Thoughts and Observations: Week 2 Denver

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Thoughts and Observations

-The run game was better, but there were 2 players that really hurt the run game. They still are way too soft coming off the ball.

-Kyle Long may need glasses because he consistently misses LBs and gets stuck on his double teams. He was also struggling to move Wolfe off the ball at all.

-James Daniels was awful on the 2nd level. He consistently missed the LBs on the 2nd level and it killed the run game. He was a mess and over ran LBs consistently.

-Massie needs to get off the ball and take a much smaller Von Miller off the ball. He was so passive and didn't stretch the defense horizontally, which is important in the zone run game.

-David Montgomery is very good. He makes a lot of stuff happen when the blocking is not very good.

-Way less Mike Davis please.

-I have ragged on Shaheen and this was a solid game for him as a blocker and catching the ball.

-Charles Leno needs to stop with the penalties he is not good enough for his value to the team to overcome all these penalties. He consistently is killing a drive a game by himself. His work on the goal lines was brutal.

-The pass pro was better. They handled the stunts much better than they did against the Packers.

-The Bears are a bad screen team. There are too many screens that are dead before the ball even gets thrown. They do not trick the defense and they do not block them well at all.

-Bradley Sowell is terrible he was the reason that Montgomery got stuffed on the first goal to go run.

-Akiem Hicks was struggling most of the game with the altitude. He was still good, but man did he look tired.

-Eddie Goldman is awesome. His hustle at 330lbs is really impressive.

-Leonard Floyd can play. He was very hard for the Broncos to contain. He is making a straight line rush at the QB more often and forcing the OT to stop him instead of running around the edge and helping the OT out. The play where he jacks up the TE on the screen and flattens Lindey was a different Floyd than we have seen.

-The RRH bull rush is insane. I would start extension talks with him.

-Aaron Lynch is fat and doesn't practice but he consistently makes plays and contributes with limited snaps.

-Eddie Jackson looks a lot more physical than even last season. He is arriving angry and I wonder if it is that he has a little more freedom to come up close to the line with HHCD behind him.

-So far so good for HHCD.

-I think the biggest Fangio advantage was the he knows that Fuller likes to play off and does not like to turn his back to the QB. They attacked Fuller's side of the field over and over with routes underneath him. Outside of the pick not a great game for Fuller, who was dead by the end of the game.

-Too many Buster Skrine blitzes. He is a nice blitzer, but a QB with Flacco's experience is not going to get fooled 3 times.

-Roquan was good, but he was gassed as well. We did not see the same downhill monster that we saw week 1.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Bears are a bad screen team.

I couldn't agree more and we try to make it a big part of our offense.

What's up with James Daniels? I thought he was a solid draft pick.

SpeedRacer

Liked Posts:
Run game blocking was really bad. Only Montgomery's talent found the yardage.
Leno was soft and lazy.
Mike Davis can be cut right now, he brings nothing.
I see hope in Shaheen.
Yes, terrible screen team. Terrible timing on the setup.
Goldman was fantastic.
Floyd can play.
RRH is good.
Aaron Lynch is making plays.
Defense was very gassed in the altitude. I can see why its hard to win there.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Floyd looks to have taken the step that we had hoped for for years now. Maybe it's the new coordinator? No disrespect to Fangio, and he even gets credit for helping develop Floyd's skill-set. But Floyd put together two impressive games back to back to open the season when we all expected the defense to regress. I'm willing to credit Pagano for keeping this unit in the top 5.

Thank goodness, too. With Hicks and Mack taking nearly every double team, we have needed someone who can burst through a single block and make a play. Goldman, RRH, and Lynch shine in their moments, but Floyd has the speed to disrupt quick passes. Thank goodness he is putting it all together.

Bears_804

Liked Posts:
Floyd looks to have taken the step that we had hoped for for years now. Maybe it's the new coordinator? No disrespect to Fangio, and he even gets credit for helping develop Floyd's skill-set. But Floyd put together two impressive games back to back to open the season when we all expected the defense to regress. I'm willing to credit Pagano for keeping this unit in the top 5.

Thank goodness, too. With Hicks and Mack taking nearly every double team, we have needed someone who can burst through a single block and make a play. Goldman, RRH, and Lynch shine in their moments, but Floyd has the speed to disrupt quick passes. Thank goodness he is putting it all together.
Contract year?

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
Thoughts and Observations

-The run game was better, but there were 2 players that really hurt the run game. They still are way too soft coming off the ball.

-Kyle Long may need glasses because he consistently misses LBs and gets stuck on his double teams. He was also struggling to move Wolfe off the ball at all.

-James Daniels was awful on the 2nd level. He consistently missed the LBs on the 2nd level and it killed the run game. He was a mess and over ran LBs consistently.

-Massie needs to get off the ball and take a much smaller Von Miller off the ball. He was so passive and didn't stretch the defense horizontally, which is important in the zone run game.

-David Montgomery is very good. He makes a lot of stuff happen when the blocking is not very good.

-Way less Mike Davis please.

-I have ragged on Shaheen and this was a solid game for him as a blocker and catching the ball.

-Charles Leno needs to stop with the penalties he is not good enough for his value to the team to overcome all these penalties. He consistently is killing a drive a game by himself. His work on the goal lines was brutal.

-The pass pro was better. They handled the stunts much better than they did against the Packers.

-The Bears are a bad screen team. There are too many screens that are dead before the ball even gets thrown. They do not trick the defense and they do not block them well at all.

-Bradley Sowell is terrible he was the reason that Montgomery got stuffed on the first goal to go run.

-Akiem Hicks was struggling most of the game with the altitude. He was still good, but man did he look tired.

-Eddie Goldman is awesome. His hustle at 330lbs is really impressive.

-Leonard Floyd can play. He was very hard for the Broncos to contain. He is making a straight line rush at the QB more often and forcing the OT to stop him instead of running around the edge and helping the OT out. The play where he jacks up the TE on the screen and flattens Lindey was a different Floyd than we have seen.

-The RRH bull rush is insane. I would start extension talks with him.

-Aaron Lynch is fat and doesn't practice but he consistently makes plays and contributes with limited snaps.

-Eddie Jackson looks a lot more physical than even last season. He is arriving angry and I wonder if it is that he has a little more freedom to come up close to the line with HHCD behind him.

-So far so good for HHCD.

-I think the biggest Fangio advantage was the he knows that Fuller likes to play off and does not like to turn his back to the QB. They attacked Fuller's side of the field over and over with routes underneath him. Outside of the pick not a great game for Fuller, who was dead by the end of the game.

-Too many Buster Skrine blitzes. He is a nice blitzer, but a QB with Flacco's experience is not going to get fooled 3 times.

-Roquan was good, but he was gassed as well. We did not see the same downhill monster that we saw week 1.
Some great observations.

There are reasons some of these things didnt go well.
Roquan was gassed... but Roquan was not attacked nor a weakness. He is getting the recognition of being unfuckwithable. And hes only getting better as a total and complete player. I think he's going to Canton if he stays healthy. Not too early to say it. If he focuses on ball he's going to be the legit leader of the Bears defense someday. Everything a DC can call revolves around the flexibility of the MLB. And Quan can do almost everything at an elite level. He however os not Urlacher in the deep middle, not yet at least.

The screen game suffered because the ball doesn't consistently get down field and defenses are stepping towards the LOS at the snap. Predicting short throws. Were not fooling anyone here.

Skrine blitzing against a pocket passer caught me by surprise, maybe thats part of Chuck Paganos genius. But to me, using the nickel to blitz mobile QBs is obvious but also effective. You want him to roll a certain way but you want someone shifty enough to chase him and catch him. Against pocket passers passes it's super risky. But i cant argue with Paganos success.

RRH... amazing leaps. Floyd is the real deal. Shaheen did play well. Eddie is a special NT.

I dont think we've seen a great game from Hicks yet. He's played well but weve seen better from him. The d is playing great if Hicks starts to come on strong we might be even better. Thats kinda scary.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:

It's too early for this. He FINALLY strung together a few good games. He's not outta the woods. My bet is he starts disappearing again later in the year.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The Bears are a bad screen team.

I couldn't agree more and we try to make it a big part of our offense.

What's up with James Daniels? I thought he was a solid draft pick.

He was dominant on a lot of reps, but brutal on the 2nd level.

He is getting up to the 2nd level to late and the LB is already at full speed, instead of getting him before he gets going.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
I still dream of the day the offense puts points on the goddamn board so these pass rushers can actually cut loose. It's too easy for the Flaccos, Brock Lobsters of the world to sit back and rip quick passes .

redgrange19

Eater of Ham
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I'd be good if we never ran another play with Mike Davis. If he gets more than 3 yards it's a miracle.

Floyd is a damn baller out there, dude has stepped his game up big time.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
When Mike Davis is in the game and isn't used as a pass blocker, it's a shock. Then he does nothing with the ball. But hey, at least he hasn't fumbled it yet! :D

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
It's too early for this. He FINALLY strung together a few good games. He's not outta the woods. My bet is he starts disappearing again later in the year.
For me, it's not just that he had two good games in a row. He's had several games where he showed up and played well.

I think these past two games have been his best, or at least in his top five, and he did it by playing with top notch fundamentals and a focus on improving the little things. It didn't look like he was relying on winning with athleticism, but instead that he has been putting himself in good situations to win with athleticism. It sounds like splitting hairs and maybe there is a better way for me to say it, but he's been playing with real smarts out there.

Even if he does disappear for a couple games, I think his arrow is pointing up, and that this is going to be part of a positive trend