seems willing to learn and has a strong work ethic, at the very least his tackling is something that can be improved substantially.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I honestly think the tackling issue will be something that hurts him. However, you are absolutely correct. We need a guy who will go after the ball.

It's not just Amos' inability to make an interception, the guy has just a pathetic 7 PD's in 31 games. So sick of watching Amos literally ignore the ball and sit and wait for the receiver to catch the ball to "make the tackle".

Then again, Remy thinks he's one of the best safeties in the NFL, so...

Yeah, I don't think he is the starter.

He has/had one or two skills. Ball skills/visions/speed.

But he isn't fast at this level. So he has ball skills and vision. He isn't athletic in the lower half, has small knees and legs and looks weak. If he wouldn't tackle college athletes, how the fuck is he going to tackle pro's?

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
It was worth the risk with Jackson. It is not like he was taking in the early rounds. The guy still has skills worth the later round selection. Hopefully he stays healthy and improves in some of the areas you mentioned.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, I don't think he is the starter.

He has/had one or two skills. Ball skills/visions/speed.

But he isn't fast at this level. So he has ball skills and vision. He isn't athletic in the lower half, has small knees and legs and looks weak. If he wouldn't tackle college athletes, how the fuck is he going to tackle pro's?

dS_spe.gif

Rgrigutis

Liked Posts:
I see him as a special teamer this year. Hopefully with a year in the weight room and fangio in his ear he can gain some aggressiveness and technique in run support. But hey he's a pure free safety

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Good OP.

gifs helped explain the points even better.

This raises concern for me for sure. Question is if these poor tackles are the regular norm or the exception?

While tackling CAN be coached up, it doesn't mean it will be. Let's hope & pray that Bears pro coaching is better than well...THE top level collegiate coaching he already had as a starter for Bama?

Treehorn

Liked Posts:
He is an atrocious tackler. But how much can he really improve that aspect of his game since he had Saban teaching him at Alabama(DB's are Saban's specialty)?

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It was worth the risk with Jackson. It is not like he was taking in the early rounds. The guy still has skills worth the later round selection. Hopefully he stays healthy and improves in some of the areas you mentioned.

Yeah, I agree. As I see it, the guy was well worth the 4th round selection. He could be a starter if his leg is okay and when you can get a starter out of a 4th round pick, you've done a good job.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
One thing people forget when talking about Amos is that he has had garbage safeties playing next to him. A lot of playing in the secondary has to do with trusting your teammates. It's hard to take a lot of risk's on the ball when you don't trust your teammates to be in the right place to bail you out. Hopefully the addition of demps helps in this department. Saftey should be a fun competition to watch this summer. Hopefully the cream rises to the top and we build a decent back end to our secondary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All that I know is that if some damn coach doesn't teach these a-holes how to find the ball in the air, that "cream" is going to sour quickly:(