The inaccuracies of Mako Mitch

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Week 3 was another rough one for Mitchell Trubisky. After week 1, I wasn’t worried at all. But now after 3 games of tape and seeing the same inconsistencies over and over again, I am starting to get a tad bit worried. Now look, expected him to have growing pains learning how to read defenses and learning a new offense, that stuff doesn’t bother me much yet at this point. But the one variable I never took into account was his current accuracy issues. Trubisky is/was a deadly accurate passer, so this issue has completely blindsided me. Hopefully it is just a scheme fit issue and nothing else. Let’s go to the tape:

The Arizona Cardinals gave Trubisky absolutely no respect in this game. They blitzed Trubisky on his first 3 pass attempts, 5 out of his first 6 pass attempts, and 8 of his first 11 pass attempts. There were only a handful of times in the entire first half where they did not send extra pressure at him. Basically, they defended him as if he were some developmental rookie in his first ever start.

Blitzing an extra man is risky, so it’s predominantly done in desperation, as a change of pace, or in a critical situation. Rarely do you see a team blitz for most of an entire game. The qb will eventually figure it out and torch the defense. But not only were the Cardinals blitzing on the regular, they were sending 6 defenders on several occasions. This is a recipe for disaster, and it shows how little worry they had that Trubisky could burn them. In most passing situations, Arizona lined up 6 defensers at the LOS, one deep safety and man to man across the board, daring Trubisky to beat them...

ueaSGyO.jpg

yoMwGPf.jpg

The trouble began on the 3rd pass play of the game. Arizona shows 7 defenders at the LOS. At the snap of the ball, 5 defenders go after Trubisky including both safeties off of both edges. The running back is open for a big gain, but Trubisky never sees him. Trubisky sees the safety blitz to his right, so he keeps his eyes there waiting for Kevin White to flash open. He has no idea the other safety is coming at him from the left, therefor he never looks in that direction.

dovjNRs.jpg

wJRuuoB.jpg

o9K4IG.gif

But the real issue for me is when Trubisky has a clean pocket and still misses throws such as this one behind Miller...

dq8IA2.gif

Beginning with the 3rd series, Nagy began trying to reel Trubisky back, including 8 man protections on 3rd down.

LCCIsTL.jpg

Here we have a 5 man blitz that’s picked up beautifully by the offensive line. This is where you have to burn a defense for blitzing one too many times. Taylor Gabriel is running full speed at a flat footed safety and Trubisky has a pocket you can drive a bus through.

LwEyQpX.jpg

5q5IluF.jpg

Watch closely right before the release of the ball. It looks as though Trubisky flinches even though he had no imminent pressure. Dude may be seeing ghosts in the pocket.

1-8Rz7.gif

I noticed something similar in week 2...

psSwwD.gif

If you’re gonna throw this, you gotta do it before the break. Trubisky seems a touch late at times...

W9LSsU.gif

Im not gonna crucify Trubisky for this because he had pressure to deal with, but he’s definitely capable of making this play...

hTPh8x.gif

You just gotta keep this ball in the field of play...

uaus7_.gif

This could have been a huge play right before the half. The safety comes in on a blitz leaving the RB with completely open space. Unfortunately, Trubisky could not get the ball past the defensive lineman.

bBrkbXF.jpg

QNEmCWA.jpg

WdSQ-J.gif

Trubisky throws this ball aboot 23 seconds too late...

dkRiNs.gif

Matt Nagy dials up the absolute perfect play here against a 6 man blitz. It’s basically a 3 on 2 on the left side of the field. You end up with Anthony Miller open in space with two blockers in front of him. The pressure doesnt get to Trubisky in time, as he delivers the ball in a still clear pocket. Awful throw...

4uzBVCy.jpg

rbKy0mi.jpg

0A1rHnE.png

HidP5b.gif

On this play, Trubisky manipulates the deep safety beautifully, getting him to bite on the in breaking route. This leaves Allen Robinson one on one, which is always a huge win for the Bears. At 6’3” with a 40 inch vertical, Robinson is one of the premier jump ball WR’s in the NFL. With a clean pocket to step into, Trubisky has to give Robinson a chance with this ball. Big missed opportunity...

9EM2aKA.jpg

pOC4pNJ.jpg

CfuCKt.gif

Reason for optimism

If you are looking for a reason for optimism, look no further than this pass to Burton. Trubisky falls down backpedaling, gets swarmed by pressure to the right of him and straight in his face, is not able to step up into the throw fully, has to short arm it, yet delivers a strike 20+ yards downfield. This...is...special...

IXTJI2.gif

All in all, there is reason to be a bit concerned at the moment. Hopefully this bout of inaccuracy is just a scheme fit issue and not some unfixable psychological issue.

Last edited:

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
Week 3 was another rough one for Mitchell Trubisky. After week 1, I wasn’t worried at all. But now after 3 games of tape and seeing the same inconsistencies over and over again, I am starting to get a tad bit worried. Now look, expected him to have growing pains learning how to read defenses and learning a new offense, that stuff doesn’t bother me much yet at this point. But the one variable I never took into account was his current accuracy issues. Trubisky is/was a deadly accurate passer, so this issue has completely blindsided me. Hopefully it is just a scheme fit issue and nothing else. Let’s go to the tape:

The Arizona Cardinals gave Trubisky absolutely no respect in this game. They blitzed Trubisky on his first 3 pass attempts, 5 out of his first 6 pass attempts, and 8 of his first 11 pass attempts. There were only a handful of times in the entire first half where they did not send extra pressure at him. Basically, they defended him as if he were some developmental rookie in his first ever start.

Blitzing an extra man is risky, so it’s predominantly done in desperation, as a change of pace, or in a critical situation. Rarely do you see a team blitz for most of an entire game. The qb will eventually figure it out and torch the defense. But not only were the Cardinals blitzing on the regular, they were sending 6 defenders on several occasions. This is a recipe for disaster, and it shows how little worry they had that Trubisky could burn them. In most passing situations, Arizona lined up 6 defensers at the LOS, one deep safety and man to man across the board, daring Trubisky to beat them...

ueaSGyO.jpg

yoMwGPf.jpg

The trouble began on the 3rd pass play of the game. Arizona shows 7 defenders at the LOS. At the snap of the ball, 5 defenders go after Trubisky including both safeties off of both edges. The running back is open for a big gain, but Trubisky never sees him. Trubisky sees the safety blitz to his right, so he keeps his eyes there waiting for Kevin White to flash open. He has no idea the other safety is coming at him from the left, therefor he never looks in that direction.

dovjNRs.jpg

wJRuuoB.jpg

o9K4IG.gif

But the real issue for me is when Trubisky has a clean pocket and still misses throws such as this one behind Miller...

dq8IA2.gif

Beginning with the 3rd series, Nagy began trying to reel Trubisky back, including 8 man protections on 3rd down.

LCCIsTL.jpg

Here we have a 5 man blitz that’s picked up beautifully by the offensive line. This is where you have to burn a defense for blitzing one too many times. Taylor Gabriel is running full speed at a flat footed safety and Trubisky has a pocket you can drive a bus through.

LwEyQpX.jpg

5q5IluF.jpg

Watch closely right before the release of the ball. It looks as though Trubisky flinches even though he had no imminent pressure. Dude may be seeing ghosts in the pocket.

1-8Rz7.gif

psSwwD.gif

If you’re gonna throw this, you gotta do it before the break. Trubisky seems a touch late at times...

W9LSsU.gif

Im not gonna crucify Trubisky for this because he had pressure to deal with, but he’s definitely capable of making this play...

hTPh8x.gif

uaus7_.gif

This could have been a huge play right before the half. The safety comes in on a blitz leaving the RB with completely open space. Unfortunately, Trubisky could not get the ball past the defensive lineman.

bBrkbXF.jpg

QNEmCWA.jpg

WdSQ-J.gif

dkRiNs.gif

Matt Nagy dials up the absolute perfect play here against a 6 man blitz. It’s basically a 3 on 2 on the left side of the field. You end up with Anthony Miller open in space with two blockers in front of him. The pressure doesnt get to Trubisky in time, as he delivers the ball in a still clear pocket. Awful throw...

4uzBVCy.jpg

rbKy0mi.jpg

0A1rHnE.png

HidP5b.gif

On this play, Trubisky manipulates the deep safety beautifully, getting him to bite on the in breaking route. This leaves Allen Robinson one on one, which is always a huge win for the Bears. At 6’3” with a 40 inch vertical, Robinson is one of the premier jump ball WR’s in the NFL. With a clean pocket to step into, Trubisky has to give Robinson a chance with this ball. Big missed opportunity...

9EM2aKA.jpg

pOC4pNJ.jpg

pOC4pNJ.jpg

Reason for optimism

If you are looking for a reason for optimism, look no further than this pass to Burton. Trubisky falls down backpedaling, gets swarmed by pressure to the right of him and straight in his face, is not able to step up into the throw fully, has to short arm it, yet delivers a strike 20+ yards downfield. This...is...special...

All in all, there is reason to be a bit concerned at the moment. Hopefully this bout of inaccuracy is just a scheme fit issue and not some unfixable psychological issue.[/QUOTE]

Post all the creepy pics you want. You will be proven wrong 2mow.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
He’s only seeing half the field and is pressure sensitive. He needs to break out if this funk soon before the defense starts experiencing scheme control from game film or injuries. I’d hate to see him when the Bears are behind to a good team.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
His footwork on his release is terrible. The decision making, lack of awareness, and terrible throws are more than a little cause for concern, imo. This is really, really bad stuff.

This is what I mean when I argue with people who say he just needs time to learn the offense and develop chemistry with his receivers. These are basic fundamentals.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
The long strike to Robinson was another excellent throw. Nice breakdown Adipost.

The Doctor

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
Nice breakdown as usual Adi. I am not too concerned about Tru's inconsistencies at this point. I liken it to learning how to dance. Early on you're just trying to figure out each step. Where this foot goes. Where the other one goes etc. At this point each step is a piece all to its self and not a part of the whole. Until you learn how each step flows together you look robotic and disjointed. In time you stop thinking and just dance. This is what, in my opinion, is going on with Mitch. Pretty soon he's going to stop thinking about each step and just play.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Nice breakdown as usual Adi. I am not too concerned about Tru's inconsistencies at this point. I liken it to learning how to dance. Early on you're just trying to figure out each step. Where this foot goes. Where the other one goes etc. At this point each step is a piece all to its self and not a part of the whole. Until you learn how each step flows together you look robotic and disjointed. In time you stop thinking and just dance. This is what, in my opinion, is going on with Mitch. Pretty soon he's going to stop thinking about each step and just play.
This sounds like discussing a freshman in high school, not a 2nd year NFL QB.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs

Especially when the rest of the offense is learning how to “dance” too.

The Doctor

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
Perhaps Mick, but I think the analogy still fits. You gotta learn the notes before you can play the music. Better? :)

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I learned how to polka in 4th grade and in just 2 weeks i will be 41. Still know how to polka and its been years since ive seen live polka action.

All that being said, mitchell is going to polka deep for at least 2 to 3 passing tds 2mow.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

ueaSGyO.jpg

yoMwGPf.jpg

dovjNRs.jpg

wJRuuoB.jpg

o9K4IG.gif

dq8IA2.gif

LCCIsTL.jpg

LwEyQpX.jpg

5q5IluF.jpg

1-8Rz7.gif

psSwwD.gif

W9LSsU.gif

hTPh8x.gif

uaus7_.gif

bBrkbXF.jpg

QNEmCWA.jpg

WdSQ-J.gif

dkRiNs.gif

4uzBVCy.jpg

rbKy0mi.jpg

0A1rHnE.png

HidP5b.gif

9EM2aKA.jpg

pOC4pNJ.jpg

pOC4pNJ.jpg

Reason for optimism

IXTJI2.gif

All in all, there is reason to be a bit concerned at the moment. Hopefully this bout of inaccuracy is just a scheme fit issue and not some unfixable psychological issue.

My optimism is abundant and I'm all buckled up.

BearsJR

Liked Posts:
On the long sack play, I believe he said he thought the hot read was on the right side and that’s why he kept his eyes there. He saw the blitz (half of it anyway) but he didn’t see Cohen because he never looked left, at all. Allegedly that was just a mistake in his part. I hope so, because that looked like a sure TD had he gotten it right.
Feels like he’s pressing too much, someone needs to skip a Xanax in his pre game Gatorade.

pfcmsh

Liked Posts:
Just read this on the Bears website 9-29-2018.

"On Target - Quarterback Mitchell Trubisky ranks fifth in the NFC with a .692 completion percentage. He went 24-35 against the Cardinals in Week 3."

I realize that he has missed some throws badly and tends to leave the pocket. I think both are to keep turnovers down. He has a long way to go, but the point is that all is not lost or bad and it is improving each week.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
I learned how to polka in 4th grade and in just 2 weeks i will be 41. Still know how to polka and its been years since ive seen live polka action.

All that being said, mitchell is going to polka deep for at least 2 to 3 passing tds 2mow.

Some people just have natural talent. You were a polka savant.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

ueaSGyO.jpg

yoMwGPf.jpg

dovjNRs.jpg

wJRuuoB.jpg

o9K4IG.gif

dq8IA2.gif

LCCIsTL.jpg

LwEyQpX.jpg

5q5IluF.jpg

1-8Rz7.gif

psSwwD.gif

W9LSsU.gif

hTPh8x.gif

uaus7_.gif

bBrkbXF.jpg

QNEmCWA.jpg

WdSQ-J.gif

dkRiNs.gif

4uzBVCy.jpg

rbKy0mi.jpg

0A1rHnE.png

HidP5b.gif

9EM2aKA.jpg

pOC4pNJ.jpg

pOC4pNJ.jpg

Reason for optimism

IXTJI2.gif

I didn't understand why some said this game showed growth. To me, it was like week one all over again. He sees things late or just doesn't trust what he sees yet and is still too afraid of making the big mistake. Nagu needs to tell him to whip it out and throw 2 picks next game. Odds are he doesn't and we see his game get better. Game is still to fast for him and that part I understand but make the fucking throws. Mitch has remarkable arm talent that is completely lost with his trying so hard to play in system with perfect mechanics, not make errors and not yet being able to because his grasp isn't where it should be for the amount of O that's been installed. One reason why I think pulling it back a bit would help. Nagy said they were much further along than he thought they could be. Maybe he was wrong and should have stuck to his original timetable.

I still don't see much issue in his footwork. He throws off his front foot with a good weight shift most of the time. Can't reset for every throw. It's not perfect but that's not why he's missing. Never even needed his feet to be accurate in the 1st place. At this point they should ignore his feet and just let him do his thing and play. Best pass he threw was off his back foot with his weight going the wrong way. If you draft a guy who can be special because he can make throws with as Pace called 'funny arm angles', let him.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
The Dane analogy is good. But it isn't automatic. Some people find they just arent able to learn all the technical steps needed to dance. Others learn the moves, but never are able to put it all together and just flow with the music.

We know what Trubisky is struggling with and what needs to happen. But there hasn't been any evidence yet to show it actually will happen...or when.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
So analogies aren’t your thing?
Not particularly. Analogies are usually poorly thought out and bare little meaningful resemblance to the reality they're intended to explain (not saying that this particular one is, just generally speaking).

Either way, Trubisky's progress and the level he's at at this stage is extremely concerning, imo.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Perhaps Mick, but I think the analogy still fits. You gotta learn the notes before you can play the music. Better? :)
But as I said in my first post in the thread, I don't think these kind of mistakes can be attributed to inexperience in the offense. These are fundamental issues.