Thoughts and Observations Week 3

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

-Washington is a bad defense, but they do not have some players who can play the game, so I do not think finally getting the offense going against them is a hollow victory.

-This was a much better game plan from Nagy and we started to see more WRs that were schemed open, more mismatches, and more defenders put in bad positions. I did not like how conservative they were in the 3rd quarter, but he is playing to win the game and not have a huge offensive game and in tight games that will be useful.

-Mitch was good. He wasn't perfect. But, if we are going to kill him when he is bad then we should give him credit when he was good. I only had issues with 2 throws and those were the interception, obviously that was a hideous throw and the deep in cut to Montgomery in the 2nd quarter that he air mailed. It was nice to see him be more aggressive and we can only hope that this gets his mojo going and we can build off of it. If this is the base performance [obviously not the stat line], but how he played that would be super positive. Still needs to get his mechanics tightened up and get a little more consistent.

-David Montgomery is good. The OL is bad. Imagine what he would do with actual holes and not guys just standing up at the line and getting pushed around.

-The Bears need to get Tarik Cohen more involved. They are handing him the ball more, but where are those super effective option routes out of the backfield? The move he put on Landon Collins was mean spirited.

-Finally, another Bears WR showed some life. Gabriel had a nice game and the catch in the end zone was really nice work. That connection needs to continue to develop.

-Allen Robinson is so good in the middle of the field. I like what Nagy did moving him around early and using him short and early to get Mitch dialed in and string some completions together.

-Anthony Miller go up with 2 hands. The deep sideline throw on the free play could have been a better ball, but a lot of WRs in the league make that catch. Dive, go out with 2 hands, make a play and help out your QB. He did the same thing later on a 15 yard deep out route where Mitch probably hummed to fast a pass in there, but 1 hand gave him no shot.

-Give me more Javon Wims please. Trubisky seems to trust him and the huge catch radius is something the Bears can use in tight situations.

-I will comment more on the OL when I re-watch the game, but first impressions.

-Charles Leno was better, but he started at worst player on offense not named Mitch so an improvement was the base of what we could expect.

-I am starting to questions this Whitehair-Daniels switch. On paper it made sense, but neither has looked as good as they did last season. But they did it and are pot committed now.

-Kyle Long has been bad this season. He was unwatchable bad last night. He was routinely abused by Ionnadis in the passing game and in the run game missed defenders and was pulling late in the game like a broken mule limping around. He might be done.

-I was mad when Cornelius Lucas made the team, but he was solid last night. Ryan Kerrigan is a legit pass rusher and we did not hear a ton from him.

-Trey Burton with a little life. This is where I think the most improvement can come from on offense as he gets more involved.

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

-Washington is a bad defense, but they do not have some players who can play the game, so I do not think finally getting the offense going against them is a hollow victory.

-This was a much better game plan from Nagy and we started to see more WRs that were schemed open, more mismatches, and more defenders put in bad positions. I did not like how conservative they were in the 3rd quarter, but he is playing to win the game and not have a huge offensive game and in tight games that will be useful.

-Mitch was good. He wasn't perfect. But, if we are going to kill him when he is bad then we should give him credit when he was good. I only had issues with 2 throws and those were the interception, obviously that was a hideous throw and the deep in cut to Montgomery in the 2nd quarter that he air mailed. It was nice to see him be more aggressive and we can only hope that this gets his mojo going and we can build off of it. If this is the base performance [obviously not the stat line], but how he played that would be super positive. Still needs to get his mechanics tightened up and get a little more consistent.

-David Montgomery is good. The OL is bad. Imagine what he would do with actual holes and not guys just standing up at the line and getting pushed around.

-The Bears need to get Tarik Cohen more involved. They are handing him the ball more, but where are those super effective option routes out of the backfield? The move he put on Landon Collins was mean spirited.

-Finally, another Bears WR showed some life. Gabriel had a nice game and the catch in the end zone was really nice work. That connection needs to continue to develop.

-Allen Robinson is so good in the middle of the field. I like what Nagy did moving him around early and using him short and early to get Mitch dialed in and string some completions together.

-Anthony Miller go up with 2 hands. The deep sideline throw on the free play could have been a better ball, but a lot of WRs in the league make that catch. Dive, go out with 2 hands, make a play and help out your QB. He did the same thing later on a 15 yard deep out route where Mitch probably hummed to fast a pass in there, but 1 hand gave him no shot.

-Give me more Javon Wims please. Trubisky seems to trust him and the huge catch radius is something the Bears can use in tight situations.

-I will comment more on the OL when I re-watch the game, but first impressions.

-Charles Leno was better, but he started at worst player on offense not named Mitch so an improvement was the base of what we could expect.

-I am starting to questions this Whitehair-Daniels switch. On paper it made sense, but neither has looked as good as they did last season. But they did it and are pot committed now.

-Kyle Long has been bad this season. He was unwatchable bad last night. He was routinely abused by Ionnadis in the passing game and in the run game missed defenders and was pulling late in the game like a broken mule limping around. He might be done.

-I was mad when Cornelius Lucas made the team, but he was solid last night. Ryan Kerrigan is a legit pass rusher and we did not hear a ton from him.

-Trey Burton with a little life. This is where I think the most improvement can come from on offense as he gets more involved.
Long has been done for a couple years (and frankly IMO wasn't ever that great just a great name). A lot of us saw this coming.. he's the worst player on the line.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Mitch just seems off balance when he delivers longer balls from the pocket, stiff and like he can't get to his front foot. That was what caused the mis to Monty, which was bad as OP stated. Seems to be thinking way too much and getting a little jumpy. The OL has started out awful in every game, and once a QB gets sped up a few times it's difficult to slow down (at least for someone Mitch's caliber right now).

Monty is brutally difficult to tackle for DL and LB, imagine what it'll be like for DBs when he comes with a head of steam.

Long should probably be replaced. But it's also just sort of looking like this OL is going to be below average, and that's something this team just can't afford.

Agree on Wims, he can box out and get the back should throws. Should be in there more.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
The O line is my major concern at this point. Obviously Trubisky needs to play better but I'm starting to think he is what he is.

Getting the run game going would be the best way to help out a struggling QB, but the line cannot fucking block. It's like the Bears have to resort to this short pass game because Trubisky struggles with anticipation on the interdiate routes, and the line cannot run block.

jc456

Liked Posts:
Mitch was better, but, Mitch wasn't good. He had one good throw, most probably the best throw in his career and video overturned the poor official's call in the endzone. How pathetic that the bears can't get one fking call out of a ref. I would have thrown a challenge flag on the pick at the goal line, the dude held our receiver to be in the spot to make the pick. Just saying, his arm went around the receiver's neck and pulled him. But fk, it's the bears so no need to call it. How many hands to the face did our team make last night?

penalties still possess this team. on both sides of the ball as well as ST's.

And mitch couldn't win a game to save his soul, no matter how good anyone thought he played last night. I was seriously concerned he wasn't going to throw the ball on the first TD. wow, he held it for five steps while the receiver was wide fking open. he did throw finally, but come on man.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You probably don't need to say more than that, lol. They were outstanding. Not even gonna complain about them getting way less aggressive in the second half.
Even subliminally?

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
I love how posters are clamoring for coaches to throw the challenge flag on debatable PI no calls. That’s not even what the new rule is for. It’s for obvious fouls.

And another thing, that wasn’t PI on Robinson, it was holding when he grabbed him, so it wouldn’t be reviewable anyway.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Mitch was better, but, Mitch wasn't good. He had one good throw, most probably the best throw in his career and video overturned the poor official's call in the endzone. How pathetic that the bears can't get one fking call out of a ref. I would have thrown a challenge flag on the pick at the goal line, the dude held our receiver to be in the spot to make the pick. Just saying, his arm went around the receiver's neck and pulled him. But fk, it's the bears so no need to call it. How many hands to the face did our team make last night?

And mitch couldn't win a game to save his soul, no matter how good anyone thought he played last night. I was seriously concerned he wasn't going to throw the ball on the first TD. wow, he held it for five steps while the receiver was wide fking open. he did throw finally, but come on man.

Perfect= good game. Got it.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
You probably don't need to say more than that, lol. They were outstanding. Not even gonna complain about them getting way less aggressive in the second half.
penalties though

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
OL thoughts:

Long - Why not try him at tackle? Seriously, he was a tackle in college and dabbled at it previously. At guard I see him look underpowered. Maybe he'd do better in space? Just a thought. Anyway, this year his cap number is $5.6M. Next year it jumps to $9.6M. Coming off last year, which was so-so, I'm wondering if the 31 year old guard is regressing. The interior is tricky. Greats like Olin Kreutz won for a long time with great fundamentals. When he got just old enough where his power took a step back he was walked back regularly. I'm seeing this with Kyle. He's needing to load up more for contact, which is making him miss his target more often.

Tackles - Was the weakest part of this roster. Massie is out and somehow they might have been the strength of the group? Interesting.

Whitehair-Daniels change not working out - I called this. You guys bashed me. I'm the greatest. On the inside I am this little girl:

giphy.gif

Seriously though, my logic is fairly simple - Both players are young and developing. Leave as much 'as is' and they will probably continue to get better together. Make a fairly large change and on paper it might work, but in the context of chemistry it makes sense to expect some regression.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
My house had a momentary power loss and my effing computer rebooted during the Reddit stream.

I feel like I missed a play to Miller where he gave Trubisky an ear full or look....what happened there?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Defense

-The penalties are getting a little ridiculous. Prince especially with a really rough start to the season.

-Khalil Mack dominated that game. I am not sure what else to write. He is better than everyone else on the field. The way he varies his speed and then hits the burst and bend isn't human.

-Leonard Floyd is consistently dominating OTs and creating on defense. No sacks last night, but close on a ton and consistent disruption. I thought it was hilarious when Booger was like, "I would run at 94" and I laughed because that has always been one of his strengths that he can stack and shed.

-Irving just isn't athletic enough. There was a long Chris Thompson screen in the 4th quarter that he red perfectly and was just not athletic enough to get to the ball carrier and even get a hand on him.

-Aaron Lynch continues to be a solid #3 OLB. The offside was close and he is a big physical dude that offers a different look to Floyd.

-This was a quiet game for Roquan and I would like to see Pagano put him in a position to make more big plays. I know he is really good in coverage, but I cannot remember a single blitz by him this season.

-What a game from Trevathan. These are the games where I am not sure you let him walk in the offseason. The sack was awesome, the huge play on 4th down was exceptional and he continues to be the physical hammer next to Roquan's speed.

-I would like Kyle Fuller to continue to play the technique that allows him to pick off a ton of passes and allow low passer ratings.

-Prince has had a rough start to the beginning of the season.

-Ha Ha Clinton-Dix looks like a player. His ability to read the QB and break on the ball looked really good yesterday and obviously he can catch the ball and run with it. I think this is an interesting development to the defense. They now have a rangy interception threat on both sides of the defense. That makes it far more dangerous to throw the ball up when being pressured or trying tight window down field throws.

-Eddie Jackson looks angry this season. He looks way more physical and like he has been unleashed to come down field.

Last edited:

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
OL thoughts:

Long - Why not try him at tackle? Seriously, he was a tackle in college and dabbled at it previously. At guard I see him look underpowered. Maybe he'd do better in space? Just a thought. Anyway, this year his cap number is $5.6M. Next year it jumps to $9.6M. Coming off last year, which was so-so, I'm wondering if the 31 year old guard is regressing. The interior is tricky. Greats like Olin Kreutz won for a long time with great fundamentals. When he got just old enough where his power took a step back he was walked back regularly. I'm seeing this with Kyle. He's needing to load up more for contact, which is making him miss his target more often.

Tackles - Was the weakest part of this roster. Massie is out and somehow they might have been the strength of the group? Interesting.

Whitehair-Daniels change not working out - I called this. You guys bashed me. I'm the greatest. On the inside I am this little girl:

giphy.gif

Seriously though, my logic is fairly simple - Both players are young and developing. Leave as much 'as is' and they will probably continue to get better together. Make a fairly large change and on paper it might work, but in the context of chemistry it makes sense to expect some regression.

They tried this when he was healthy and it was an absolute disaster. As average to bad that Massie-Leno have been this year there is no way Long can swing outside at this point in his career. 0% chance.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Not Bears related, but has to do with yesterday's game:

https://deadspin.com/of-course-the-skins-misspelled-london-fletchers-name-du-1838384193

So, the team had this big half time celebration to bring London Fletcher into their ring of honor. Let's just ignore that less thank 1/2 of his NFL career was with that team. They went off and they did this:

London-Fletcher-390x205.jpg

I honestly think being a Washington fan is the NFL's version of hell. If you were a fan and decided not to leave after the 28-3 first half whoopin' so you could see London get honored they found a way to let you down.

Edit/Addition:

Last edited:

Angry Boomer

President Mayhem
Donator
Liked Posts:
Offense...

Bears were getting to the line with plenty of Time for Mitch to make adjustments and change plays..PLUS
Trubisky was much improved over the first 2 game... PLUS
Long did not have a very good game..MINUS

Defense..
AWESOME, although they got tired late in the game again

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
trubs looks like he is gon be just a guy, which is sad. looks the bears will have to call games to reduce what they ask of him.

it sucks, but would be workable if the bears had a strong run game. but somehow, the OL is terrible at runblocking this year. its baffling how they lost that nasty edge in one offseason. Maybe its Daniels at C, idk. But with trubs looking pedestrian, its a big problem.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
trubs looks like he is gon be just a guy, which is sad. looks the bears will have to call games to reduce what they ask of him.

it sucks, but would be workable if the bears had a strong run game. but somehow, the OL is terrible at runblocking this year. its baffling how they lost that nasty edge in one offseason. Maybe its Daniels at C, idk. But with trubs looking pedestrian, its a big problem.

Not excusing trubs from the convo because he has been dog shit but the O Line play needs to improve. There aren't really any adequate to good offenses that have a completely piss poor o line. The last 2 years have been mediocre at best at the for the line and I recall these problems when Howard was around. The difference is at least Monty seems to be able to shake 1 guy or find some space to gain a few yards, as opposed to Howard going down behind the LOS. Maybe they need to fire Heistand.