Things you are "worried" about in the upcoming season

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Mitch developing is #1. By far. I'm not even sure there's a "#2"...that's how big a priority Mitch is. It likely moves to like #3 or #4 at that point.
This. If Mitch improves, really improves, the Bears will be scary good. Having a top 5 defense and a top 10 offense will make for a lot of victories.

If he has already hit his ceiling, the Bears will be held back by their offense and will need to search for the next Bears QB.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
Injuries are my #1. The Bears were very lucky in this category last year and it showed on the field.

Kicker is #2

The offense #3. We all expect a huge jump this year but what if it doesn’t happen. As we saw in the playoff game the defense can only get you so far.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
There are plenty of unanswered questions but ultimately this team will go as far as Trubisky can take them. There were times last year when Nagy had to simplify the offense to settle him down - not good. If he comes into his own this year other problems won't matter as much.

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
Injuries are my #1. The Bears were very lucky in this category last year and it showed on the field.

Kicker is #2

The offense #3. We all expect a huge jump this year but what if it doesn’t happen. As we saw in the playoff game the defense can only get you so far.
Don't forget though, they also vastly improved special teams. So even if there is no big jump, the defense plus special teams plus middle of the road offense might be enough

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My worry is about the lag time it will take to get this D up to speed in Pagano's system

I would worry less. Vic Fangio ran a pretty generic defense...so it is not really some jarring "system" change. Pagano will keep a lot of the same alignments and probably adapt to the verbage to what the players are already cozy with. From there he will just pour through tape and start building on the foundation Vic built.

Fangio did have a knack for hiding alignments better than most and was an above average playcaller on game day. That is where he will really be missed if Pagano gets outcoached early and often.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Besides the obvious (Trubisky), how the D coordinator change will impact the defense. Fangio was on par with Bill Belichick as a defensive coach/schemer. How much actual game scheming experience does Pagano have with only 1 season as a defensive coordinator in the NFL?

Also, after looking through some of his 2018 tape, there is some concern with HHCD giving up big plays.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
I'm worried that Windy City will start his 2020 Mock Draft on Monday. Fucker thinks he is Mel Kiper

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would worry less. Vic Fangio ran a pretty generic defense...so it is not really some jarring "system" change. Pagano will keep a lot of the same alignments and probably adapt to the verbage to what the players are already cozy with. From there he will just pour through tape and start building on the foundation Vic built.

Fangio did have a knack for hiding alignments better than most and was an above average playcaller on game day. That is where he will really be missed if Pagano gets outcoached early and often.

I think Fangio excelled at tweaking assignments to emphasize what individual players are good at. And let them ball out from there. Sounds simple but I think it is rare.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
2018 Bears took a huge leap going from a basement team to 3rd in the NFC all together. Unfortunately we were knocked out first round but the expectations this year are understandably higher. While i expect our team to be good next year i have some doubts about a few things.

1) The OL- In all honesty I think our OL is subpar. The running game was flat out bad to mediocre and i think Trubisky made our pass blocking look better than it actually is. When didn't upgrade at any position or bring in anyone so I'm concerned

2) Pagano calling defense- Ill admit this is the least of my worries but still bugs me from time to time. This defense was Fangio's baby that he honestly built up but Elway kidnapped him. I'm aware Pagano has coached damn good defenses but I worry he might try to "fix what ain't broken"

3) Kickers- I don't really need to explain this

4) Injures- Last year seemed like the only year in a while where we didnt lose a multiple major players to IR on both sides of the ball right after week three. The health of the team was pretty stagnant. Hopefully it continues

5) Mitch's development- If Mitch doesn't continue to develop I believe Pace might have to consider looking at a replacement soon. This will be his 3rd year and this is usually when you can really tell how a QB will be down the line

So these are mine, whatcha got?

1) OL will be fine. It is so good that Nagy feels comfortable enough to move Sowell over to TE

2) Pagano's defense is a complete X-factor but Nagy struggled on his 4th down trick plays last year. Now he has the master of punt trick plays to call on so we are better on two fronts.

3) No need to explain? Umm did you MISS the blockbuster trade with Oakland? Do I have to remind you how the LAST trade with Oakland worked out? Mic drop.

4) Injuries are no concern since logic says if we have ten years bad luck in a row then we are due for ten years good luck in a row to regress back to the mean. The only REAL concern is why we even need medical staff anymore due to the laws of logic.

5) Mitch is a non-issue. Either he will tear light up like Mohomes and be an MVP candidate or he will suck because of a bad O-line, receivers not doing their part, Nagy making mistakes, Pagano's defense letting him down by regressing, or my favorite one: he really is playing sneaky elite but the media acts like he is just another guy because the media hates Bears QBs. Pick your excuse really. Any and all will justify why Mitch isn't a consensus All-Pro in year 3.

Last edited:

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
I'm worried that Windy City will start his 2020 Mock Draft on Monday. Fucker thinks he is Mel Kiper

I know this sounds like ass kissing but I would far rather read Windy's mocks than Kiper's; and I am NOT a mock draft guy so I really can't tell you how much I despise Kiper making big $$$ for being just as wrong or even more wrong than @WindyCity year to year.

Insert video clip of Bill Tobin and his mailman here.

Kazu2324

Liked Posts:
1. Trubisky's development - The team's long-term success hinges on his development. If Trubisky can be what the team envisions, then regardless of the other set backs, there's always a chance to be successful. If he regresses or doesn't come close to expectations, then the team's only good for as long as the D is intact, which is a scary though. Also, this season is a big step for his development. Will he take the next step or shit the bed?

2. Kickers - obviously

3. OL - no tackle depth. If Leno or Massie gets hurt, we're fucked. I'm okay with the interior though, there's good depth there.

4. TE - Burton disappeared for a bunch of games last season. No real depth after Burton and Shaheen is a bust/unknown at this point. No one else really stepped up in the group when Burton wasn't playing.

5. RB - will the group mesh? I'm excited to see how they do. Cohen will continue to be an electrifying player, but how will the other guys step up. If the run game is solid, it'd take a lot of pressure off of Mitch as well.

6. Growth in Nagy - there were some questionable decisions and playcalling at times this year. I'm hoping to see him improve on things like time management, TOs, and all that jazz. It got a bit infuriating at times seeing the team burn a time out like 10 mins into a game.

7. Potential regression in D - don't think it'll happen but it's always something in the back of your mind on whether or not things will keep as good as they were. Turnovers can be fickle year-to-year but I'm excited to see how they do and how it'll look under Pagano.

8. Injuries - got pretty lucky last year. Though it makes up for being so unlucky the previous 3 years, but these things are so unpredictable that one injury can make or break your season. Just gotta keep our fingers crossed and hope for no major problems here.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
I know this sounds like ass kissing but I would far rather read Windy's mocks than Kiper's; and I am NOT a mock draft guy so I really can't tell you how much I despise Kiper making big $$$ for being just as wrong or even more wrong than @WindyCity year to year.

Insert video clip of Bill Tobin and his mailman here.
You miss the point which is Windy City has no fucking life outside of creating Mock Drafts. Kinda sad