The Reality of the Free Agent Budget

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Any position with a 3 or 4 next to it is not a glaring hole. SS and RG are the biggest holes at the moment as there is no starter or even experienced back up on the roster for 2020. TE is a huge need, but they may still roll the dice with Burton at TE in 2020 as they know his health status better than any CCSer.

mbison

Liked Posts:
Now you have to split 20-25 million between theses spots and you are not left with a lot per player. It may be a multiple tier 2-3 player offseason to fill the obvious needs.

QB2
RG
OT3
TE
OLB3
SS
CB3-4

Assuming you have 25 million for Free Agency that do you budget per spot?

Bears will have a high 30 million low 40 million to play with after all their cuts and restructuring. The saved 8 million just from Kyle Long

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
We know that Pace likes to go into the draft without glaring holes on the roster, which means he has a lot of work to do on a tight budget. This is assuming that ILB is addressed in house.

QB2
RG
OT3
TE
OLB3
SS
CB3-4

To go into the draft without a glaring hole this is the list

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Bears will have a high 30 million low 40 million to play with after all their cuts and restructuring. The saved 8 million just from Kyle Long

As I said, they will have 50 million with some extensions

But that gets spread out pretty quick

5 draft
2-3 emergencies
17-20 re-signings
20-25 Outside free agents

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Bruh can you stop saying JPL or JLP. It's KPL lol
Kevin Pierre Louis

He's just throwing out a hint that we need to get JPP in here to play OLB.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:

giphy.gif

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
His contract is a real turd. Are the Jags willing to give us a 3rd and 4th to take him off their hands?

Good question. If they are then i'd be good with them taking that chance on him but can't say it still wouldn't make me very nervous. The guy has shown he can play when put in the right situation and you give him some weapons i think he could do well for us.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Good question. If they are then i'd be good with them taking that chance on him but can't say it still wouldn't make me very nervous. The guy has shown he can play when put in the right situation and you give him some weapons i think he could do well for us.

My only issue with him is he eats up a bunch of the free agent money.

That puts more stress on the draft. Which means we need more picks.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

Yeah i get you. Pace would have to get real crafty with maybe moving money around on contracts of other current players which you gotta be real careful with cause you do too many and it just hurts us in the future. It would be tough to fit his contract in and still fill out the other needs for sure.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:

Agree with Windy -- Bears have to go with Trubisky and be a team not dependent on 'super QB play', like the 49ers are. Also meaning, they can't spend more $ than they were spending on Daniel. I don't see Pace, nor do I think it's wise, to spend "starting competition" on a Vet QB. The team can only afford a respectable backup.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Agree with Windy -- Bears have to go with Trubisky and be a team not dependent on 'super QB play', like the 49ers are. Also meaning, they can't spend more $ than they were spending on Daniel. I don't see Pace, nor do I think it's wise, to spend "starting competition" on a Vet QB. The team can only afford a respectable backup.

No i get it and pretty much agree with both of you. I was just posting a article that i thought had some interesting points in it but doesn't mean i agree with it. The part that has me not quite 100% believing they wouldn't do it is how each one of Nagy, Lazor and DeFilippo all having coached Foles in some way in the past and if those 3 convinced Pace that together the 3 of them could get the most out of Foles and believe in Foles then could they convince Pace that he's worth trading for especially if we could actually get a mid round pick from the Jags to take on Foles and his contract. Many hear believe Pace is working for his job this offseason and if Pace also believes that then he could throw all his cards in the pot and go for it.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
How about just Phillip Rivers and band-aids?

He was really bad last year and if i remember correctly he wasn't great the year before either. I also think there's something behind his moving his family to Florida and he could end up with one of those 3 Florida teams.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
We need to spend LESS on QB than we have been for Trubisky and Daniel and still get more out of the position.

How much do we save if we release Trubisky?

Sounds crazy, but sometimes you have to bite the bullet and move on.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
We need to spend LESS on QB than we have been for Trubisky and Daniel and still get more out of the position.

How much do we save if we release Trubisky?

Sounds crazy, but sometimes you have to bite the bullet and move on.

Would you trade Trubisky to the Jags for N.Foles? It would save them money cause Trubisky is on the last year of his deal which i think is somewhere around $10 mil and Foles has 3 years left. We go all in with Foles but would be clear of Trubisky and could now start looking in drafts for their next young QB to sit behind Foles for a year or two. They could even draft one of the QB's in this draft that people think aren't ready to play yet so he could sit behind Foles for a year or two. Or they could wait sign a cheap backup for Foles and draft a QB in next years draft. I wouldn't mind drafting A.Gordon to come in and compete with Foles or sit behind Foles for at least a year. Maybe we could even get them to still send us a draft pick with Foles.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Would you trade Trubisky to the Jags for N.Foles? It would save them money cause Trubisky is on the last year of his deal which i think is somewhere around $10 mil and Foles has 3 years left. We go all in with Foles but would be clear of Trubisky and could now start looking in drafts for their next young QB to sit behind Foles for a year or two. They could even draft one of the QB's in this draft that people think aren't ready to play yet so he could sit behind Foles for a year or two. Or they could wait sign a cheap backup for Foles and draft a QB in next years draft. I wouldn't mind drafting A.Gordon to come in and compete with Foles or sit behind Foles for at least a year. Maybe we could even get them to still send us a draft pick with Foles.
no....Foles contract is worse than Trubisky's. I thought Mitch cost 17,000,000....

10 for him is fair. Foles is no better, worse in some ways.

Minshew is trash and beat out Foles...speaks volumes. The one thing Foles had going for him was one of the greatest high point wide receivers I have seen in Alshon Jeffery. Wentz and Alshon don't share the same connection because of trajectory. Wentz throws on a dart trajectory, whereas Foles is a Grossman type that lofts the ball up. We don't have the offensive line or type of WR's that would get anything done with Foles imo.

I think Foles contract is one of the worst in the entire NFL.

coolio

Liked Posts:
He was really bad last year and if i remember correctly he wasn't great the year before either. I also think there's something behind his moving his family to Florida and he could end up with one of those 3 Florida teams.

He was great the year before last year

FattSlimm

Liked Posts:
Pace is stupid as hell if he chooses to go down with Trubisky, his job should depend on how well the bears do not how Trubisky does. If we go like 10-6 and make the playoffs with Andy Dalton led us to that record then he wouldn't get fired. Imo were in a 2 year retool right now.
I agree but does anyone think Nagy will be flexible enough to change his offense in order to fit a quarterback that doesn’t fit his system? Based on what I’ve seen the last two years it has seemed clear that the answer is no. Maybe all the new faces around him will help change that.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
Pace is stupid as hell if he chooses to go down with Trubisky, his job should depend on how well the bears do not how Trubisky does. If we go like 10-6 and make the playoffs with Andy Dalton led us to that record then he wouldn't get fired. Imo were in a 2 year retool right now.

You have said nothing wrong but I believe Pace thinks the best way to get back in the playoffs is to build around Mitch and hope he plays at least well enough to win 10 games out of 16. If he breaks the bank for a FA QB or spends a high pick on a new rookie QB, the rest of the cupboard on offense would be too bare to expect major increase in yards and points and would ignite new controversy over Pace losing faith in his guy Mitch.

He would look ridiculous like the girl having a couple of dates for the prom and a couple guys on "standby". Overall, you understand why but still think it's not good - a sign of someone who just doesn't know what exactly they are even looking for.